What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children/YA book series about a girl who moves with her family to live with her Grandmother and Uncle and is given a diary which she names for her birthday.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments The series starts when the MC is a child with her mother and her older brother are on a boat going to live with her grandmother. I want to say the it starts to take place around the early 20th century. I remember the character goes to school and she eventually goes to high school. I recently remembered that the book begins like I've said with the Main Character her mother and her brother (I want to say his name is Herbert, Herman?) on a boat to live with her grandmother. What I remembered is it opens up with her feeding bread crumbs to the seagulls and her mother warning her that grandmother would be super unhappy about MC feeding the seagulls because grandma could have made bread pudding with those crumbs. And I'm pretty sure the birds made a mess on her hat. On her birthday her uncle gives her a blank book to use as a journal and she ends up giving it this really elaborate name. The next book takes place a year later and this time her uncle when giving her a new journal had it personalized with the name volume 2. And in a later book she's in high school and she gets cast as Lady Macbeth. I seem to remember in the book where she plays Lady Macbeth she falls in love with the student cast as Lord Macbeth. I seem to remember a scene at the end of the book where they were being separated. He might have been moving?? They would have been written before 2003. I think they might have been older then? I don't remember the publication date but the language I remember seemed dated at the time. This is a book series where the main character ages throughout the books. I want to say roughly the main character takes about a year to fill up each diary she receives. I read these books in 2002-2003 when I was 11 in 5th grade. I read them in the school library at the time. I've been on a search for this book series for a couple of years now. I seem to remember reading 4 or 5 books in this series I don't believe I was finished with the series. The book where the main character plays Lady Macbeth was within​ that 4th or 5th book.

If I remember correctly this series was told both through a narritive and her journal entries.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Rachel, you have some great details here. Someone should recognize it!

Also, you can bump your thread every month or so. That action will bring your thread to the top of the list in the Unsolved folder. More people will see it, and perhaps know your book.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments Still looking, Rachel?