RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
I grew up grocery shopping with my Mom at a Winn Dixie. At the very beginning of the book you will learn where the title comes from. A single father, a lonely daughter, and Winn Dixie! I hope you enjoy this heart warming story.

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments This book is precious and I absolutely loved it! Seeing how Opal learned how to make friends with many different types of people made me smile and think of my own experiences. When I graduated high school, I decided that I didn’t want to go to a school where all of my friends were going. I wanted to go to a small university, and I wanted it to be as far away as possible. So, I went seven hours away for school.

Like Opal, I remember the struggle of trying to make friends with people that were unlike me...many of the people at my university came from big cities or other countries. They helped me to get outside of my comfort zone, to realize that I could learn from the stories and opinions of others!

This book would be really good for teaching tolerance and acceptance. Over the course of the story, Opal learns how to accept others for who they are and what they have been through. She learns to listen and befriend people, regardless of what they’ve done in the past.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments This is a sweet little novel about growing up in a small town, feeling out of place and finding friendship from the most unlikely people. Not only was this book nostalgic as it goes over Opal's summer in her new neighborhood, but the bond between her and her beloved Winn-Dixie shines through on every page. This book is definitely a wonderful novel with a great moral for younger readers, but readers of any age can enjoy it.

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments I remember reading this book when I was younger and I loved it! When Opal moved with her preacher father when she was ten. I could relate to it because I moved to Texas around the same age. Then she builds this fantastic relationship with Winn-Dixie. I would do a novel study with my students. I think they will enjoy this book.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments I am so glad it ended beautifully-- I thought I was going to have to start crying. The author did a great job of putting great teachable moments about tolerance in multiple variations, while giving us a warm, fuzzy ending!

If not a class read-aloud with project of choosing, then maybe I would use to tie-in to math. It could work well with demonstrating the payment plan. I think many would enjoy since animal books are quite popular!

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments I thought this was a very sweet story with great teachable moments.
Opal made many new friends with people she didn't think she could be friends with. She even became friends with those Dewberry boys. Opal and Winn-Dixie are the reason that new friendships and bonds were formed.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Katherine wrote: "This book is precious and I absolutely loved it! Seeing how Opal learned how to make friends with many different types of people made me smile and think of my own experiences. When I graduated high..."

The relationships she forms demonstrate excellent character traits even in adversity. I especially enjoyed reading about her growing friendship with Gloria.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Ariel wrote: "I remember reading this book when I was younger and I loved it! When Opal moved with her preacher father when she was ten. I could relate to it because I moved to Texas around the same age. Then sh..."

Weird-- I was almost 9 myself. I love it here, so I consider myself a native! I do not think I really minded moving as much as we did until I was a little older. On the other hand, my sister had a very difficult time whenever we moved. That coupled with her love of animals, she slightly reminds me of Opal. I would imagine many could probably relate to moving and leaving behind people.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ashley wrote: "I am so glad it ended beautifully-- I thought I was going to have to start crying. The author did a great job of putting great teachable moments about tolerance in multiple variations, while giving..."

Cross-curricular reading, YES! That's an awesome idea. My mom is a math teacher and she is always trying to find new books to incorporate into her classroom. This also could be used as a way to "hook" our students who may be more interested in other subjects. (:

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is a sweet little novel about growing up in a small town, feeling out of place and finding friendship from the most unlikely people. Not only was this book nostalgic as it goes over Opal's sum..."

This reminded me of getting to know my grandmother's friends. I grew up in a small town, too, and finding friends my age was a little hard for me.

message 11: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 11 comments This book *kind of* makes me think of Bridge to Terabithia. I guess it's because the girl moves to a new place and has a hard time making friends because of the differences. Which is important for everyone to understand. It's not just you who has had a problem making friends. Everyone goes through it, you just have to keep trying and accept others as they are. I think this book is super cute! (I also think that the girl who played the man character on Bridge to Terabithia is also in the Winn-Dixie movie?)

message 12: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments This book grabbed my attention from the start. I love how it started with a funny situation right from the start. I will definitely buy this book as well for my classroom because I can see how it can connect to students' lives. When I was growing up, we always found strays and my parents always told me I could not keep the dogs. Also, the chapters are really fairly small and easy to read.

message 13: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Stephanie wrote: "This is a sweet little novel about growing up in a small town, feeling out of place and finding friendship from the most unlikely people. Not only was this book nostalgic as it goes over Opal's sum..."

I agree with you. I also think that the mood of the way the story was written makes the reader laugh at times. I love the funny side of this story.

message 14: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Ashley wrote: "I am so glad it ended beautifully-- I thought I was going to have to start crying. The author did a great job of putting great teachable moments about tolerance in multiple variations, while giving..."

Katherine wrote: "This book is precious and I absolutely loved it! Seeing how Opal learned how to make friends with many different types of people made me smile and think of my own experiences. When I graduated high..."

Yes, this book does a great job of teaching tolerance, but I also can see how the writer makes Opal seem respectful. I really like that she uses words like "sir" and "thank you."

message 15: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments This is the best book I have read so far, it is amazing how a dog can bring such so much joy to a lonely little girl. Throughout the book you see how smart the dog was and how it also helped Opal gain friends with everyone getting alone.

message 16: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Erica wrote: "I thought this was a very sweet story with great teachable moments.
Opal made many new friends with people she didn't think she could be friends with. She even became friends with those Dewberry b..."

Yes reading this book shows that no matter how things may be you can always become friends with anyone.

message 17: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Ariel wrote: "I remember reading this book when I was younger and I loved it! When Opal moved with her preacher father when she was ten. I could relate to it because I moved to Texas around the same age. Then sh..."

I moved to Texas in 2014 and I could say that I can relate to this book a lot. After joining the gym I gained friends with people that I never had any idea that I would become friends with.

message 18: by Katherine (last edited Jun 16, 2017 05:32PM) (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Tanner wrote: "This book *kind of* makes me think of Bridge to Terabithia. I guess it's because the girl moves to a new place and has a hard time making friends because of the differences. Which is important for ..."

Tanner, I agree! I think it also kind of reminds me of that, and it may be because I think that you're right...I do think that they are the same, or similar actresses.

message 19: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Marcus wrote: "This is the best book I have read so far, it is amazing how a dog can bring such so much joy to a lonely little girl. Throughout the book you see how smart the dog was and how it also helped Opal g..."

I love that you, who aren't the biggest fan of reading, found a book that you enjoyed! It proves that everyone is capable of finding books that interest them!!

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Hilda wrote: "This book grabbed my attention from the start. I love how it started with a funny situation right from the start. I will definitely buy this book as well for my classroom because I can see how it c..."

Hilda, this would be a great read aloud for your kiddos, especially with the short chapters like you mentioned. It would be fun to keep them engaged and excited for what new adventures she will get into!

message 21: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments I made a connection with this book because I had a dog when I was younger and he was like best friend... being the new kid in a neighborhood and in the school so he was my refugee when I got home....I think Opal shows almost if courage and determination in training Winn Dixie on and caring for the animal...I think allot of students can relate to the story... they love stories with animals... especially ones where they can make a personal and emotional connection

message 22: by Tien (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments I read this book in 6th grade and it was awesome! There are so many "teachable moments" in this novel because the author addresses a significant amount of social issues and depicts the human condition in a creative manner. The author weaves heavy themes such alcoholism and loneliness in a way young readers would be able to comprehend without coming off too intense. One of my favorite books I’ve read growing up.