Genre Specific Review Groups discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Genre Review Groups > Another Science Fiction Review Group (CLOSED)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by L.N. (new)

L.N. Denison | 758 comments Mod
In joining this review group you have agreed to review the novels assigned to you on a two month schedule. This group is now in the review phase and is no longer open for sign up.

SciFi Review Group. As with other review groups, you will be expected to read and give an honest review of the books assigned to you. Assignments will be made after the group sign-up has filled.

Participants are expected to post reviews to Goodreads. The review should be posted to Amazon (US and UK) as well, if the book is available there. This makes having accounts with both Goodreads and Amazon.com a requirement.

Contact the authors you are scheduled to review to arrange to receive a review copy of their work. Note that Amazon has made a minor change in how reviews are displayed. As long as a review that is not verified as a purchase is recent, it will be displayed on the book's Amazon page. Once it rolls off, it will still be counted in the ranking of the book, but the link to show more reviews has been modified by Amazon to show only reviews that come from verified purchases. Authors may consider gifting their book to assigned reviewers so that they will qualify as verified purchases. Reviewers may bypass this limitation by offering to purchase the books assigned to them. All of this is voluntary. Authors may still provide review copies for free, and reviewers can still post reviews to Amazon that are not from a verified purchase. This change in Amazon policy has no effect on Goodreads.

Please post to this topic, both when you receive review copies and when you post the reviews.

If you are going to be late with your review, either post to this topic as soon as possible or message the author and the moderator.

If your book has not been reviewed by the deadline for either round, contact the review group moderator. This is necessary to make certain that the review process is fair for everyone.

Note that any participant who makes no effort to fulfill his or her commitment to this group will have all reviews of his or her work resulting from this group deleted and his or her membership in the Genre Specific Review Group will be terminated.

THE AUTHORS AND BOOKS ARE:

1E.M. Swift-Hook-Trust A Few: Haruspex Trilogy: Part One Trust A Few Haruspex Trilogy Part One by E.M. Swift-Hook

2 Jeffery J. Smith-Perfect Timing Perfect Timing by Jeffery J. Smith

3 Luke E.T. Hindmarsh-Mercury's Son Mercury's Son by Luke E.T. Hindmarsh

4 Gregory Ness-Antioch Antioch (The Sword of Agrippa #1) by Gregory Ness

5 Theodore Koukouvitis-Technodiversity Technodiversity by Theodore Koukouvitis

6 Carol Holland March-The Tyro: The Dreamwalkers of Larreta, Book 1 The Tyro The Dreamwalkers of Larreta, Book 1 by Carol Holland March

THE ORDER OF REVIEW IS AS FOLLOWS:

8th June 2017 to 8th July 2017

E.M. Swift-Hook reviews Gregory Ness
Jeffery Smith reviews Theodore Koukouvitis
Luke E.T. Hindmarsh reviews Jeffery Smith
Gregory Ness reviews Carol Holland March
Theodore Koukouvitis reviews Luke E.T. Hindmarsh
Carol Holland March reviews E.M. Swift-Hook

8th July 2017 to 8th August 2017

E.M. Swift-Hook reviews Luke E.T. Hindmarsh
Jeffery Smith reviews Gregory Ness
Luke E.T. Hindmarsh reviews Carol Holland March
Gregory Ness reviews Theodore Koukouvitis
Theodore Koukouvitis reviews E.M. Swift-Hook
Carol Holland March reviews Jeffery Smith

message 2: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments Thanks for setting us up L.N!

Gregory and Luke, I have already snagged your books from the Zon so no need to worry about getting them to me, but I had to snag yours on KU Luke, hope that s OK :)

message 3: by L.N. (new)

E.M. wrote: "Thanks for setting us up L.N!

