The Post Card Exchange discussion

Postcards for Literacy

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Hello! My name is Elizabeth and I am a children's librarian in Pennsylvania, USA. This summer, our reading program's theme is "Build a Better World" and I am trying to get our local kids to be more globally minded.

In an effort to do this, I am wondering if folks from around the world (and within the US) would be so kind as to send us some postcards and share their favorite children's book and a fact or two about where they live or their culture. I bought us an enormous globe beachball and am hoping to mark off all the places we have "visited" through the postcards we receive with the kids, as well as read the cards aloud at Story Time.

I cannot promise that we will write back, but I thank you so much for your generosity and support in this effort if you can! Our program begins next week (June 15th) and ends on July 29th.

If you would like to participate, our address is:

Holt Memorial Library
Attn: Story Time
17. N. Front St
Philipsburg, PA 16830
USA

Please only send cards that would be appropriate for young children (aka nothing with bad words, nudity, pinups, anything scary, etc.)

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Amendment: the zip code should be 16866! I put my town's zip code down instead of the library's. ;-)

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Amendment: the zip code should be 16866! 16830 is my home zip code. I have too many to remember these days :-)

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick Bavera (samwisegamgee) | 6 comments Sending today.

message 5: by Tia Marie (new)

Tia Marie (tiamarienededog) | 170 comments My daughter and I will send from Las Vegas and then again from Guam. We leave for our summer long vacation on Tuesday.

message 6: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 167 comments I will send one too from Huntington Beach Ca

message 7: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 222 comments i'll send one but i'll buy one with a local scene on it. i'm from TN.

message 8: by Adrian (new)

Adrian (adroach) | 45 comments Just completed mine! The library has been a source of great books and memories for me and my son, and I'm so glad to support your program. Thank you for inspiring others to read!

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronicas_visions) | 56 comments Hi Elizabeth,
This is a great idea! I will gladly participate and send a postcard to the address. I have so many childhood books that I love and share.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan (ReadingRover) | 95 comments I can send one!

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Thank you everyone! We will look forward to receiving them :D

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarabasquez) | 64 comments I'm from Washington state, I'll send one!

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments I went into work today and found a number of postcards from everyone! Thank you so much! I am now thinking of a way to decorate with them after we talk about them at story time! Postman brought us even more this afternoon. Thanks so so much!

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 209 comments I will send one this weekend.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) What are postcards for literacy? I'm interested in doing it - I think.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 222 comments read the very top post. Elizabeth explains it. and where to send.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) Thanks, Latasha. Now I see what to do. I must have missed Elizabeth's posting.

message 18: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 222 comments Lisa wrote: "Thanks, Latasha. Now I see what to do. I must have missed Elizabeth's posting."

it's ok.

message 19: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 6 comments I will send one from New Hampshire (where I have lived for the past 15 years), one from Massachusetts (where I grew up and still work in) and one from Puerto Rico (my son is half Puerto Rican and just visited and I have visited before). I will get them in the mail this week. I have a couple of days off from work at the end of the week. This is such a great idea for the kids!!!! :-)

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Wishing so badly I could add a picture to the thread! Thanks for all the amazon postcards! My manager and I created a bunting with the postcards so we can display them as they come in. It looks so awesome so far! Please keep them coming and as always, thanks for your generosity :-)

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments *amazing ;-) crazy autocorrect!

message 22: by Gracienne (new)

Gracienne Standen (graciebellabutterfly) | 1 comments I would love to send one if you are still needing them. I live in Australia :)

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 209 comments Sent one from Melbourne, Australia on Saturday morning.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Yes, please keep the cards coming from any and all locations! :-)

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronicas_visions) | 56 comments I hope you were able to receive mine-show us a photo of what you come up with!

message 26: by Madonna (new)

Madonna | 1 comments One is on the way from Missouri--sounds like a fun project!!

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Perry | 14 comments late to the party but sending from Louisville KY

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Not late at all! :-)

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Thanks everyone! I've got the two cards from Australia plus various US states and territories where you all are from. We appreciate it so much! :-)

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments And India too!

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Perry | 14 comments I am having a bunch of my postcard buddies from Reddit sending cards too

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bare | 36 comments Thanks everyone!!!!

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Perry | 14 comments I hope my card gets to you, I didn't see the amended postal code. you may want to edit the actual main post with the correct code