RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
Do you ever contemplate what it would be like to live forever? You certainly will after reading this book!

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments I am not a big fan of this book. I read it a couple of years ago when my son started middle school and had to read it for a summer project. If you like stories with romance, fairy tales or magical adventure then Tuck Everlasting is for you. This story is about this girl, Mae and this boy, Angus and they fall in love. The problem is that Angus is immortal and Mae ages like a normal person. I will say thought that this book is easy to read and was suspenseful. This just wasn’t a book a could really get into.

message 3: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments I actually really enjoyed this book! I remember reading this book when I was younger and was very excited when the movie came out! I think is amazing how Winnie and Jack become friends. There relationship is shown through this book. I would have the students to write what they do if they were in Winnies situtation.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments I had never read this book, but my husband has and he LOVES it. Every time I picked it up to read, he wanted to talk about what part I was on! It kind of made me sad to see how Jesse falls in love with Winnie, but she decides not to drink the water...that kind of goes against the typical "boy falls in love with girl/girl falls in love with boy/boy and girl get together".

I think it would be cool to see how students would react to this book. I could see using it to teach about fairytales and folklore. I also think it would be good to show students the magic of your imagination.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments I vaguely knew what this was going to be about—I might have seen the latest movie, I can’t remember! Anyways, I was surprised by how much I didn’t remember, and I really enjoyed the plot. I found it suspenseful and thought provoking. It did a great job of suspending my disbelief! I am currently reading something with a touch of magic in it; normally, I am more into realistic/futuristic sci-fi, so I was surprised at how much fantasy I have read in the past and have enjoyed without really realizing it was “fantasy”.

Plot seems very natural for times of reflection, prediction, and discussion. What would you do if you were Jesse? Would you tell Winnie the truth, or not? What would you do if you were Mae? Kill him, or not? Would you free Mae, or not? Would you have poured on the toad, or not? Would you drink, or not?

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments This book was interesting, but I can't say that I would read it again. I did not care for the ending either.

I think I would have students have a different ending or even write how they thought Winnie lived the rest of her life.

message 7: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 11 comments This would be a great book to do alternate storylines (fan fiction) with! there are so many points where the story could have gone completely differently had someone made a different decision. Such a good book! I love fantasy books.

message 8: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments As I started reading this book, I was thinking about how this book will engage readers that need a hook to read this book? I think that in order to get students to read this book, the teacher might have to create a hook before reading this book. I also found some vocabulary that may be hard to understand. So, in order to present this book to my class, I would create a story box with interesting items from the story and ask students to make predictions about the story's plot. This way, maybe while reading the book, students can determine if their predictions were correct.

message 9: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Stephanie wrote: "I am not a big fan of this book. I read it a couple of years ago when my son started middle school and had to read it for a summer project. If you like stories with romance, fairy tales or magical ..."

I also did not find this book as engaging, but maybe someone in my class will. I prefer funny stories or even stories that make the audience participate while reading.

message 10: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Tanner wrote: "This would be a great book to do alternate storylines (fan fiction) with! there are so many points where the story could have gone completely differently had someone made a different decision. Such..."

I agree with you. Alternate story lines or different perspectives from one of the characters is always fun to me.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Tanner wrote: "This would be a great book to do alternate storylines (fan fiction) with! there are so many points where the story could have gone completely differently had someone made a different decision. Such..."

That is a great idea! I absolutely agree that there could have been multiple different endings.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Katherine wrote: "I had never read this book, but my husband has and he LOVES it. Every time I picked it up to read, he wanted to talk about what part I was on! It kind of made me sad to see how Jesse falls in love ..."

I am so glad they didn't end up together-- that would have been gross, and it was on my mind the entire time. I am really glad that wasn't explored further, or it would have ruined the book for me. Ewww-- good thinking on Hollywood's part to make her older in the Alexis Bledel version.

message 13: by Katherine (last edited Jun 16, 2017 06:07PM) (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ashley wrote: "Katherine wrote: "I had never read this book, but my husband has and he LOVES it. Every time I picked it up to read, he wanted to talk about what part I was on! It kind of made me sad to see how Je..."

Agreed. I was thinking that too. It was so strange to me. Blech.

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Hilda wrote: "As I started reading this book, I was thinking about how this book will engage readers that need a hook to read this book? I think that in order to get students to read this book, the teacher might..."

This would definitely be a book for older kids, because i agree - the vocabulary is hard!

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Tanner wrote: "This would be a great book to do alternate storylines (fan fiction) with! there are so many points where the story could have gone completely differently had someone made a different decision. Such..."

My husband is going to be teaching 7th grade pre-AP writing teacher, and I think that this is a fantastic idea!! Having the kids write their own fan fiction is so fun and creative.

message 16: by Tien (last edited Jun 17, 2017 08:04PM) (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments This would be a great read aloud for students in 4th grade and all the way to even high school. I think it would be effective for students to keep a journal while reading this novel. They could write questions or what they’ve thought was interesting, and answer some pre-reading questions which would guide them in class discussions. I truly enjoyed this novel a lot! I loved all the descriptions, romance, and cliff hangers. The ending was a little bit more sad than I would've liked; however, it was jam packed with action, mystery, and excitement.