World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Announcements & Book Promotions > Uncanny Magazine: Short speculative fiction (open now - 10 June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) 750 - 6,000 words
$0.08/word
SFWA-qualified market

http://uncannymagazine.com/submissions/

Ooh, I'm going to submit the yokai horror one that I'm just finishing up. It's titled: "Black Maw" Yay!

message 2: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 29 comments Sounds like an awesome story, good luck! And thanks for the update.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Are you going to submit, Nat? ^_^

message 4: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I'm doing a short story workshop tomorrow, actually, as although my short story submissions usually get great comments, most of the rejections include the line: 'This sounds like the beginning of a novel."

message 5: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 29 comments Alex, I did under my other pen name. :) It's a story I have polished, but is currently out on beta. Wish I had just a few more days before deadline!

message 6: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 29 comments Leonie wrote: "I'm doing a short story workshop tomorrow, actually, as although my short story submissions usually get great comments, most of the rejections include the line: 'This sounds like the beginning of a..."

I had that for one short story and ... Yes, it was a story that came in the middle actually. So, I'm just going to self pub it.

message 7: by Alex (last edited Jun 08, 2017 09:54PM) (new)

Alex (asato) great, Nat!

message 8: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Nat wrote: "Leonie wrote: "I'm doing a short story workshop tomorrow, actually, as although my short story submissions usually get great comments, most of the rejections include the line: 'This sounds like the..."

Haha! Well done!

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Leonie wrote: "I'm doing a short story workshop tomorrow, actually, as although my short story submissions usually get great comments, most of the rejections include the line: 'This sounds like the beginning of a..."

my local writers group had a meeting/critique session on Tuesday. it's a real learning experience to see what other people do well and not so well. and some of the things they do are the same things that I do!

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) When I submitted on 10 June, I was #788, now I'm 681. @_@ they work really fast.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Leonie wrote: "I'm doing a short story workshop tomorrow, actually, as although my short story submissions usually get great comments, most of the rejections include the line: 'This sounds like the beginning of a..."

How'd the workshop go? What's your sage advice now?

message 12: by Leonie (last edited Jun 18, 2017 12:56AM) (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments It was absolutely excellent. I have 5 A4 pages of sage advice ;-)

Here are some quotes I took down almost verbatim. 'A short story is a commando raid or a punch in the face - it’s about making a simulacra of the world. How do you bake in more details than you actually have? Begin at the underwear. If you have sturdy undergarments, the fabric can flow over your form. There are tricks and devices to do this.
The most important line is the first line. (Cat: But the title is more important.) Use the time of a total stranger wisely. Trim the sails of your fiction. Tick all the obvious boxes.'

The presenter was Cat Sparks who is very well known for her short stories here. She talked very candidly about how difficult it was for her to transition to writing a novel, for which she already had a contract.

message 13: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments And I've just submitted a story. Which I do expect to be rejected, however....quote time again......

'Short stories are an art form of their own. Short fiction self publishing - if no-one ever says no to you, you have no incentive to get better.'

I also did a long form workshop with Jack Dann.

message 14: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Leonie wrote: "And I've just submitted a story. Which I do expect to be rejected, however....quote time again......

'Short stories are an art form of their own. Short fiction self publishing - if no-one ever say..."

That last quote was an encouragement not to self publish short stories.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Why? Because of a novel's size, it's more complex and you have more text to develop a character and that's what readers expect?

message 16: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments It's a whole different thing - pacing, structure, detail, and also readers' expectations. Possibly the reason my short stories keep getting bumped.

More workshop quotes:

'Structure: Beginning, middle, and maybe not an end… But you need to mimic the structure and make it your your own. Macro and micro going on. Thematic resonance. Value adding to your culture. You’re writing a literary piece, even though it might be action driven. '

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Leonie wrote: "It's a whole different thing - pacing, structure, detail, and also readers' expectations. Possibly the reason my short stories keep getting bumped.

More workshop quotes:

'Structure: Beginning, ..."

Thanks, Leonie! WRT titles, wouldn't the editors of the short/flash fiction ezine/magazine would change your title? I did take your note (Leonie wrote: "The most important line is the first line. (Cat: But the title is more important.) Use the time of a total stranger wisely. Trim the sails of your fiction. Tick all the obvious boxes.'") to heart and wrote a more interesting title for my 500-word piece because the title is in some way part of the story and for such a short work, why not make use of that real estate.

message 18: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Yes, it is possible they may change the title, but if you've got a good one, they probably won't and it'll help them want to read your stuff.

Use a stranger's time wisely was a super helpful comment, I think.

Good luck with the piece, Alex!