RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

The One and Only Ivan by K.A. Applegate

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
Based on actual events. You will see the progress we have made in the care and keeping of animals in zoos.

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments How have I never read this book?? Of course, I’ve seen it on shelves in bookstores and classrooms, but I’ve never actually picked it up and read through it. Once I started it, I couldn’t put it down! It was heartbreaking and enlightening.

I think this book shows the importance of advocating for yourself and for others. Without Stella, Ivan wouldn’t have promised to take care of Ruby. Without Ivan, Ruby wouldn’t have gotten out of the cage in the mall. Without Ruby, Ivan wouldn’t have had a picture to draw or an idea to produce. Without Julia, no one would have figured out Ivan’s drawing - Mack would have just sold them for more money.

When Ivan was taken to the zoo, I liked the way the keepers slowly introduced him to his new family - understanding and expecting that the change would require a slow process and a lot of patience. I think that my students are like that. Since I teach 6th grade, many of my students are new to the idea of academic independence. In elementary school, there are so many structures put in place - lines to go to class, timed activities, and more. When they get to middle school, there’s a lot more freedom placed on them, especially in the hallways. I think the students have to get accustomed to the differences, and sometimes, that’s a slow process that requires me to advocate for them.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments This is the first time I have ever heard of this book and I am so so so glad it was on this list. I probably would have never picked this book up to read, if not for this class. This book was cute, wise, sad and so many other wonderful things! Absolutely adorable! The friendships and inner voices of these animals were amazing. I think that some of the children would not understand but reading this as an adult they show such irony and wisdom. This is next on my kids’ summer reading list!

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments This book was very cute!! This is an awesome book for kids to read. I love how animals were treated at the zoo and it was from there perspectives. I would have my class read this book before they do to the zoo. I would have them research how animals are treated in zoos today and what can we do to make it better. I will recommend this book to children that I know!!!

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments This book brings up something I try to talk to every student about when applicable. It is very important to understand how best to exist with other animals. To explore this idea further, I have taken my homeschool student, Christopher, to the In-Sync Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary in Wylie, TX. We learned about some awful "circuses" and former pet owners; people actually bought lions as pets?!? I also have had Christopher research and then write an interview to my sister Danielle, a marine biologist who trains sea lions and dolphins for the Navy, and we skyped her for the interview. Some questions were geared towards discussing the balance needed: protective and educational versus profit and harmful. During my honeymoon, I was able to visit an elephant park and monkey forest. I would also share these experiences when discussing this book, the real events, and present society.

http://www.insyncexotics.org/

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Katherine wrote: "How have I never read this book?? Of course, I’ve seen it on shelves in bookstores and classrooms, but I’ve never actually picked it up and read through it. Once I started it, I couldn’t put it dow..."

The interdependence in the book is very inspiring! You could definitely facilitate a discussion on how without any of these events, the timeline would have been altered.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is the first time I have ever heard of this book and I am so so so glad it was on this list. I probably would have never picked this book up to read, if not for this class. This book was cute,..."

I agree that this is more of a tween-young adult book to catch everything; although, younger children could still appreciate the story. Some students might find it too hard to read, or begin to get very emotional... as I did. Sad!

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ashley wrote: "This book brings up something I try to talk to every student about when applicable. It is very important to understand how best to exist with other animals. To explore this idea further, I have tak..."

Ashley, skyping your sister for an interview must have been such a cool experience for Christopher! I think that's a great way to facilitate authentic learning in a classroom...not just reading about something, but having real conversations with the people involved every day!

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ariel wrote: "This book was very cute!! This is an awesome book for kids to read. I love how animals were treated at the zoo and it was from there perspectives. I would have my class read this book before they d..."

Ariel, this reminds me of a passage I read with my students about zoos! It was a persuasive essay and we discussed the pros and cons of zoos. I think it would also be fun to have students imagine they worked at the zoos and what they would do if they knew what their animals were thinking.

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments I loved the book! It was a sad book but I am glad Ivan and his friends found a better home. I like that it gives Ivan a voice. While we may never know what animals really think, I think it provides a great perspective for us to think about when we cage animals that are meant to be wild.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Ashley wrote: "This book brings up something I try to talk to every student about when applicable. It is very important to understand how best to exist with other animals. To explore this idea further, I have tak..."

Ashley, I really enjoy your thoughts on this book and views on this book. I also feel it is important to discuss how to best coexist with our wildlife without feeling the need to profit off of them.

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is the first time I have ever heard of this book and I am so so so glad it was on this list. I probably would have never picked this book up to read, if not for this class. This book was cute,..."

I think the back and forth dialogue between Ivan and the animals and the humans could lead to some confusion with younger readers.

message 13: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Now this book is very engaging! I will definitely order this book and have my kids read it. When I was reading it, it seemed as if I was in the gorilla's mind or that he was talking to me. These are the kind of books that I would love to read for pleasure. I will also make sure that I have this book in my classroom library.

message 14: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is the first time I have ever heard of this book and I am so so so glad it was on this list. I probably would have never picked this book up to read, if not for this class. This book was cute,..."

So am I! Yay, a book that I will not put down.

message 15: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Ariel wrote: "This book was very cute!! This is an awesome book for kids to read. I love how animals were treated at the zoo and it was from there perspectives. I would have my class read this book before they d..."

I would also love my students to read this book! I feel that looking at other perspectives really helps the mind grow and be open to think about others and diversity.

message 16: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 11 comments Again, I love the personification of animals and objects so this book was pretty neat. I had never read it before, but my dad said that he had and he liked it. I don't normally read things like this as a personal choice (much more into fantasy/teen romance) but I really liked it. I think it is important that children see and learn that some places don't treat animals the way that they should be treated. As much as we may like going to zoos and such, animal sanctuaries are out there and they are a much better alternative.

message 17: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments this book is an all time favorite of mine!!! I have used this book in 5th grade and in 8 the grade...I have even tried it in with animal habitats in science.... kids love the story and have come up with some creative representations of the novel... they almost always can't believe it's based on a true story...I think I have created future animal activists from this novel... it's a great story about friendship and being an advocate for those that cannot speak for themselves... love... love... this book

message 18: by Tien (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments I enjoyed this book! It was exquisitely written with significant substance of freedom that went beyond just a children’s book with talking animals. There was the theme of coming of age depicted in the adversities of Ivan and Ruby. The book also depicted the captivity of wild animals which tremendously touched my heart. The tone was rather depressing for a children’s book. I am highly hesitant to use this for younger children due to the sad nature.