Play Book Tag discussion

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
June 2017: Coming of Age > We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves / Karen Joy Fowler. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Rosemary is growing up with her brother, Lowell, and her sister, Fern, before Fern disappears when Rosemary is about 5 years old. Later, Lowell runs away and she doesn’t see him for years. When she does see him, he is on the run from the FBI. There is a lot more going on, particularly with Fern, but I don’t want to spoil it (just don’t look at the tags, though… it’s hard to avoid!)

I would have rated the first half (or 2/3) of the book “good”, at 3.5 stars, but I really liked the end, and wanted to give it 4.5. In the end, I averaged it out to 4 stars. I’d really like to say what I liked about it, but anyone who has read it and who knows me can probably guess. It might be a bit of a spoiler to say. Ugh! Hard to write a review without spoilers on this one! I listened to the audio and it was well done. I rarely lost focus.

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments I liked this one, too. Partly because my husband grew up in a family with two "Ferns". They lived with his grandmother.

Booknblues | 5320 comments I'm glad you like it. Part of it is set in a nearby town in California that I lived and worked in for many years. That part is pretty accurate.

Susie | 4488 comments Tracy, that must have been fascinating! I really enjoyed this one too. At first I thought 'don't be ridiculous' but once the idea settled I embraced it with no trouble.

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments Susie wrote: "Tracy, that must have been fascinating! I really enjoyed this one too. At first I thought 'don't be ridiculous' but once the idea settled I embraced it with no trouble."
They certainly had an influence on him!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5537 comments Well, I thought I had read this ... but no, it's still languishing on my TBR.....

Jgrace | 2711 comments I think this book was loosely based on 'Project Nim', a fairly infamous experiment of the 1970's.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/20/1384671...

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Tracy wrote: "I liked this one, too. Partly because my husband grew up in a family with two "Ferns". They lived with his grandmother."

Wow! Really?

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Jgrace wrote: "I think this book was loosely based on 'Project Nim', a fairly infamous experiment of the 1970's.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/20/1384671..."

I don't remember details, but I remember the name "Nim" from university. (view spoiler), wasn't it? (I haven't yet looked at your link,) (view spoiler)

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I liked this one, too. Partly because my husband grew up in a family with two "Ferns". They lived with his grandmother."

Wow! Really?"

Yes. His grandmother was a circus performer, who owned a skating rink. One of the guys was named Tony, and he roller skated! My husband used to play and fight with them, as a child, as if they were human kids, though much tougher and prone to bite!

message 11: by Denizen (last edited Jun 07, 2017 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Tracy wrote: "I liked this one, too. Partly because my husband grew up in a family with two "Ferns". They lived with his grandmother."

I'd love to hear him discuss it!

It was a strong 5 star book for me. I loved the characters and the narrator.