Fantasy Writers and Readers discussion

Fantasy Elements > Writing a Fantasy Book

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grady (new)

Grady Brown | 91 comments Mod
The more I write my upcoming fantasy book, the more I realize that what started as a mere fantasy tale is transforming into a dark fantasy tale. Personally, I like dark fantasy because it ventures into the more complex and morally ambiguous aspects of how we perceive the world. It will not be dark fantasy as in black magic or evil monsters, but will be dark to the point in which you cannot tell if the characters are fundamentally good or evil. Even the main protagonist can be seen as morally ambiguous because of the intense character development he endures at the start of the story. There will be more than just brutal battles and cutthroat politics. There will also be things ranging from cannibalism to corpse robbing. The darkness and glimpses of light in human nature is what it means to live in a medieval world and I incorporate it into my fantasy book. It is like I am reaching deep into my darkest fantasies and manifesting them into my writing. This must be how writers such as Stephen King feels when they write. I feel like a puzzle master constructing the most complex puzzle I can think of with each step I take. I will keep you updated on how much further this story progresses.

message 2: by Grady (new)

I realized that a good fantasy book would not be complete without a good folk song. In medieval times, songs were not just about festivities. They were also a way to tell stories from generation to generation. I am in the process of brainstorming the lyrics of such a song for my fantasy book. In order to write the song, I will be utilizing some of the poetry skills I acquired during my recent college classes. This song will be written by the end of the first volume and immortalize a significant event that happens in the middle of the story.

message 3: by Grady (new)

I have finished watching another documentary about life in medieval times and learned a great deal about medieval food, particularly the diet of Henry VIII, who was both a carnivore and had an insatiable sweet-tooth (which are things I can relate to). The food was elegant yet fattening, but it fits what I was imagining for the food in my fantasy series. I will therefore base the diet of both royalty and nobility on the diet of the Tudor Dynasty. In order to better understand the taste and texture of such dishes, I bought a medieval cookbook so I can cook some of these meals and sample them myself. This way, I will better be able to describe what the characters are eating while they are either in a banquet hall or camping in the woods. It is going to be an interesting experiment and I don’t think I have ever delved this deep while researching for a project. Due to my commitment to this fantasy series, I hope the rewards will be worthwhile. I will keep you updated on any further developments.

message 4: by Grady (new)

As my writing continues to progress and evolve, I realized that a number of my current projects are beginning to develop political themes. In my spare time, I have been watching the news and reading various books that have given me a basic understanding of politics. I am beginning to understand how governments hold together and what can potentially tear regimes apart. As a result, this new sense of understanding and clarity began to instinctively assimilate into my writing. Due to this, my sequel superhero series and fantasy series are going to be much more political than any of my previous works. Until recently, I have been ignorant about how politics work, but now I have gained more insight that will allow me to write my forthcoming stories to whole new levels.

message 5: by Grady (new)

I have reached the twenty-fifth chapter of my fantasy book and this is one of the scenes I have been waiting for. In this chapter, the main character will encounter something that is both dark and ancient. Encountering this mysterious creature will reveal the mystical aspects of my fantasy world as well as some of its backstory. It will be a serious life or death situation that has a very costly twist.

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon Rudman (simonmrudmangmailcom) | 5 comments Hi Grady

What is the title of your book?

I'm very interested in your posts above because When I wrote Threads of an Empire, it started off as an immersive historical fiction with political machinations and visceral battles. As soon as I researched more about some of the Carthaginian's macabre customs and how much they feared their dread gods, it quickly became a dark fantasy, interwoven between epic historical events!

My biggest concern was that it was such a "cross genre" book that it wouldn't have a natural fan base!

message 7: by Grady (new)

Simon wrote: "Hi Grady

What is the title of your book?

I'm very interested in your posts above because When I wrote Threads of an Empire, it started off as an immersive historical fiction with political machin..."

