What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > adventure to tropical jungle, no text, clues hidden in illustrations

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 3 comments Help - I've been wracking my brain to try and remember anything about this book (enough to look it up, anyway!)
It is a grandfather and granddaughter (?) who area off to find some sort of treasure hidden in a temple/cave (?) in a tropical country.
The book has no text, but:
- within the illustrations are clues, and the motif of a mask (green, with orange hair, similar to south american/melanesian indigenous war masks) recurs on every double page
- each page also has torn up pieces of an old letter that you have to piece together by writing down the text from each piece
- the journey begins in an office, I think, or a museum, but eventually makes its way into the jungle and into the temple/cave.
- there's a treasure map involved

I remember it from the late 80s/early 90s I think. The mask motif is featured on the front cover, if I recall correctly.

Any suggestions as to title or author/illustrator are welcome!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Is it for children, YA, or adults?

message 3: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 3 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Is it for children, YA, or adults?"

Children, not quite young adults but definitely older than 8. It is a picture book after all, despite its complexity.

message 4: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 3 comments BUMP!

Anyone got any ideas?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Nadia, the bump period for this group is 30 days because the group is so large, unless you remember new information which you can add at any time.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Nadia, are you still looking for this or did you find it?