RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
Maniac Magee is a legend! Is there anything this boy cannot do?

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments I read this book as a kid and when I saw it on the list, I knew I had read it again, and it's still a good read. Everything is too easy in it--there's not much that's realistic about the book--but the characters draw you in. And the important thing in a children's book is that children like it, and I certainly did when I was one.

message 3: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments I read this book this year with our fifth graders!! It was actually really good and I was very surprised!! The kids were drawn in by the book. We conducted small reading groups for the children. The children were required to write in their journals daily about what they learned. The kids also got to watch the movie and they loved it!!

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments I read this book in 2015 with a small reading group of some of my second language learners. Many of my students came from different countries and some of them were even homeless! They really connected with the idea that Maniac Magee had to struggle with his parents dying and trying to find a new home all at the same time. As a book of consistent struggle, I really see my students in the inner city connecting to it.

I think I could see teaching this book as a character development piece. Maniac and several of the other characters change throughout the book, and I would love to see how my students see connections with that in their own life.

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments I honestly did not think I would like this book to begin with. It took me a couple of chapters to really get into it but I ended up really enjoying it. There are so many different characters in the book and I think we can all relate to some of these people in some way or another. I love Maniac Magee for who he is. He is very genuine and sees people for who they really are.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments I have heard from many students that they really like this book! I have read, ‘Star Girl,” but I knew I would like this better. I loved that Jeffrey finally got to have a childhood and a family! Of course, educators can appreciate that he also wants to learn, loves to read, and teach/mentor. I really appreciated how the characters had to overcome initial meetings and then formed friendships. Furthermore, I love the aspect of all his abilities, and the themes and writing style are great to work with in planning curriculum. I would try to bring in the Tasteykake’s Butterscotch Krimpets, knot-untying, and pizza for fun activities.

message 7: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Wow! This is a book I would definitely read for pleasure and I think that my students will have a good time reading this book. This book contains a really good engaging way of bringing in the audience and keeping you on the edge of your seat. The way it is written, fascinates me. This makes me realize that I have to "hunt" for these types of books and collect them in my classroom library. I did not want to put this book down! This book makes it easy to capture the audience. I would integrate reader's theatre with this book.

message 8: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Ariel wrote: "I read this book this year with our fifth graders!! It was actually really good and I was very surprised!! The kids were drawn in by the book. We conducted small reading groups for the children. Th..."

I will definitely use this book in my classroom.

message 9: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Stephanie wrote: "I read this book as a kid and when I saw it on the list, I knew I had read it again, and it's still a good read. Everything is too easy in it--there's not much that's realistic about the book--but ..."

This book is a really good book. It is simple to read and I love it!

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Stephanie wrote: "I read this book as a kid and when I saw it on the list, I knew I had read it again, and it's still a good read. Everything is too easy in it--there's not much that's realistic about the book--but ..."

I agree. It is quite easy to enjoy many of the characters! I was really sad when I thought he would never return to the Beale home; I thought they were great!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Katherine wrote: "I read this book in 2015 with a small reading group of some of my second language learners. Many of my students came from different countries and some of them were even homeless! They really connec..."

So many more than we think have experienced homelessness, fear, hunger, financial troubles... whatever it is or was, it affects you for a long time if not forever. This book would help anyone who has gone through or is enduring hardship/adversity.

message 12: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Stephanie wrote: "I read this book as a kid and when I saw it on the list, I knew I had read it again, and it's still a good read. Everything is too easy in it--there's not much that's realistic about the book--but ..."

Agreed - this is a very fantastical book, and i think it would be fun to do in a lit circle!

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Hilda wrote: "Wow! This is a book I would definitely read for pleasure and I think that my students will have a good time reading this book. This book contains a really good engaging way of bringing in the audie..."

Oh! Readers Theatre is such a GREAT idea with this book!! I think that would be so fun. I think the kids would have a blast with it.

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ashley wrote: "I have heard from many students that they really like this book! I have read, ‘Star Girl,” but I knew I would like this better. I loved that Jeffrey finally got to have a childhood and a family! Of..."

Star Girl is one of my favorite books on my classroom bookshelf. The extra activities would really draw the kids in, and would make for a really great novel study or read aloud.

message 15: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments the is a fun read... kids like it..I think alot of them just try to make lists of what they would do.. more of a challenge among each other... it's a funny book and a great read for kids...

message 16: by Tien (last edited Jun 17, 2017 07:46PM) (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments The most enjoyable components of this novel were the writer’s style and dynamic voice. The parents of Maniac Magee died in a crash; therefore, he had to live with his Aunt and Uncle. He did not like living with them so he ran away. It was a novel with magnificent substance involving compassion, courage, and kindness. I loved how charming this main character was because he turned his foes into friends. It is a great novel to share to young students in how to display these distinguished qualities. I loved how it was a happy ending. Overall, a great novel to use for lessons on bravery, empathy, and benevolence.