I have not come up with a title yet, but it is a work in progress. Your work also sounds interesting.

message 8: by Grady (new)

While doing research for my fantasy book, I discovered that my Celtic ancestors had a reputation for being headhunters. This was one of the reasons the Romans feared them with great passion. I am thinking of including this practice in my fantasy book as a way for some groups to claim and preserve the heads of their defeated enemies and keep them as trophies.

message 9: by Grady (new)

The story of the underdog has always been one of the most enjoyable themes in storytelling. I like how a character becomes an unlikely hero and overcomes immense odds. That is essentially what my fantasy trilogy will be about. My protagonist will start out having a normal life of comfort until he loses everything in one fell swoop. Afterwards, the protagonist is on the run in the wilderness with only a sword in his hand and the clothes on his back. Over time, the protagonist will gradually gain followers after a series of insane chance encounters and overcoming impossible odds. In fantasy, one could call an underdog story “from rags to riches”.

message 10: by Grady (new)

I have finished the first 200 pages of my fantasy book! At this point, I think I may be about halfway there. Only time will tell when the finish line will be in sight. Wish me luck!

message 11: by Grady (new)

I thought of an interesting feature to add to the siege battle in my fantasy book. In my medieval research, I learned that some siege battles included a tactic that involved what is called a sally port. A sally port is a small, easily concealed and defensive hole in the side of a castle in which a small force of defenders can sneak out and sabotage or fend off invaders before retreating back into the hole to regroup. I am on the verge of writing a scene that involves to usage of a sally port and it will be chaotic and full of loss.

message 12: by Grady (new)

https://www.facebook.com/GPBFantasyBo...

My fantasy books now have their Facebook Page. They are not yet published and they are still in the works, but this website will keep you updated on any new developments.

message 13: by Grady (new)

I came across an interesting discovery regarding Henry VIII. Before he let himself go, Henry was a prolific athlete and often participated in jousting tournaments. However, he had two notable jousting accidents that left him with several concussions and ulcerous wounds on his legs. The concussions gave him emotional and psychological instability while his leg injuries left him in a constant state of debilitating pain. These unpredictable mood swings combined with being in pain all the time may have contributed to him becoming a tyrant. For my fantasy book, I am thinking of incorporating similar injuries to the main villain. At first, he will start out as a competent ruler, but his wounds eventually turn him into a tyrant.

message 14: by Grady (new)

I had an interesting idea for my fantasy series and it concerns the idea of mistresses and illegitimate children. In my medieval research, I discovered that Vikings and Normans frequently had many mistresses in addition to their lawful wives. As a result, they would have a lot of illegitimate children. William the Conqueror was one such illegitimate child and look what became of him. This was before Christianity insisted that having mistresses and illegitimate children were shameful. To the Vikings and Normans, there was no discernible difference between “illegitimate” or “legitimate” children. They would often give their illegitimate children their own land, wealth, titles, and lands. Also, I discovered that the ancient Chinese emperors had concubines and since my fantasy series takes place in an empire, all of these concepts would fit well with the setting. I am thinking of incorporating these ideas in my fantasy book, but with my own unique twist to it.

message 15: by Grady (new)

Over the past few weeks, I have been writing my fantasy book like clockwork. In fact, yesterday I have written twenty pages! With each chapter and scene I write, the larger and more complex my fantasy world becomes. It is gaining a lot more moving parts that explore areas of politics, warfare, and magic. I depicted scenes that featured the relationship between the various baronies in the current kingdom and the beginnings of an all-out rebellion against the monarchy. Also, I have written how the current emperor of the continent handles political situations such as quelling revolts and finding ways to appease his subjects. In addition, I have written an extraordinary transformation my main character undergoes during his time in exile. It has been a very glorious process that is hopelessly addictive!

message 16: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments Twenty pages in a single day? Whoa!

And I know well how addictive it is... I might take a break from writing as I sort out things in my head, but there's no day when I would not think about it at least a bit. It's nice to see someone share his enthusiasm about it. Hell, I'd like to share my enthusiasm for my work but my habit to keep secrets and a bit of fear keep me from it :-(

Good luck, keep writing and keep sharing your thoughts, it's nice to read them.

message 17: by Grady (new)

Today, I have passed the 250 page marker in my fantasy book and am reaching the 260 page marker. I am on fire! Ouch!

message 18: by Grady (new)

https://gradypbrown.wordpress.com/201...
Here is a weapon design I intend to include in my fantasy book. Check it out!

message 19: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments I decided to prefer word count for length, at least before publication, because pages are relative due to font size, formatting and such. For example, Word states my current status is ~240000 words at ~450 pages A4 format (210x297mm) but converted to kindle format it's around 800 pages of what I presume to be usual book page (as recalculated by Calibre which I use for test conversion). I guess that there is some algorithm how Amazon counts pages for ebooks.

message 20: by Grady (new)

So far, the word count of my first fantasy book is just over 40,000 words for 254 pages and counting.

message 21: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments Do you have any guess how long it'll be at the end? I realize it's hard to guess, but just maybe?

