Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Amy Cross

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottyp81) | 84 comments Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it looked like the best match to me!

Anyway, I always see so many books by Amy Cross, all at .99 each.

Has anyone read her books before? Is there a reason they are ALL only .99, or are some of hers worth a read?

Thanks!!

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments In my opinion, Amy Cross is an incredibly talented author. Don't let the low costs of her books deceive you into thinking that they are of low/poor quality. I have read several of her stories and have yet to be disappointed. She has an amazing imagination. Yes, you may find some typos in her earlier works but they have never interfered with my enjoyment. Ms. Cross is gracious enough to offer various titles for free. On any given day, you'll find at least one free story, sometimes several:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?ke...

It's a great way to give her work a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

message 3: by David (last edited Jun 06, 2017 11:03AM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Honestly, they vary enormously in quality from very, very good to a bit meh!
It's been suggested before that some of the Amy Cross titles are ghost written, and hence the differing quality, but I don't know?

Either way, with such an incredible turnover of work - in the region of 35 full length titles since January 2016? - there is bound to be some variation in merit.

Her output certainly puts a slug such as myself to shame. ;)

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3584 comments Amy Cross is a good author as I have read a few of her books as well and I have about 10 more to read on my kindle by her. Just because her books are cheap doesn't mean the writing style is bad.

There are alot of books out there that are excellent reading and they fall under $5.00, but that doesn't mean the stories are bland or the author is bad. Thankfully the authors make the books reasonable to buy for their readers as some of us are not able to pay high price for books.

It is not the price of the book that makes the author, it is the writing style of the author and how they can capture the reader to pull them into their world.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but I have quite a few friends on here that are authors,

message 5: by Myst (new)

Myst | 401 comments I've got a bunch of Amy Cross I picked up for free. I've read about 10 of them (her original vampire series) and keep meaning to get to the rest, but other books are needed for challenges.

message 6: by David (last edited Jun 06, 2017 11:10AM) (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Scott wrote: "Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it looked like the best match to me!

Anyway, I always see so many books by Amy Cross, all at .99 each.

Has anyone read her books before? Is t..."

Just to add, Amy Cross (despite a now substantial back-catalog) is still a relatively new-on-the-scene author, and hence her pricing was/is a marketing ploy to attract readers to her brand. As Marie says, a .99 price doesn't necessarily reflect the quality on offer. And for that price, it has to be worth giving her a try, right?

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottyp81) | 84 comments Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll pick a bunch of them up for my kindle. I never assumed the quality was bad based on the price, she's just written so many books it seems.

Thanks again!

message 8: by Angel (last edited Jun 06, 2017 01:38PM) (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments Scott wrote: "Thanks for the responses everyone."

Grab the free ones from the link above, you've got nothing to lose! If you like her writing style, I highly recommend Grave Girl.

David wrote: "It's been suggested before that some of the Amy Cross titles are ghost written...."
I've never heard that before and honestly, I've never noticed any changes in the writing style within the titles I've read. Of course, I still have plenty more to read! :-)
I had the privilege of interviewing Ms. Cross for Women's Horror Month and actually asked how long it generally takes for her to complete her stories. I was astounded to learn that she tries to write about 10,000 words per day and can complete a full-length draft of a novel in just over a week.
https://yawattahosby.wordpress.com/20...
I feel like an exceedingly idle sloth in comparison! She is truly my inspiration.

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5852 comments Mod
Angel wrote: "Scott wrote: "Thanks for the responses everyone."

Grab the free ones from the link above, you've got nothing to lose! If you like her writing style, I highly recommend Grave Girl.
..."

Thanks for the suggestion--I've read a couple by her (and have several on my kindle). I do enjoy her style, but with so many out there, it's difficult to decide on which one to pick up next. I'll check out GRAVE GIRL. :)

message 10: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1617 comments Scott wrote: "Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll pick a bunch of them up for my kindle. I never assumed the quality was bad based on the price, she's just written so many books it seems."

Set up an author watch on eReaderIQ.com. You can receive emails whenever she has price reductions on her books. I currently have 51 books of hers in the Amazon Cloud, and I've gotten all of them for free.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5852 comments Mod
Of course, I can't find GRAVE GIRL on Amazon.... sigh.

message 12: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I've got one or to in my large kindle library, but I haven't read any yet.

message 13: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Angel wrote: "Scott wrote: "Thanks for the responses everyone."

..."

Thanks for linking to that interview, Angel, I'll have a read when I get home.
I've read 6/7 of Amy's books, and to be honest there was no noticeable shift in style, but I guess to the average person her output seems excessive.
Mind you, I also know of a couple other authors who can consistently hit 8000+ words a day. It's a bit depressing, right? ;)

message 14: by Angel (new)

Angel Gelique (angelgelique) | 185 comments David wrote: "Thanks for linking to that interview, Angel"

You're welcome, David.
Depressing is an understatement! I can barely manage 500-1,000 per sitting and sometimes (shamefully) far less than that. I wish I knew Ms. Cross' secret! Maybe she's just very disciplined or far more passionate about writing than I can ever hope to be.
Either way, excuse me while I search for some antidepressants! :-)

message 15: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Angel wrote: "David wrote: "Thanks for linking to that interview, Angel"

You're welcome, David.
Depressing is an understatement! I can barely manage 500-1,000 per sitting and sometimes (shamefully) far less th..."

Ha! Welcome to my world! I would guess Amy is just very disciplined - which I also try to be, though the real world keeps getting in my way! ;)