The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Cowboy Bebop Live Action series

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Cowboy Bebop being developed into live action TV series.

We need more space adventure on TV.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/cowboy...

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mepcotterell) | 10 comments I don't think it's a good idea.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (coffee_addict) | 64 comments I will judge them based on how they handle the fridge episode (if they do).

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mepcotterell) | 10 comments They'll need a quality doggo for Ein.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (coffee_addict) | 64 comments Though just imagine being the casting director for Ein.

Corgis. Corgis everywhere.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison Hurd | 227 comments I am excited and scared. So, I guess in this as in most things, I'd say I am anxious. This article isn't doing much to pull me one way or the other.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments This probably won't happen. But it definitely has the potential to be great fun.

message 8: by Alisha (last edited Jun 06, 2017 03:20PM) (new)

Alisha description

Probably not the first or the last to use this gif but...yeah...nope

message 9: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments My gut says nope but my brain says "but maybe"?

message 10: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1594 comments Well if it was going to be a movie, I'd say they'd just make Ein a 3D model, but for TV, they'll just get 4 or 5 that look alike but have different strengths. ;-)

Now if they can hold the series to just one season, and have a beginning middle and end, that's when I'll be impressed. Oh, and if is kept a tragedy as well. Just like the first season of 24 should have been.

They can change a lot of things, and still have a cool series, but they better pony up and get the Seatbelts to do the sound track for this.

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
No thanks. I'll just rewatch the anime for the 15th time.

message 12: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) For me it's going to depend on who they cast for Ein. I have serious opinions about actors in the corgi community. Some just phone in their performances, but I'm really hoping they'll cast some who have been doing some good work recently, like Idris Elcorgi or Corgi "The Rock" Johnson.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mepcotterell) | 10 comments Data doggos are serious business.

message 14: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments David wrote: "I'm really hoping they'll cast some who have been doing some good work recently, like Idris Elcorgi or Corgi "The Rock" Johnson."

Those guys are way too big for the role. Ein needs to be someone with gravitas, more like Morgi Freeman or Jeffrey Dean Corgin.

message 15: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Cowboy Bebop without Yoko Kanno is like someone offering you mindblowing sex and then giving you a back rub.

message 16: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1594 comments By the way wasn't Kenau supposed to play Spike in the movie adaptation.... Oh, never mind he did in John Wick. ;-)

Hmmm, I meant that as a one line joke, but the more I think about it, an argument could be made that just about every main Bebop character had an analogue in that movie, except for Edward. And Faye is a bit of a reach, but could be read in.

message 17: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Sean wrote: "Cowboy Bebop without Yoko Kanno is like someone offering you mindblowing sex and then giving you a back rub."

THIS. So you better hire her, Yost & Sunrise. Just sayin'.

message 18: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I imported OST 1&2 and I have everything else digitally. I also was lucky enough to see Yoko Kano do solo performances of Tank! and Real Folk Blues on a piano a few years ago at Otakon.

message 19: by Trike (last edited Jun 07, 2017 02:36PM) (new)

Trike | 8768 comments For anyone unfamiliar with the show, it has one of the greatest theme songs of all time, called "Tank!" And just generally one of the most awesome soundtracks ever. Completely different from what we usually hear in action sci-fi.

Cowboy Bebop opening: https://youtu.be/Aw3fN3OPk3A

Honestly, I think I will love the show as long as it has this exchange at the beginning of the first episode:

[Some exciting bit of chicanery happens]

Spike and Jet plunge into the cockpit of the Bebop, falling over each other to get to their seats.

They begin furiously flipping switches as they rush through the preflight check, with the Red Dragon Syndicate and ISSP breathing down their necks.

SPIKE
I think it's time we blow this scene.

JET
3... 2... 1...

SPIKE
Let's jam.

Theme song kicks in. A high-speed chase begins as the opening credits roll.

I envy Christopher Yost getting to write this script.

message 20: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments So, anyway, 2.5 years later Cowboy Bebop is a go... that’s stopped. John Cho was injured on the set, so he needs knee surgery and rehabilitation, resulting in a 7-to-9 month shutdown. Sounds bad.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...

message 21: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments Ouch!

message 22: by Kevruzz (new)

Kevruzz | 1 comments Eek! Get well soon brother

Next time you hear fans bitching about how superhero movies and the like seem too...I dunno, “artificial,” keep in mind that this is the kind of thing they’re trying to avoid.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments First pics (looks great) and a release date (Nov 19). Can’t wait!