The weapon itself looks interesting and I think it's nice to see some inspiration from history. I mentioned in another topic how my perception about fantasy cities changed/evolved after seeing a documentary about ancient Rome and the infrastructure it had (aqueducts, etc.) or the organization of their army and how the legionnaires were used by what was needed at that specific time.

And rulers are another category. There was Rudolph II of house Habsburg who had his sanity challenged, was known as collector of arts and curiosities and supporting artists, alchemists astrologists and such (rumor is that he caused several debts that way). Generally, Habsburg dynasty had later several problems because of inbreeding as they tried to hold their lands (which was probably much worse than bastard children, at least for their health in long term).

message 22: by Grady (last edited Jun 21, 2017 04:35AM) (new)

It may be as big as 500 or 600 pages. Maybe more. I have just written 15 pages today and reached 41,302 words. I can't stop writing!

message 23: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments Nice.
*Dory voice* Just keep writing, just keep writing!

My best was streak was ~10000 words in two days I believe... definitely hard to stop.

message 24: by Grady (new)

In the past three days, I have written forty-one pages and done three chapters. I am on the verge of writing the epic conclusion of the siege battle. An army has been raised. A rebellion is growing. At the end of this first book, the phoenix will rise! I have so much writing energy right now that I think I might finish this story by the end of the year or sooner. I look forward to the conclusion of this exciting new writing project and I will keep you updated on any further developments.

message 25: by Grady (new)

I have reached 273 pages and 43,126 words in my fantasy book.

message 26: by Grady (new)

Here are my thoughts of including viking-style funeral pyres in my fantasy book.

message 27: by Grady (new)

Here is another exotic weapon I hope to include in my fantasy book.

message 28: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments Nice. I don't want to hijack this discussion by my questions, could I ask you something in PM?

message 29: by Grady (last edited Jun 23, 2017 01:40AM) (new)

Tomas wrote: "Nice. I don't want to hijack this discussion by my questions, could I ask you something in PM?"

PM? What do you mean? Private message?

message 30: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments Yep

message 31: by Grady (new)

I have started the epic conclusion of the siege battle and have reached the 290 page marker. This is where the suspense will be at its greatest. Will the defenders survive? Will the invaders be defeated? Will the relief force arrive in time? So many factors are falling into place and it is keeping me on edge. I will keep you updated on any further developments.

message 32: by Grady (new)

I have written twenty pages in a single day, reaching page 313! Seven Hells, that was a glorious day! I have finished the epic conclusion of the siege battle and it had exceeded my expectations! Now I am about to write the aftermath of the siege battle and it is going to be grisly and dark, but that is the reality of medieval life. I will keep you updated on any further developments!

message 33: by Grady (new)

I have written another twenty pages today and reached page 338! I am striking the iron while it is still hot and it is truly rapturous! In these chapters, I wrote a duel to the death, more cutthroat politics, and brutal strategies for future battles. A revolution is unfolding and it will consume the first of many kingdoms! The story is getting more intense with each page and chapter I write. I cannot get enough writing this story! I will keep you updated on any further developments.

message 34: by Grady (new)

I have finally finished the first volume of my fantasy trilogy! It has been a very enjoyable experience engaging this project. I gave the story a dark and foreboding ending that promises an even more epic sequel. I have now officially set a new record of writing a whole book in just six months. Normally it takes me a year or so to write a whole book so this sets the bar even higher than before. I look forward to my next project. Wish me luck and I will keep you updated.

message 35: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments Well done!

message 36: by Grady (new)

Numen Magnus is heir to the castle of Magnus Keep, but has everything taken from him by a barbaric king. With his home destroyed and family murdered, Numen must fight to survive in the uncharted wilderness of Umbran. Along his journey, Numen discovers something significant about his heritage and seeks to turn his enemies to ash. Numen the Slayer is a fantasy underdog story where one young man can decide the fate of a kingdom. The Gold Phoenix rises!

Trailer: https://youtu.be/4AxljV_EP2I

message 37: by Yessica (new)

Yessica Arnold | 3 comments Man… I'm sorry I have been quiet for so long. Just a lot of sleep issues that I have finally gotten sorted out, and a bunch of other stuff. But these teasers sound like they are fantastic.

message 38: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 22 comments I've not commented, but I've keep an eye on the blog, was definitely nice to see the posts about the development. I'll probably give it a try at some point, though no idea when it'll be.