RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
A nice historical fiction story.

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments This book really made me remember and connect with the time that I moved from Georgia to Texas to become a teacher. I, like Sarah, knew there were people there that needed me more than where I was. So, I picked up my life on the coast, and moved to Texas, where it’s hot, and the weather is terrible (sometimes). There were things I missed, like the salty sea air when a storm was coming in, but new things I learned to love, like the hustle and bustle of city life and the view of the city lights on the horizon at night.

I think this book is well written for students who have moved a lot. Teaching them to understand that leaving everything you know is difficult, but it can be overcome would be an important lesson for them. From the other perspective, I think that this novel could be used to teach students about empathy and trying to understand where others come from. This story is also good for teaching lessons about character, because there are some dynamic characters that go through change.

This book was a delightfully easy read, and I can’t wait to suggest it to some of my students next year.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments his is a sweet simple story that I loved to read when I was young and loved again when I read it a to my 3rd-grade class. It's really simple and with short chapters, it is easy to understand. I would read this book to my students at the end of the day for dismissal as a way to unwind from the day. After we finished the story, I had the students' design a new book cover using the characters and setting. It was a super fun little activity that the kids enjoyed.

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments The cover of the book was very interesting and I think this book would be great for 3rd- 5th graders. It was very sad when the mom died from giving birth to her younger brother. It was sad to see a shift in the environment of the home, when her mom died. Her papa wouldn't sing anymore since his wife died. But the story truly got interesting and It would make for a great discussion as a class. I would have the students write about different experiences where things have changed in their lives.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments A bit of an interesting start, but it is a cute, quick story with some wonderful teachable moments. I do not think many boys would find it as interesting as girls would, but maybe they would be intrigued by the many flora and fauna mentioned. With that respect, science could tie-in nicely, or perhaps vocabulary opportunities. Or, it could simply help with genre unit or independent reading requirements as Miller (2009) describes.

I think I would have liked this book myself; I was really into reading historical fiction from another child’s perspective: The American Doll books, and Little House on the Prairie. Had the doll store been around back in my day, my parents would have been in trouble! Reading about while playing with dolls seems amazing! Speaking of, wow just googled the American Doll brand—there are a ton of new characters!

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments I thought this was a good book and a very easy read. I liked that readers are able to get the perspective of the children and Sarah as well.

message 7: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Great read, I have never been into reading a book until I read this one, It had me guessing just as must as it had Caleb. I was looking forward to Sarah leaving and crushing the family's heart because the father wanted a wife very bad and the children wanted a mother in the house. I would love to read this book again.

message 8: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments This story is very warm. It creates emotions and different perspectives from people that live in the country, farm, or near the ocean. My favorite characters were Sarah and Caleb. I felt that Caleb really connected well with Sarah. I think that I would use this book in a fourth grade class. For one of the chapters, I would create letters from Sarah to the class and have them write back a letter to respond to what it is like to live in the city using decriptive vocabulary. It would be interesting to read what they say.

message 9: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Hilda wrote: "This story is very warm. It creates emotions and different perspectives from people that live in the country, farm, or near the ocean. My favorite characters were Sarah and Caleb. I felt that Caleb..."

I also agree that Sarah and Caleb had a great connection. I believe so that Caleb did not get to see or hear his mother's voice and he wanted a mother so bad that he did everything to keep Sarah around and not wanting to go back to the sea.

message 10: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Ariel wrote: "The cover of the book was very interesting and I think this book would be great for 3rd- 5th graders. It was very sad when the mom died from giving birth to her younger brother. It was sad to see a..."

Seeing the book cover had me thinking about a family story but I did not imagine it to be what I read. To see how a family was down when the mother died giving birth to the younger brother showed how sad the family really was especially after the singing had stopped and Caleb wanted to know the songs that were sung before their mother died.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Marcus wrote: "Great read, I have never been into reading a book until I read this one, It had me guessing just as must as it had Caleb. I was looking forward to Sarah leaving and crushing the family's heart beca..."

I found myself guessing along as well! The family's situation was quite heartbreaking, but they demonstrated perseverance!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Hilda wrote: "This story is very warm. It creates emotions and different perspectives from people that live in the country, farm, or near the ocean. My favorite characters were Sarah and Caleb. I felt that Caleb..."

I loved how proud Caleb was of the country! Since the book has so much descriptive language, it is a great idea for students to recognize and to practice implementing their own!

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Stephanie wrote: "his is a sweet simple story that I loved to read when I was young and loved again when I read it a to my 3rd-grade class. It's really simple and with short chapters, it is easy to understand. I wou..."

What a great idea about a new cover! That would be so fun for students who are more artistic than academic. I think giving students ways to show off what they know by allowing them to do what they're good at helps them to get invested.

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ashley wrote: "A bit of an interesting start, but it is a cute, quick story with some wonderful teachable moments. I do not think many boys would find it as interesting as girls would, but maybe they would be int..."

I also love Historical Fiction...the American Girl series was my favorite!!! I got to introduce one of my sixth graders to the early series of their books, and I got her hooked! She begged to go to the library every day to get new books!

message 15: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments This book is a classic, but I think students will enjoy it especially those that can relate about moving a lot, which is usually a lot of my kids, working at Title I schools I have had several families that move because of finances or family. I think however, it show resiliency and how life changes unexpectedly. It is a sad story but the beauty can be found in the new life she has and the life with her papa.

message 16: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments Ashley wrote: "A bit of an interesting start, but it is a cute, quick story with some wonderful teachable moments. I do not think many boys would find it as interesting as girls would, but maybe they would be int..."

Definitely a good source for vocabulary activities. Every time I see the title I also think about Little House on the Prairie. Also, the kids could compare the lifestyle of back then and the present and see how changed the world is with new advances and technology.

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Hilda wrote: "This story is very warm. It creates emotions and different perspectives from people that live in the country, farm, or near the ocean. My favorite characters were Sarah and Caleb. I felt that Caleb..."

I really like your idea about having students writing a response to Sarah.

message 18: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Stephanie wrote: "his is a sweet simple story that I loved to read when I was young and loved again when I read it a to my 3rd-grade class. It's really simple and with short chapters, it is easy to understand. I wou..."

I think reading to this to your students is a good idea. I have always loved to hear my teachers read! Something about that just makes the books more interesting.

message 19: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 11 comments This book was kind of slow read for me. I'm not really into historical fiction. It was also kind of sad (Like most of the books we read in these classes) It gets to your emotions. But, I think that is good for students to learn to empathize with characters and see things from others' perspectives.

message 20: by Tien (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments The author depicts family life in effortless speech, vivid descriptions, and heartwarming details. This is a fantastic read aloud for young students because of the delicacy and consequential story of family. It talks about the farmers living in the frontier of America which depicts adversities in that time period. The themes are heavy with loss and death. It was a bit slow for me, but I really enjoyed the themes and the simplicity of the book.