Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2018] Pre-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
We officially have our first two entries for the 2018 List! The results of the pre-poll showed that the majority of voters wanted these suggestions automatically added to the list:

- A Book from the 2017 GR Choice Awards
- A book published in 2018

Suggestions will open for the first round tomorrow, June 8.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments It's so interesting to me that people opted for some, but not all, of the "automatic" topics. For me, adding 6 that are repeats seemed too many, but these are the 2 that I voted for, so I'm happy to see that other people happened to have the same taste as me on this one.

I'm so looking forward to starting the suggesting & voting process.

message 3: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Nooooooooooo!

message 4: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments So just out of curiosity, what about the 4 other suggestions? Are they still up for voting if they get suggested or have they now been voted out?

message 5: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3235 comments I can deal with these two. I think if you don't use or have access to a good library or get ARC's, these two might be the most expensive topics to accomplish for some people. But it worked out for everyone this year so I guess it will again next year too. :-)

message 6: by Silvia (last edited Jun 07, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1064 comments I really wanted the category "A previous suggestion that didn't make the list", because my favorite suggestions almost never win :D

message 7: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments Most of the time, I pick interesting books for the choice awards so it's nice to have the category again. And I try to read new releases when they aren't too expensive, so books published in 2018 will be on my TBR for sure. I'll miss a previous suggestion because it's interesting to see what people chose and a book you meant to read because there's always some leftovers.

message 8: by Nicole (last edited Jun 07, 2017 08:16AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Marina H wrote: "So just out of curiosity, what about the 4 other suggestions? Are they still up for voting if they get suggested or have they now been voted out?"

Here is the info regarding the poll about automatic prompts:

The Pre-Poll
- Some members have expressed a concern that some themes are consistently popular and pull the votes from other interesting choices. They argue that these themes should be automatically included.
- But since we know there are many members in our group, we want to be sure their voices are heard.
- These are the six themes being considered:

* A previous suggestion that didn't make the list
* Reader's Choice
* A category from another challenge
* A Book from the GR Choice Awards
* A book you meant to read in 2017
* A book published in 2018

Voting ends June 7

Here is the poll we voted in regarding the automatic prompts for the 2018 challenge. Voting ended yesterday, but here you can see the options that were included for voting.

1. Do you want some themes to be automatically included in the 2018 RC?
-Yes, include all six themes (see below) automatically (they will not be included in the suggestion process)
-No, let them be included in the regular polls
-No, I don't want them included at all.
-No, I only want SOME of these themes automatically included (CHOOSE WHICH ONES IN QUESTION 2)

2. I want only some of the themes automatically included (CHOOSE ALL THAT APPLY)
-A previous suggestion that didn't make the list
-Reader's Choice
-A category from another challenge
-A Book from the GR Choice Awards
-A book you meant to read in 2017
-A book published in 2018
-Does not apply to me (I chose A, B, or C in question 1)

So, voting is over & the only ones that are automatically added in are the two that Laura listed above. I don't know if that means that the other four options can be voted in later, or if the other four are out completely.

message 9: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
Marina, we're not going to allow those four prompts until the second half of voting so after poll 6 we can decide if we want to allow them. Based on how the other polls are shaping up.

message 10: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Laura wrote: "Marina, we're not going to allow those four prompts until the second half of voting so after poll 6 we can decide if we want to allow them. Based on how the other polls are shaping up."

Thanks Laura. I was just curious and couldn't remember if you had already wrote it somewhere :-)

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2807 comments I'm actually glad it's only a few of the prompts that made the final list, and those are the top 2 that I would have kept. I think I voted for at least one more, but I'm fine with it being just these. I think both are broad enough that anyone can find something that interests them.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I guess I am in the minority I found all of those prompts very easy to fill. I don't enjoy the prompts that are really specific that force me to read books I don't enjoy. Seemed like there were lots of fantasy/ magical prompts those are books I really don't like. But have to see how the voting pans out. ;)