SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Dvorachek | 4 comments Reading Rick Riordan’s second book in his Magnus Chase series is one of his greatest reads. He has this innate humor that resonates in his work and makes this book so enjoyable to read. Magnus Chase and The Hammer of Thor was fantastic from start to finish. I actually liked this one more than the first book, in part because we introduced to a few new characters that I think are awesome. I know a lot of the reservations around these books is whether they are too similar to the Percy Jackson books but for me, they just feel different. The characters and overall vibe of Magnus Chase is unique and inherently different from Percy. I admit it was a bit difficult for me to switch over to the Norse pantheon after spending so much time in Greek and Roman mythology (10 books is no small feat) but it is so fascinating to read about that you don’t really notice (also, there’s a handy-dandy guide at the end of the book if you do feel yourself getting lost). This book leads off from the last book and our characters are sent on a quest to retrieve Thor’s missing hammer, because Thor can’t look for it himself because he’s too busy eating and streaming the new season of Jessica Jones. Their plans obviously don’t go right and what results is a fast-paced plot, with the characters travelling all over the Nine Realms. As a consequence of this, we meet quite a few new Gods and Riordan proceeds to flip any pre-conceived notions of them in his usual hilarious manner. Whereas in the last book, we ventured into the Dwarf Realm, this time we visit the realm of both the Light Elves and the Giants and the world building was fascinating. Probably would have helped if I had been to Boston before and understood the references but nonetheless, it was super interesting.

Overall this book was incredible and pulls you in instantly with little dull moments. Unlike most second installments of any series, The Hammer of Thor was not trumped by the first book The Sword of Summer. Riordan has done another wonderful job well done with this book. I would recommend this book to anyone with a knack for mythology.

message 2: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell | 9 comments I haven't ever heard of this series! I love his other works so I'm definitely keeping my eye open for these ones.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Cornwell | 8 comments this sounds real neat. i like riordan's other books, maybe i'll check this out.

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hovater | 7 comments I enjoy how you compared this series to the Percy Jackson books. That really gave me some perspective on the plot and style of the book even though I've never even heard of the series.