Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > June 5 (6): Reunited and it feels so Awkward!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1886 comments Mod
Sorry for the lateness, you guys! As I said on the other post, I'm writing right now and it's a reunited lovers novella. So of course I decided to use a reunited lovers book for my puzzler. Of course, these two are in the present day, but seeing the ex for the first time (again) is hard no matter what the era is. It's a bit short, because writing... But I still love this moment. Enjoy...
----------
“Come right this way,” Heroine heard her coworker and roommate Friend say, the clomp of her Dr. Martens echoing through the grand old passageway. “Boss is excited to meet you.”

Friend was the owner’s assistant, and Heroine lingered half a second to wave her down and offer her a donut, too.

But Friend didn’t happen to look in Heroine’s direction as she led a tall man down the corridor. Something about his gait snagged Heroine’s subconscious. So she took a second look.

And that’s when her heart took off like a manic bunny rabbit. Because she knew that man.

She knew the chiseled shape of his masculine jaw, and the length of his coal-black eyelashes.

Oh my God.

Omigod, omigod, omigod.

“How was your flight?” Friend asked him, oblivious to the fact that Heroine was spying.

“Not too bad. I got in late last night.”

The sound of his voice fluttered right inside Heroine’s chest. It was the same smoky sweet timbre that used to whisper into her ear while they made love. She hadn’t let herself remember that sound in a long time.

Now it was giving her goosebumps. The good kind.

“Welcome to Locale,” Friend said while Heroine trembled. “Are you familiar with the area?”

“Grew up about thirty miles from here,” he answered while chills broke out across her back.

Holding her breath, Heroine eased her office door further closed, until only a couple of inches remained. She could not be caught like this—freaked-out and speechless, hiding behind a door.

The movement caught Friend’s eye, though. Heroine saw her turn her head in her direction and then pick her out in the crack where the door was still open. Friend raised one eyebrow—the one with the barbell piercing in it.

All Heroine could do was close her eyes and pray that Friend wouldn’t call out a greeting.

There was a pause before Heroine heard Friend say, “Right this way, please.”

Quietly, Heroine stepped into her office and shut the door. After flipping on the light, she let her briefcase and pocketbook slide right to the floor. Only the folder that Boss had given her was still in her shaking hands. She flipped it open, her eyes searching for the new player’s name on the page.

But she didn’t even need the paperwork to confirm what her racing heart had already figured out. The newest player for the Locale Team Name was none other than Firstname “Nickname” Hero, a six-foot-two, left-handed forward. Also known as her high school boyfriend, the boy she’d loved with all her heart until the day that she’d dumped him. And now he was here?

“Thanks, universe,” she whispered into the stillness of her office.

message 2: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments Oh! I just read this one (and the whole series). Great book & a great choice Manda :)

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I have a good guess on the author, but I don't know the book. If I'm right, I've only read a couple in the series, and this is not one of them.

message 4: by Manda (new)

:)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Hmmmm I have no idea

message 6: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Good one, Manda! One of my autobuys!

message 7: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
Not one I've read but I have a guess...

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments Can't wait for the reveal!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 992 comments No idea. I guess Hockey players are hard to catch off the ice.

message 10: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
Oh wait. If it's hockey it's probably the first in the series of an author I really like

message 11: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Dls wrote: "Oh wait. If it's hockey it's probably the first in the series of an author I really like"

:)

message 12: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1137 comments OOh not sure! but I love ice hockey!!! even though we don't really have that sport here! haha

message 13: by Manda (new)

Right you are, Deb! As a few of you guessed, it's Rookie Move by Sarina Bowen, the first book in the Brooklyn Bruisers series.

If you haven't tried Bowen you're in for a treat, and if you have, you'll be happy as I was (I think) to know that Bowen is self pubbing Nate & Rebecca's story sometime this fall. So, yay!

message 14: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
Def yay about Nate and Becca. I wonder if she tried to cram it in the last book when she couldn't get s contract and then decided she had to give them their own?

message 15: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Very excited about Nate and Becca!

message 16: by Manda (new)

I don't know, Deb. But I'm glad she decided they needed their own book :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rookie Move (other topics)