Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > Please correct page count

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Bavera (samwisegamgee) | 64 comments The following book is showing incorrect page count.

I have the hard cover book, and am reading it now. Including the "pre-amble" (prolog), which is numbered separately from the main part of the book, the page count is 320

ISBN: 9781611803457

Here is link to hardcover copy of the book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Thanks. Rick

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23834 comments Rick how are those prolog pages numbered? If they are roman numerals, they don't count according to Goodreads policies.

WorldCat is saying 286 pages.

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick Bavera (samwisegamgee) | 64 comments They are Roman numerals, and it is "part of the story", as an extended introduction. It is 34 pages.

The regularly numbered pages are 286.

The number that was in the listing showed 256, so it is wrong in any case.

Thanks for getting back to me! And explaining things (even though I don't agree with the explanation.....pages are pages, and in this case, more "proper" than including things like a book that has a 25 page index or 10 page bibliography or 30 pages of notes that are "numbered" but no one actually "reads", or only rarely).

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23834 comments Sorry, but them's the rules Rick.

Changing the page count to 286.

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick Bavera (samwisegamgee) | 64 comments Sandra wrote: "Sorry, but them's the rules Rick.

Changing the page count to 286."

I understand that those are the rules. Just expressing my opinion that they are lacking in logic. Pages are pages, you know?

Thanks for the change to 286!!

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23834 comments Yeah, I understood :)

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42491 comments Mod
Pages are pages, but we prefer users not need to do arithmetic to figure out what page they are on.