Gregory and Luke, I have already snagged your books from the Zon so no need to worry about getting them to me, but I had to snag yours on KU Luke, hope that s OK :)"

I hope I don't have to chase everyone else up lol!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 42 comments E.M. Swift-Hook: Hi, i'm reading your book this round. You can send me a copy at cmarch555@msn.com

thanks! Carol

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 42 comments Gregory,

Hi. If you send me your email, I will gift you a copy of The Tryo. You can reach me at cmarch555@msn.com

thanks, carol

message 6: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh Just a thought everyone. 'Verified Purchased' reviews only come from purchases. Not kindle unlimited and not gifting. We can all lower our kindle price to $0.99 while our reviewers purchase the book then put them back up after. That way the reviews won't get hidden over time and carry the weight they should. I'm lowering my price now. E.M. and Theodore would you mind buying it when I have? No pressure. E.M I'm sorry to ask since you've already got it on kindle unlimited. I will purchase Carol's and Jeffrey's regardless, though I'll wait to hear if they'll lower the price temporarily. I hope that this suggestion isn't a breach of the rules in anyway. As a reader, I tend to ignore reviews that aren't verified, I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

message 7: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh My price change is in review but should take effect shortly.

message 8: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments I'm happy to run with your idea Luke, I have purchased your book and lowered my price to .99 as well. I will leave it there a week and turn it into a promotion opportunity. It might be folk who are published as opposed to self-publishing can't do this, but I think it a great idea for the rest of us.

If that is not OK for you Carol and Theodore, please say and I will still provide a copy, of course.

message 9: by Jeffery (last edited Jun 07, 2017 08:39AM) (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments L.N. wrote: "In joining this review group you have agreed to review the novels assigned to you on a two month schedule. This group is now in the review phase and is no longer open for sign up.

SciFi Review Gro..."

I contacted Theodore Koukouvitis but have not heard back. Maybe we're not supposed to contact authors directly but via here. If so, TK, how'd you like to get your book to me or me to it? Thanks.

message 10: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments You should contact through PM, I believe, but it may take someone a day or so to get back to you :)

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 42 comments Luke wrote: "Just a thought everyone. 'Verified Purchased' reviews only come from purchases. Not kindle unlimited and not gifting. We can all lower our kindle price to $0.99 while our reviewers purchase the boo..."

Sorry, but my book is published by a small press, so I don't have the ability to change he prices. that's why I'm willing to gift it, if necessary.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 42 comments E.M. wrote: "I'm happy to run with your idea Luke, I have purchased your book and lowered my price to .99 as well. I will leave it there a week and turn it into a promotion opportunity. It might be folk who are..."

I just got your book, EM
Carol

message 13: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh No probs, Carol. I'll buy it as that 'verified purchase' sticker makes a real difference. :-)

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 42 comments Luke wrote: "Just a thought everyone. 'Verified Purchased' reviews only come from purchases. Not kindle unlimited and not gifting. We can all lower our kindle price to $0.99 while our reviewers purchase the boo..."

E.M. wrote: "I'm happy to run with your idea Luke, I have purchased your book and lowered my price to .99 as well. I will leave it there a week and turn it into a promotion opportunity. It might be folk who are..."

Sorry, but the Tyro is published by a small press, so I don't have the ability to lower the price.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 42 comments Luke wrote: "No probs, Carol. I'll buy it as that 'verified purchase' sticker makes a real difference. :-)"

you're a doll, thanks!

message 16: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh Carol, I've had to buy it on Amazon.co.uk. despite not being uk based .com wouldn't allow me to buy it on kindle. I will post the review on both sites though and make sure to include a header of 'verified purchase on Amazon.co.uk' if it doesn't get the tag automatically. Sorry!

message 17: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments You will only get the verified tag on the site where you make the purchase - sadly :(

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol March | 42 comments ok, thanks

message 19: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh Carol, we'll sort something out. I'll look into why I can't buy on .com as I am no longer UK based. If I can change it I will even if I have to buy another copy.

Jeffrey, can you get a copy to me for now so I can get on with reading until I can sort out buying it on .com unless you're happy with an Amazon uk review that I copy to .com with the heading 'Verified purchase on Amazon Uk'. I imagine .com is preferable and I'll do what I can.

message 20: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments E.M. wrote: "You should contact through PM, I believe, but it may take someone a day or so to get back to you :)"

Thanks, EM. I believe I wrote that was my first attempt. Still no reply.

message 21: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments Luke wrote: "Carol, we'll sort something out. I'll look into why I can't buy on .com as I am no longer UK based. If I can change it I will even if I have to buy another copy.

Jeffrey, can you get a copy to me ..."

Hi, Luke. How can I get a copy to you? Email attachment? Google Drive? What's your preference. Your wish is my command.

message 22: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 46 comments L.N. wrote: "E.M. wrote: "Thanks for setting us up L.N!