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/cowb...

message 24: by Calvey (new)

Calvey | 102 comments Can't wait, as noted by when this thread started it has been a while.

message 25: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Netflix revealed the opening credits today. Looks great.

https://youtu.be/Yq2N-9EmedA

Netflix v. Original side by side.

https://youtu.be/-8m8xC8Gswo

message 26: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1594 comments Ok, I think that opening credits had the exact opposite effect it is supposed to have on me. Up to now I had been getting excited that the creators were true fans of the show, and were going to make a good show. This showed me way to many visuals straight from the cartoon. It makes me think this could be closer to watchman the movie, then watchman the tv series. The first while being very faithful to the imagery and even most of the plot of the comic series, had none of its soul. The later used some of the characters, and themes, but also had that spark as if it was from the same creative spirit that inspired the comics. I hope I’m mistaken, and this probably will get me to resign up for Netflix, but I am more cautious now.

message 27: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments The trailer: https://youtu.be/o3aEXTUj9Ek

That’s the wackiest trailer I’ve seen in a while. Hopefully it’s ONLY the trailer. If the show is that goofy it’s going to be hated. I’m a huge John Cho fan but I’m getting a serious Iron Fist vibe from those “action” scenes.

message 28: by Trike (new)

message 29: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 27, 2021 09:15AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Where is Ein the dog and Ed the girl hacker? Oh Ein sighted at 1:25.

But what about the Beta tape player?

message 30: by Mark (last edited Nov 01, 2021 01:56PM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2485 comments I've been watching the animated show this past week. It's streaming on Netflix with your choice of soundtracks, the original Japanese or English. I never saw the show when it first came to the US, but I understand why viewers are fascinated with these characters.

I went looking for the Cowboy Bebop manga only to discover that the Tokyopop books are now very expensive. Maybe they will be reprinted now that the live-action series is coming. New comics are coming from Titan Comics later this month.

message 31: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1594 comments I bought one of the Tokyopop ones when they first came out in English, and was not impressed with the story, so didn't get any more. IIRC it felt like many continuations, if felt more like less solidly written fan fiction, then something the show writers would have actually had a hand in. I may go look for it now, to see if my memory was accurate.

Update: Found it, still has the partial plastic dust cover telling you to read from right to left. Also found 2 Trigun books, and a Macross II adaptation (that was reversed when translated), that I had totally forgotten I had.

message 32: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Unfortunately, I could never get into Samurai Champloo by the same anime director.

message 33: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Tamahome wrote: "Unfortunately, I could never get into Samurai Champloo by the same anime director."

I love Samurai Champloo. Not as much, but another fun series.

message 34: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Hmm it's pretty corny but looks nice.

message 35: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 20, 2021 08:33AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Faye actress on wearing the original outfit among other things. Maybe they can do it sometime as a lark in a low action scene.
Really liked episode 4 with her and Ein. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLhF...

message 37: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2869 comments That's too bad, I've been enjoying it.

message 38: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Not surprised, nor will I miss it.

The first half was fine, but then it just kind of lost its way. No idea why they thought that bizarre ending was a good idea. It’s not even deus ex machina, it’s just… odd. (view spoiler)

And then the introduction of Ed. Ugh. I can not recall a more annoying 30 seconds of any show. It was so screechy I was immediately hoping she’d get hit by a passing garbage truck. Total misread of that character.

I like the writers, I like the actors, I like the original show, I like the music, but in this case the show was far less than the sum of its parts.

At least Lost in Space and Hawkeye are bangers, so it’s not all bad.

message 39: by Tamahome (last edited Dec 09, 2021 06:45PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments I kind of liked it by the 4th episode where Fay joins the team. I thought there was too much of Vicious in the last 2 episodes. Some of the youtube videos about it are pretty negative, except Chris Stuckmann. It was in the top 10 for a while; I'm surprised it's cancelled. I would have liked more space scenes like the anime, but I guess that's a budget problem. The location in the first episode was pretty cool. In the beginning I thought it was pretty corny but nice visuals.

message 40: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Tamahome wrote: "I kind of liked it by the 4th episode where Fay joins the team. I thought there was too much of Vicious in the last 2 episodes."

I agree. He wasn’t very interesting other than that one scene, which would’ve been cool no matter which characters were in it. (view spoiler)

For me I think it was right after the mechanic left that it started falling apart, despite the fact Faye’s “mom” was an interesting character. But she and her storyline, although germane to Faye’s backstory, felt like it was teleported in from a different draft of the show, with Spike suddenly acting like a goof the whole time.

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott (smrathburn) | 44 comments I enjoyed this series it's a shame it will be a one and done. Maybe it will gain a future elsewhere. https://gizmodo.com/netflix-bids-sayo...