RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

Freckle Juice by Judy Blume

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
Why is the grass always greener on the other side?

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments This book was really funny - I don’t know how I’ve never read it before! It is so quintessential of the late elementary/middle school experience. There were so many times throughout grade school I remember thinking, “I wish I was…” or “I wish I had…”. I also got to know many people who were manipulative know-it-alls, like Sharon.

Something I thought was funny in this book was the fact that Andrew’s quest to get freckles was not based on the fact that he thought he would simply look better with them; it was a desire to trick his mom into thinking he had a clean neck, so he didn’t have to wash it. However, everything backfired on him when the freckle juice recipe made him sick. He then, still, tried to pretend that it worked in an effort to save his pride.

I think that the teacher’s role in this book, however small, is still very important. She recognized that he came to school with blue dots all over his face (well, who wouldn’t?) and she quickly pulled him to the side to remind him that he is himself without freckles, and she doesn’t want him to change.

I believe this book would be good for both teachers and students to read because it reminds us of the love and care teachers have given to us over the years. We, teachers, are capable of convincing students that they are worthy of being who they are, not who they think they should be. Each of them have ideas and opinions that are important, because if even one of them is missing, the picture is incomplete.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Before reading, I mildly remembered this as something I had picked out and read in elementary. But as I was reading I noticed that I was confusing parts with of Chocolate Fever, so it was refreshing to relearn the ending. It is a great story with wonderful character teaching moments along a great transition-novel plot. That teacher is amazing! ☺ Overall, it was an enjoyable book that might lead to reading other works by Blume.

It is great for either read-aloud or independent. Before reading, I think it would be good to talk about $.50 being roughly $2 currently; otherwise, it may not quite convey the same swindling actions.

message 4: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Great book read it to my kids and my son wanted Freckles. Growing up you always had that one kid in the class that was less fortunate and wanted something that the fortunate had. He or she wanted to fit in but all alone all they had to do was be themselves and have people to like them for who they were even the bully of class can eventually be mad at you for something.

message 5: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Ashley wrote: "Before reading, I mildly remembered this as something I had picked out and read in elementary. But as I was reading I noticed that I was confusing parts with of Chocolate Fever, so it was refreshin..."

I love how the teacher helped the situation by not laughing at him with the students but pulling him aside and giving him, her secret recipe to remove the freckles. She also reminded him that you are who you are and that you do not have to be like no one else.

message 6: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments I loved the cover of this book!!! I immediately thought this was going to be a funny book. In this book Andrew wanted to have freckles and tried to make them himself. I was laughing when he was trying so hard to give himself freckles. This can be used as a good life lesson to explain to kids to love themselves. Another fun activity would be for kids to draw themselves like Andrew from the book and write about what they do in his case.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Again, this is the first time to read this book. Very cute story. Reminds me of the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side." Andrew was envious of Nicky's freckles that he makes himself sick trying the recipe. In the end, he finds out that Nicky hates his freckles. Very good way of showing students to love and appreciate who they are and what they have.

message 8: by Tien (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments I enjoyed the creativity and humor within this book. My favorite part was the teacher and how sweet she was with Andrew. This book would be really great for students in 3rd grade or older as a nice icebreaker at the beginning of class to go into a lesson for a writing prompt - the consequences of when we get what we think we want. I think this book was extremely adorable and I would love to read it with my little cousins.

message 9: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments This book was very interesting. Since the book takes place in a classroom, I think that the students might have a great time connecting with the book. Also, in the book, Sharon seems to be the antagonist. Her secret recipe for getting freckles was pretty funny. I would use this book in second grade up to fifth grade as a read aloud or independent reading. I would probably use a saying that relates to this book as an introduction with my class and have a class discussion about what this saying means. I truly enjoyed this book and I think that my students will too!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments One of my favorite books from elementary school! This book is about a young boy named Andrew Marcus who desperately wants freckles. At school, he trades fifty cents for a secret recipe for freckle juice from his enemy Sharon. I like how this book promotes the themes of confidence and acceptance and I would use this book in the classroom for that. This would be good to use in a classroom to support students’ individuality and encourage self-confidence in who they are. I think this book is an excellent example of diversity and how it is okay to be different.

message 11: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Hilda wrote: "This book was very interesting. Since the book takes place in a classroom, I think that the students might have a great time connecting with the book. Also, in the book, Sharon seems to be the anta..."

