What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Picture Book in Which Little Girl Goes Inside Her Doll House and Plays Croquet With a Skull. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 2 comments Hi everyone,

When I was little we had this creepy picture book that I loved. At some point it got lost and I've been trying to track down the title or author for years with no luck. I'm hoping one of you can help me. Here's what I remember:

The book was the size and shape of a picture book and had very few, if any words, though it wasn't meant for children. From what I remember, the general plot is that it's a little girl's birthday. She somehow ends up inside her doll house (I think) and goes looking for all of the people (dolls) that usually inhabit it. She can't find anyone but in the pictures there are clues that suggest all of the people are dead. For example, when she doesn't find the gardener in the greenhouse she plays croquet but the ball is a skull. Then she goes to the canal to talk to a woman that usually sits on a bench there but the woman is not there. In the background, however, you see the woman's umbrella floating in the canal. The book ends with the girl going to her birthday party where there is a gift waiting but no people. Inside the gift is a key to a locked door in the doll house. We are never shown what's behind the door.

Sorry, I know this isn't much to go on. I haven't read it in years and forget a lot of the details but the image of the girl playing croquet with the skull will always stick with me. I'm not sure how long ago it was published but it has to have been before 2000 at least.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 521 comments This blog post has some images from inside the book Ayshe suggested. Maybe they look familiar? I have to say, this book sounds fascinating! I might need to see if I can track this one down for myself. :)

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 2 comments Wow thank you both so much! As soon as I saw the cover I knew this was it! Can't wait to read it again :-)