What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book about a sick child and a stuffed animal.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Haggard | 1 comments I'm trying to remember this book that was read to me in the fourth grade. It was back in 2006 but the book is likely much older than that.

All I can remember is that there was a sick child, I think he or she was in the hospital, and was given a stuffed animal (possibly a teddy bear). After eventually recovering from the illness everything that was around the child while sick had to be burned and the kid got very upset that the stuffed animal he or she was given would also have to be burned. He or she argued and questioned about what would happen to the bed he or she slept in while sick.
The mattress would not be burned but instead disinfected somehow and the child claimed that the same thing could be done to the stuffed animal instead of it being thrown in the furnace.

That is all I remember. I don't know if the child got to keep the stuffed animal or not.

All searches I have made come to "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams but I know that's not the book I am thinking of.

If someone could please help me I'd be forever grateful. I know it's not a lot to go on but maybe it's enough for someone to recognize.

message 2: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments Trying to remember if there were any books other than "The Velveteen Rabbit" like this that my kids read.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 535 comments Bump.

message 4: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (epicfunsize) | 78 comments Could it be The Skin Horse?

message 6: by Florence (new)

Florence | 528 comments Sounds a lot like The Skin Horse, agreed!