Booktastic Bookaholics discussion

Providence (Providence, #1)
This topic is about Providence
Book of the Month Archives > June 2017-Providence by Jamie McGuire

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
Struggling with her father's death, Nina meets Jared Ryel, presumably by chance. However it soon becomes clear that he knows more about her than even close friends. When her father's former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father was not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. In searching for the truth behind her father's death, she stumbles upon something she never expected, and something Hell wants, that only she holds the key for. Jared risks everything to keep the women he was born to save, by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

What did you rate it? And Why?
Who did you like? And Why?
Who did you not like? And Why?
What did you like? And Why?
What did you not like? And Why?
Would you recommend this book to anyone? If yes, why? If no, why?

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
This caught my interest a while back and when I saw this month's theme I knew it would be perfect. I hope the book is good. I've heard the other books by this author are awesome.

Alyssa (lyssiepop1) | 7 comments Okay I'm approximately 70% done with this book according to my kindle and THE DRAMA!!!! IT'S SO INTENSE!!!!!

Alyssa (lyssiepop1) | 7 comments This book was absolutely AMAZING!!!! I loved how despite all the chaos, Nina and Jared still manage to love together in blissful happiness. I LOVED Claire's development as a character and I am absolutely hooked on this series now!!!! I can't wait to see what happens in the next book!

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
This book wasn't anything like I expected. Overall I thought it moved way too slowly and the paranormal aspect wasn't revealed until way too far in for my liking. The romance was over the top swoony. Nina could barely think straight when Jared was around or even when he wasn't for that matter. Nina was also one of those protagonists that rather than doing the rational thing she decides she always wants to do what she wants to do regardless of the consequences. Even when she chose not to see Jared she did it because she was trying to help him/protect him and his family and not because it was what either of them needed. She never seemed to get that his job was to protect her. She spent so much time worrying about him waiting in the car watching out for her. No wonder Claire was always annoyed and wanted to slap her. It's his job. That's what he's been doing for over a decade! Get over it!!! Anyway. I just felt like it dragged on, especially after the midway point. Sorry to go on about it. I was pretty disappointed. I hoped for better.

message 6: by Farren (new) - added it

Farren (mmmcookies) I was in the same boat as Megan, except she is a brave soul who conquered this book and I am a quitter. I made it almost a third of the way through before I couldn't stand it anymore.

When I read Fifty Shades and Hush, Hush I couldn't stop thinking about how they were extra lame versions of Twilight. This book was a mashup of the three. Nothing paranormal happened the whole time I was reading, but before I quit Jared was explaining to Nina about how his family watches over hers. She didn't ask any questions, like how, why, or what the fuck are you talking about you creepy ass stalker? which is what I would have done; she just accepted it and didn't think it was weird at all.

I listened to the audio, I'm not sure if you guys did. The narration wasn't great, but not horrible, and I had to speed it up to x1.2 because she read so slowly. Not a great strategy for a dull, boring book. If we had enough BOTM readers in this group we could have done a battle of the books this month!