RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

Bunnicula by Deborah and James Howe

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
Have you ever heard of a vampire bunny? This is the story of one. This book is extremely popular with third and fourth grade students. Makes an enjoyable read-aloud.

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments When I started the book, I didn’t realize it was being told from the perspective of the dog, and I swear I read the first page about 5 times. Once I got over that, I really enjoyed this book. The characters of the dog and cat, Harold and Chester, kind of reminded me of Garfield cartoons. Garfield is sneaky, like Chester, and Harold was like the dopey dog-minion, Otie.

From start to finish, I was gripped by the thrilling suspense of this novel! Though obviously written for kids, I was actually curious when Bunnicula was going to start coming after Harold! I think that there would be some good connections that students could make to this - having pets who fight, fighting with their own siblings, strange, “unexplainable” things happening in their houses...etc.

Bunnicula was one of those “just plain fun” books for me. I didn’t see myself using it to teach any specific thing, but I do see it sitting on my bookshelf in my classroom, waiting for some 6th grader obsessed with all things “horror” to pick it up and devour it.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments I had never heard of this book before!! My daughter thought it was hilarious, me not so much. She loved it so much she wants me to find more adventures of Harold the dog, Chester the cat, and Bunnicula the vampire rabbit. Even though I didn’t care much for it, I did enjoy seeing her enjoy the book. With that being said…. awesome children’s book!

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments Honestly when I picked up this book I immediately didn't think is was going to be interesting!!! I didn't enjoy the book but, I thought is was interesting that it was told from a dogs perspective. I think that would excite kid who would read this book. I would recommend this book to someone who loves dogs and was a younger child. An activity to do with kids is writing a short book and have them tell the story from an animals perspective.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Although I did not really care for this book, it is a funny, quick read that I think many would enjoy. I will say it definitely has its moments! I might have enjoyed it when I was younger; I really enjoyed (and still do) thrillers/horror. Maybe students would want to continue on with the rest of the series.

I like the idea of free-writing from an animal's perspective, or simply allow the book as an option to fulfill a required reading opportunity.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments This was a completely different read for me since it came from an animal's perspective. It was funny and a quick, easy read. I really think younger students would enjoy this book.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Stephanie wrote: "I had never heard of this book before!! My daughter thought it was hilarious, me not so much. She loved it so much she wants me to find more adventures of Harold the dog, Chester the cat, and Bunni..."

Your anecdote further demonstrates how important it is that the students like the literature they are reading, and that they are given chances to explore with works we do not like!

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Ariel wrote: "Honestly when I picked up this book I immediately didn't think is was going to be interesting!!! I didn't enjoy the book but, I thought is was interesting that it was told from a dogs perspective. ..."

Thinking about our animal story perspective idea (even more so now after finishing, "The One and Only Ivan"-- I really think my homeschool student would love to do this. He has done short works along this theme, but I think he could actually write a good short-story. I'm excited to try!

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ariel wrote: "Honestly when I picked up this book I immediately didn't think is was going to be interesting!!! I didn't enjoy the book but, I thought is was interesting that it was told from a dogs perspective. ..."

I think this would be an awesome book to use for teaching point of view...you could have the students rewrite one of the chapters from the other animals POV and see what kind of craziness came from that!

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Stephanie wrote: "I had never heard of this book before!! My daughter thought it was hilarious, me not so much. She loved it so much she wants me to find more adventures of Harold the dog, Chester the cat, and Bunni..."

I had a few stories I read with my students this year that were really similar to the idea that I did NOT enjoy it, but some of my students did; they were really into horror books! I will have to add this to my bookshelf for next year.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Ashley wrote: "Although I did not really care for this book, it is a funny, quick read that I think many would enjoy. I will say it definitely has its moments! I might have enjoyed it when I was younger; I really..."

I was not a big fan of the book either, but I think younger students would find it interesting. I also think they would like your idea of writing from an animals perspective. I would love to see what students could come up with.

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Stephanie wrote: "I had never heard of this book before!! My daughter thought it was hilarious, me not so much. She loved it so much she wants me to find more adventures of Harold the dog, Chester the cat, and Bunni..."

I did not care for this book much either. I do think it is good that your daughter now wants to read similar books. This is what teachers love to hear.

message 13: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Ariel wrote: "Honestly when I picked up this book I immediately didn't think is was going to be interesting!!! I didn't enjoy the book but, I thought is was interesting that it was told from a dogs perspective. ..."

I love your idea for this book! Maybe the book can be written from the rabbit's perspective!

message 14: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments The book did not really get my attention. Perhaps my students will enjoy this book. I still believe that animal books are funny in a way. Also, I do not like the way the book is written with super long paragraphs. I may have to "chunk this book" for my students, so that they can read easily. This seems to work for me.

message 15: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Katherine wrote: "When I started the book, I didn’t realize it was being told from the perspective of the dog, and I swear I read the first page about 5 times. Once I got over that, I really enjoyed this book. The c..."
I enjoyed the dog's perspective. It was humorous at times.

message 16: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 11 comments I read this book to the kids I babysit and they loved it. I really like the personification of animals. In complete honesty when I saw it on the book list I didn't make the vampire connection I didn't really know how to say the name of the book and then I found it and saw the cover then it clicked. I think this is a good book to have in your class library (for younger students)

message 17: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments This book doesn't last on the bookshelf! my students always want to check this book out especially during Halloween....it's a cute story and a quick read...I think that's why they like it... it also makes them the in other folklore about other animals... which gets them taking and comparing stories.... they use their analytical skills and higher order thinking without even realizing what they've done.... the creative extensions from this book are also interesting...I have had students redo the story with a different animal... and even changed the ending if the story... they enjoy playing with another person's writing to make it funnier or give it an interesting twist

message 18: by Tien (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments This book would be great for 2nd to 5th grade. The book was clever and so funny due to its mystery plot. I really enjoyed it. How creative that Bunnicula is a bunny slash vampire who consumes vegetable juices. Imagination and creativity would be great lessons to teach by using this book near Halloween. There are so many activities could be done by using this book. For example: learning about bunnies, vegetables, Halloween, comparing and contrasting domestic animals, pros and cons with owning a pet, and etc. The students will be able to tap into their critical thinking skills through fun activities with using this hilarious book!

message 19: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Ixtchel wrote: "This book doesn't last on the bookshelf! my students always want to check this book out especially during Halloween....it's a cute story and a quick read...I think that's why they like it... it als..."

I will keep this book on my book shelf for those students that like mystery.