Gregory and Luke, I have already snagged your books from the Zon so no need to worry about getting them to me, but I had to snag yours on KU Luke, hope ..."

I've ordered both books I'm assigned to review. Looking forward to reading them! G Thanks EM! G

message 23: by L.N. (new)

Gregory! Sorry I'm so late in replying. Looks like I'm too late anyway...oops! But for future reference, you need to PM the authors you are assigned, and give your details and format preference =).

message 24: by L.N. (new)

Sorry! That comment was directed at Jeffery, not Gregory...oh dear Lord!

message 25: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments L.N. wrote: "Sorry! That comment was directed at Jeffery, not Gregory...oh dear Lord!"

PM how many times? When that does not work, then what?

message 26: by L.N. (new)

Then go on to the next book, and if he still hasn't contacted you in the second round then I will presume that he is no longer interested in taking part and will remove him from the round.

message 27: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments L.N. wrote: "Then go on to the next book, and if he still hasn't contacted you in the second round then I will presume that he is no longer interested in taking part and will remove him from the round."

Thanks, LN. The "next book" I presume is by Gregory Ness. I'll contact him, ask him about getting a copy to me.

message 28: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 46 comments Jeffery: email me at gregory.ness@yahoo.com and I'll email you a free copy from Kindle. Thx G

message 29: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh Jeffrey,

Sorry I've been away but never fear, I have bought a copy of your book.

Jeffrey and Carol,

I've tried to get your books through Amazon.com but there seems to be no legitimate way of doing so. The best alternative would be Amazon.de but I suspected Germany is less your goal than the UK. If I were to 'manipulate' my location to get the 'Verified Purchase' sticker on Amazon.com, the chances are that Amazon would delete my reviews. The best I can think of is to copy the link to the Amazon Uk review within the Amazon.co.uk review so that anyone who wants to check can verify that I have bought the books. I'm open to alternative suggestions...

Best,

Luke

message 30: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments Luke wrote: "Jeffrey,

Sorry I've been away but never fear, I have bought a copy of your book.

Jeffrey and Carol,

I've tried to get your books through Amazon.com but there seems to be no legitimate way of do..."

Many thanks, Luke.

message 31: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments My review for 'Antioch' - thanks for an interesting read, Jeffery. :)

Zon UK
Zon US
Goodreads

message 32: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 46 comments Thank you EM! G

message 33: by L.N. (new)

Thanks E.M, first out of the blocks. Good review from you =).

message 34: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments Oops - sorry, I meant Gregory *blushes*

message 35: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 46 comments :)

message 36: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments L.N. wrote: "In joining this review group you have agreed to review the novels assigned to you on a two month schedule. This group is now in the review phase and is no longer open for sign up.

SciFi Review Gro..."

Done. And if we're supposed to post them here, here be mine:

Antioch is a smorgasbord of technical and mystical delights. Not only does the author’s imagination entertain readers but so does his grasp of history — e.g., the birth of the alliance of Caesar and Cleopatra. And even more than the science that we learn, there is the lost knowledge of the ancient world — pre-Egyptian! — that we hope to discover. Indeed, seeking knowledge (like seeking the Holy Grail in a different era) is a central theme for the characters in both Egypt and Czechia.

In their quests, the main characters — a beautiful aid to Cleopatra parceling out higher mental states and an inventor keeping one step ahead of the future's anti-science assassins — generate gripping tension. Under the shadow of pending tragedy, the Roman Agrippa and the technologist Roy Swenson strive toward their goals — the secrets of the gods in the past, the key to infinite energy in the future. Despite the wars in the past and the assassinations in the future, our heroes experience joy and enjoy some successes.

As the story unfolds, it begins to dawn on one that the wealth of characters are in fact a smaller cast reborn, making major decisions and struggling through each lifetime. Both eras and settings draw one in, stirring our longing to experience more of the wonders and the exotic ways of other worlds. Fans of sci-fi, of historical fiction, of mysticism, and of cutting-edge science will all find more than enough novelty for them to keep turning the pages.

message 37: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 46 comments Thank you Jeffery! G

message 38: by L.N. (new)

Jeffery wrote: "L.N. wrote: "In joining this review group you have agreed to review the novels assigned to you on a two month schedule. This group is now in the review phase and is no longer open for sign up.

