Kindred Spirits discussion

General Info > Anne With an E

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith (literaryogini) | 1 comments Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else out there is watching Anne With an E and what you are thinking of it so far. It's presents a very different take on the series from that of the Kevin Sullivan movies, which could be both a plus and a negative. What do you think?

message 2: by Katie Ruth , The Lady with Megan-Follows-as-Anne-of-Green-Gables Hair (new)

Katie Ruth  (bookishilluminations) | 173 comments Mod
To be honest, I think the writer expanded on some dimensions of the story that I just don't see there. It seems a lot darker than what my reading of the book would lend itself to...I still have to finish watching but after watching the third episode I am thinking I won't like it as much as I like the Kevin Sullivan adaptation!

message 3: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 02, 2017 03:27AM) (new)

Manybooks | 123 comments I was going to watch the series on my computer (and might still consider), but honestly, I was kind of disgusted that one of episodes claimed in the description that it was going to be about Anne getting her monthly visitor (sorry, I know that even in the past, teenaged girls got their periods, but I just do not want to watch Anne Shirely getting it). And frankly, I think that Montgomery would be rather aghast at this.

message 4: by Katie Ruth , The Lady with Megan-Follows-as-Anne-of-Green-Gables Hair (new)

Katie Ruth  (bookishilluminations) | 173 comments Mod
That's kind of bizarre that they included that! I had no idea!

message 5: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Rose is on hiatus | 1 comments I've heard the producers proudly called it a "dark and gritty reboot", which disappointed me. I mean, Anne didn't win over thousands of readers for being dark and gritty.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Stokes (stephenstokesbooks) | 2 comments Honestly I love the series. I’ve watched it twice. It’s done so well and the intro is a masterpiece. I think the more explicit subject matter makes it relatable for the modern girl. I can’t recommend it enough. Give it a chance.

message 7: by Pallas Athena (new)

Pallas Athena Promachos (lady_cordelia_fitzgerald) | 2 comments I love the story. It stayed true to the book, but also showing what was not directly mentioned. I feel like they don't need to emphasize the Mr. Philips and Prissy thing though.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Stokes (stephenstokesbooks) | 2 comments Season 2 is up now. What do you think of it?

message 9: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 47 comments I refuse to acknowledge this series. Just turned 10-year-old niece thought it was "scary" and 8 1/2 year old niece liked it. Brother said it was "well done" and the book is "boring." I gave 10 year old the graphic novel adaptation of the book instead and she loved it. She consented to sit through at least some of the Kevin Sullivan adaptation with me.

message 10: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 123 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "I refuse to acknowledge this series. Just turned 10-year-old niece thought it was "scary" and 8 1/2 year old niece liked it. Brother said it was "well done" and the book is "boring." I gave 10 year..."

I would not have minded some changes, but what they are doing is unacceptable and strange, and historically weird as well from where i stand.

message 11: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 47 comments Why did the original miniseries need to be "updated"? The book is over 100 years old! Of course it's dated but it's pretty forward thinking for the day. The novel wasn't supposed to be edgy or realistic. Screenwriters should stick to what's on the page and not in their heads.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 123 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Why did the original miniseries need to be "updated"? The book is over 100 years old! Of course it's dated but it's pretty forward thinking for the day. The novel wasn't supposed to be edgy or real..."

I agree ...

message 13: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 28 comments I'm with ManyBooks and QNPoohBear on this. I didn't finish the first season, and won't watch the second. Definitely not my cup of tea (or "my" Anne).

message 14: by Paloma (new)

Paloma Anne with an E is one of my favorite shows of all time. Anne of Green Gables has always been one of my favorite books ever, and when I started watching the TV show I was a little skeptical because its not totally accurate to the book and its a lot darker, but ITS SO GOOD and I've come to love it not just as an adaptation of the book but as its own thing. So basically, ITS AMAZING AND I LOVE IT SO MUUUUUUUUUUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!