This book is a great shows a great idea of how to be yourself and not try to be like someone else. The things that you may like about them they may not like about themselves.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Erica wrote: "Again, this is the first time to read this book. Very cute story. Reminds me of the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side." Andrew was envious of Nicky's freckles that he makes him..."

It is really cute that we saw that Nicky didn't like his freckles! It might be fun to do a role reversal game of some variation!

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Katherine wrote: "This book was really funny - I don’t know how I’ve never read it before! It is so quintessential of the late elementary/middle school experience. There were so many times throughout grade school I ..."

I agree that this is a great lesson for teachers! She was an excellent role model!

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Tien wrote: "I enjoyed the creativity and humor within this book. My favorite part was the teacher and how sweet she was with Andrew. This book would be really great for students in 3rd grade or older as a nice..."

I agree...teaching about the consequences of trying to get what we want...how interesting! I think that this is a lesson most students coming through my sixth grade class are struggling through, so it would be interesting to see their responses!

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ariel wrote: "I loved the cover of this book!!! I immediately thought this was going to be a funny book. In this book Andrew wanted to have freckles and tried to make them himself. I was laughing when he was try..."

Yes! I think having the students put themselves in his situation is a good idea! They have to get inside his mind and his point of view. Though I do feel like most of my students would say "I'd fight her for pulling one over on me like that." HAHA!

message 16: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments This was a really cute story. There is always that one person that wishes they had something another persons has, yet the person that has it, is trying to get rid of it. I think it is a good lesson in the beauty of self. Loving yourself how you are and accepting that we are all different. I have mostly had this experience with glasses these last two school years. I have students who have glasses that are embarrassed and others that wear the glasses even though they do not need them. You never really know what is going on inside their heads. However, it is also interesting to see what they will go through to look a certain way because they think it is "cool". Overall, very cute story, I could see doing a self portrait before the reading, and then after the reading do a gallery walk and share a positive about a person in your class. I think it would be cute.

message 17: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments Stephanie wrote: "One of my favorite books from elementary school! This book is about a young boy named Andrew Marcus who desperately wants freckles. At school, he trades fifty cents for a secret recipe for freckle ..."

Definitely a good book to teach self esteem and acceptance of one another. Not only that, but to also stand up for others who think they are not beautiful enough and be kind to each other regardless of our differences especially in appearance.

message 18: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments Ariel wrote: "I loved the cover of this book!!! I immediately thought this was going to be a funny book. In this book Andrew wanted to have freckles and tried to make them himself. I was laughing when he was try..."

I like the idea of having them journal what they would do. Or perhaps have them share something that they wished they had, but get them to be okay with how they look. Maybe, the students could share what they like about another person and the benefit of having that characteristic as well.

message 19: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments Ixtchel wrote: "This was a really cute story. There is always that one person that wishes they had something another persons has, yet the person that has it, is trying to get rid of it. I think it is a good lesson..."

I think loving yourself of who you are is a big topic in our current times. Often times, social media and other people in general have a big impact on our students and how they view themselves. I think the gallery walk and sharing something positive would be a good learning experience for our kids and a definite self-esteem booster.

message 20: by Tanner (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 11 comments I think this is kind of funny that he wanted freckles so bad. Now people are getting freckles tattooed on (they have temporary ones that come off with makeup remover or some people are getting them seriously tattooed on). How crazy is that? Maybe these people should read this book? Everyone has something that makes them special. Maybe you wish that you could look like her, but she probably wishes that she were as smart or as caring as you are.

message 21: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Erica wrote: "Again, this is the first time to read this book. Very cute story. Reminds me of the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side." Andrew was envious of Nicky's freckles that he makes him..."

I had a good laugh at what Andrew's face might have looked like after drinking the recipe. I think that it would be fun to act this story out and come up with lines for this story.

message 22: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Tanner wrote: "I think this is kind of funny that he wanted freckles so bad. Now people are getting freckles tattooed on (they have temporary ones that come off with makeup remover or some people are getting them..."

I agree. Some women tattoo their eyeliner and lip liner. I think that kids should just be content with who they are. This book will definitely be in my classroom library.