Sci..."

Now what you need to do, is transfer all of that onto Goodreads and Amazon, and you are home and dry.

message 39: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments Already done.

BTW, anyone know the whereabouts of this link: "
L.S.
369 books | 1411 friends
see comment history C.B. wrote: "I accidentally found it! Hidden deep within the Amazon site, a way to determine what the secret categories are that you can unlock with keywords! I just edited my keywords and will see if this gets..."

Thanks for any clues.

message 40: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 46 comments Jeffery wrote: "Already done.

BTW, anyone know the whereabouts of this link: "
L.S.
369 books | 1411 friends
see comment history C.B. wrote: "I accidentally found it! Hidden deep within the Amazon site, a way to ..."

I'll look as well. G

message 41: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh Jeffrey,

I've messaged you and need a response from you before I post my review.

Best,

Luke

message 42: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments Luke wrote: "Jeffrey,

I've messaged you and need a response from you before I post my review.

Best,

Luke"

Thanks. Traveling. Summer here. Will get to it today. Best,

message 43: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 59 comments Hi, Luke. Many thanks for the note, review, and reading my novel.

There was a time in my life when I would not have enjoyed my story so much, either. But now, after learning much more about literature, history, and anthropology, my tastes have “matured” (even if I haven’t).

Now, work like Hitchhiker’s Guide (good enough to become a movie) entertains me. So does Lorenzo’s Oil, a true story of injustice and a scientific quest. Yet it was much less popular than DaVinci Code, a false story about a superstitious quest. That shows how the popular mind works. Yes, me and readers like me constitute a minority now days.

But it hasn’t always been this way. In our past, every story ended with, “… and the moral of the story is …” Nowadays, most readers need a different part of the brain titillated, but not the intellect. Not me. I like the Startrek that showed a future without money. If a story lacks ideas, I pass. If it’s sci-fi and assumes only technology has evolved but not people — contradicting our species’ actual development — the false assumption draws me out of the story.

While the ideas in Perfect Timing are fanciful, they are also in practice somewhere on the planet. Unless a reader is well-versed in cutting-edge activism, they would not know that. Hence, the future world seems too good to true, even if its salient features exist in this present.

A book like mine needs that niche of questing minds entertained by big ideas. Further, such books need to be judged on artistic merit, rather than a reviewer’s distaste of the genre. That genre includes some of the biggest novels and movies of all time, like Utopia and Uncle Tom’s Cabin and Gandhi. If Perfect Timing does have some artistic merit, then at worse it’s a misfit, an ugly duckling, which — someday — may have a future.

All that said, bad press is better than no press (they say). So, yes, please do post your review — which shows writing talent and was much enjoyed by me (I’d even ask you to edit my work!) — wherever you can. I am grateful.

message 44: by L.N. (new)

Jeffery wrote: "Hi, Luke. Many thanks for the note, review, and reading my novel.

There was a time in my life when I would not have enjoyed my story so much, either. But now, after learning much more about litera..."

This may have been better as a PM to the reviewer, Jeffery...and don't worry about the links for your review. I know you've done it, so it doesn't matter.

message 45: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh Jeffrey,

4 star rating and review now posted on GR and Amazon.com. I've tried to solve the 'verified purchase' issue but it hasn't worked so I've now posted my review of Amazon.co.uk as well and included a link to it within the Amazon.com review for added credibility.

Best regards,

Luke

message 46: by L.N. (new)

Luke wrote: "Jeffrey,

4 star rating and review now posted on GR and Amazon.com. I've tried to solve the 'verified purchase' issue but it hasn't worked so I've now posted my review of Amazon.co.uk as well and i..."

Thank you for your review, Luke. Are you able to post links on here as well?

message 47: by Luke (new)

Luke Hindmarsh Sorry, should have done so first off. Here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...
And the Goodreads link:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 48: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 46 comments My review of The Tyro is now posted on Goodreads and Amazon:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

Well done Carol! Beautiful!

message 49: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 115 comments My Review for 'Mercury's Son'

On Goodreads
On Zon UK
On Zon US

Enjoyable reading. :)

message 50: by L.N. (new)

Thanks for your links E.M. That's you done for this round. See you in another round soon =).

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.