Central IL Readers' Advisory Librarians discussion

What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carey (new)

Carey (careygibbons) | 6 comments Mod
Hi everyone! I was wondering what you were reading now and if it were something you would recommend to patrons. I just finished The Oral History of The Daily Show and loved it. I'm supposed to be reading Landline by Rainbow Rowell for a book club but I'm afraid it will make me cry.

I would definitely recommend The Daily Show book to patrons and really anyone who enjoyed the show, or even just as a sort of time capsule for American politics and political/social attitudes for the time the show was on. It's kind of remarkable just how much influence Jon Stewart had on politics.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth  | 1 comments I liked Landline but it isn't my favorite of Rainbow Rowell's--that is reserved or Eleanor & Park. Landline a good summer read and shouldn't make you cry so go ahead and read it!

I just finished Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst--it's the first in the series and the second book just came out, Reluctant Queen. I'm a little on the fence about it but I think that's because I read the second book first. Overall a good read if you like a fantasy set in a mythical kingdom with spirits, romance and political upheaval.

I'm also reading Crooked Kingdom, the second book in the Six of Crows series. Love it and will be reading more Leigh Bardugo! Similar fantasy kingdom genre with thieves, friendships/romances and political intrigue.

Next up The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak - can't wait!

message 3: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissarecommends) | 1 comments I'm madly reading all the ARCs I picked up at BookExpo last week for my program on June 27 about hot summer reads. I just finished "Stay with Me" and the Woman in the Window. Both were buzz books and are great.

message 4: by Fremom3 (last edited Jun 12, 2017 08:42AM) (new)

Fremom3 | 2 comments I just read The Mistresses of Cliveden. It's a nonfiction look at the origins of a stately manor home outside of London and some of its more colorful residents. The property has royal ties and dates back to the reign of Charles II. Highly recommended for history buffs and fans of shows like Downton Abbey who would like to delve deeper into the background of a real working estate.

I also recently finished an ARC of Final Girls, Riley Sager's highly anticipated nod to slasher flicks. I don't want to say too much, but it will definitely be on the WDL Book Club's "scary" list if enough libraries order it! (Please order it!)

Happy reading, everyone!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vlvolckmann) | 1 comments I recently finished Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig, and thought it was great. The narrator's voice was very unique and I couldn't stop reading! I'm currently reading Blackout by Marc Elsberg which is perfect for readers that enjoy fast paced thrillers.

Oh and I love everything Rainbow Rowell!

message 6: by Carey (new)

I read the first book in Bardugo's first series and it was pretty good. I like fantasy that's a little bit dark.

message 7: by Carey (new)

Did you have fun at BookExpo? Someday, I want to go but my head might explode.

message 8: by Carey (new)

I will pass along a request for our adult fiction person to order it at FDL. We got an ARC of it and it looked good. Seanan McGuire came out with a novella at the same time with the same name that also looks really good.

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Sansom | 2 comments After the last meeting I grabbed an audio copy of the Button Box by Stephen King. It was great! Not at all like some of his last books that I felt fell flat. When we get our copy in I will be telling everyone to read it. My current Cozy is Purr M for Murder, by T C LoTempio. Must say I am becoming tired of all the "I broke up with my husband/fiancee/live in boyfriend and am running home to start a new life". I am listening to Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit by P G Wodehouse for my humor fix.
The Mistresses of Cliveden sounds like a book I will be reading soon.