Play Book Tag discussion

The Stars Are Fire
This topic is about The Stars Are Fire
Archive: Other Books > The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve
4 stars

Grace lives in coastal Maine in 1947. She has a unsatisfactory relationship with her borderline abusive husband, but has two beautiful children whom she adores. Grace adores her free-spirited neighbor, and tolerates her mother's subtle jabs about sleeping in the bed she made by staying with her husband and being a good wife. Her life stretches endlessly in front of her.

Then, the Maine fires begin and gradually get closer and closer. Grace's husband leaves with other men to fight the fires and sets off a series of events that changes Grace's life. She learns that she is stronger than anyone thinks and she does whatever is necessary to provide for her children.

I really enjoyed this book. It was not action-packed, but was a steady story of a woman who comes into her own under difficult circumstances. The writing was very good and I liked the cast of characters but my review is tempered by how much I hated Grace's husband, He was almost too much. But ultimately, my love of historical fiction overshadowed my hatred for one character.

I would recommend this book if you are a fan of historical fiction or Anita Shreve (this was my first Shreve book), but I am not sure I would give a blanket recommendation to everyone.

message 2: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7202 comments Drat, another book added to my tbr! The Pilot's Wife was a 4 star read for me, but I've never read anything else by this author.

Susie | 4488 comments I thought you might like it more than I did. Wasn't the husband vile? I would imagine he would be even worse in audio! I just had a hard time emotionally connecting for some reason, but it was still very readable. I think I'll try another of hers at some stage.

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Sounds like one I'd like!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Susie, the husband was so bad! Zero redeeming qualities. And the way Grace was around him made me resent her a bit too...I had to keep reminding myself that it was 1947.

Susie | 4488 comments Imagine being trapped with such a person. I was a little disappointed that she didn't push him down the stairs.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Or stab him in the throat.