Real Christian discussion

Chat > Think On These Things

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aerykah (last edited Jun 05, 2017 07:49PM) (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Philippians 4:8

We as Christians are instructed to encourage and help our fellow Christians to grow in the Lord. What better way to do that than to encourage each other to think on the things mentioned in the verse above? Thinking on these things can help draw us closer to God so I encourage you all to share something here this week or this month that may help your fellow Christians think on good, godly, positive things and by doing so, help them grow closer to God.

You can share a verse, quote, photo, etc. You can include a comment on how that particular thing helped you or how you hope it will help others. Sometimes, what seems to be the simplest thing can be just what someone else needs to see or hear at that moment.

message 2: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments

"...Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." - I John 4:4b

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 51 comments Thanks for this thread, Aerykah.

I've noticed a lot of times when some one is talking about a favorite scripture, and they go to Isaiah, they tend to pick out 40:31. Most likely because it represents what God will do for us.
But my favorite part from Isaiah 40 comes a few verses back, in 28. It starts out by asking the reader two questions: Have you not known and have you not heard?
Then he jumps right in to telling us how God is able to renew our strength, to give us wings, for us to not grow weary and to not faint:
He always has power and strength! No matter how much He gives away to those of us in need, His supply is everlasting. He will NEVER grow weary or faint from being our constant supply.
To me, that verse is just one more reminder of how great a God we serve: that He can give away so much to us, and still have plenty to give.

message 4: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments Nathan wrote: "Thanks for this thread, Aerykah.

I've noticed a lot of times when some one is talking about a favorite scripture, and they go to Isaiah, they tend to pick out 40:31. Most likely because it repres..."

Amen to that!! Thank you for sharing, Nathan! :)

message 5: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments description

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. -- Lamentations 3:21-23

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2017 12:45PM) (new)

I just wrote this and I wanted to share it and see what you thought of it.

The Day is Coming

The day is coming when God will judge the earth and avenge the blood of the Saints
The sun will blacken, the stars will fall, leaving only the light from the blood red moon, in the vanishing sky
There will be rumblings of thunder, streaks of lightening,
The wind will not dare to blow,
The earth will quake, the mountains crumble, islands will flee in fear of God’s Holy Wrath
The great kings and generals, the rich and powerful, the free and the slave will hide in caves and among the rocks
but no corner of the earth will escape from the Mighty Hand of God
The Seals will be opened,
Heaven will be Silent……….
The Trumpets will blow,
the resounding blasts will herald the end of the kingdoms of the world, the beginning of the Kingdom of our Lord and His Christ, Jesus.
He shall Reign Forever and Ever
Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty!
Amen

Inspired by God,
from the book of Revelation and the preaching of
Pastor Justin Honaker

Thank You

Rita Mutter
June 2017

message 7: by C. (new)

C. Read (truelight) | 301 comments Rita Faye wrote: "I just wrote this and I wanted to share it and see what you thought of it.

The Day is Coming

The day is coming when God will judge the earth and avenge the blood of the Saints
The sun will blacken..."

Amen! I so looked forward to that DAY! God bless you Rita!

message 8: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments I have been really loving listening to "Even If" by MercyMe here lately. It's a great song! But like many songs, it's even better and more powerful when you know the story behind it... So I wanted to share the "behind the song" story along with the song itself.

Behind the song-- https://youtu.be/WHosmHnOrb8
"Even If" with lyrics-- https://youtu.be/B6fA35Ved-Y

message 9: by Kari (new)

Kari L. Greenaway (karilgreenaway) | 13 comments Aerykah wrote: ""Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good rep..."

What a wonderful topic! I live somewhat secluded and since I started writing poetry in 12/2015 the Lord has been moving me slowly out of my comfort zone and has given me a growing love for others. When I write (except for the occasional "one must choose between good and evil) I like to write with an eye towards hope. So looking forward to participating in the discussion ~ Kari

message 10: by Kari (new)

Kari L. Greenaway (karilgreenaway) | 13 comments Nathan wrote: "Thanks for this thread, Aerykah.

I've noticed a lot of times when some one is talking about a favorite scripture, and they go to Isaiah, they tend to pick out 40:31. Most likely because it repres..."

Nathan, I love how you pointed out those verses. I can imagine someone on a hilltop with a speaker phone shouting, "Have you not known and have you not heard?..." We can have such boldness in Christ in encouraging others. I feel when I write I am basically saying the above verse also. I want to shout from the rooftops the mercy of the Lord. Thanks for sharing your views. ~ Kari

message 11: by Kari (new)

Kari L. Greenaway (karilgreenaway) | 13 comments Aerykah wrote: "This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. -- La..."

Aerykah, I have had to learn that the Lord's mercies are new every morning the hard way. But I love and depend on this verse when my way is darkened. When I have felt so lost as I rest my head down at night, beaten and down-trodden, only to awake in the morning feeling the mercy of the Lord, and another day. Mostly it has been through a schizophrenic episode that the despair comes, but I am learning more and more to trust in the Lord and keep an eye on His promises. Thanks for pointing out this lovely truth and reminding me again of the hope that we have in Him. ~ Kari

message 12: by Aerykah (last edited Aug 25, 2017 09:03AM) (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."
Hebrews 13:8

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 8:35-39

message 13: by Kari (new)

Kari L. Greenaway (karilgreenaway) | 13 comments Aerykah wrote: ""Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."
Hebrews 13:8

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, o..."

Wow, such powerful verses! These include some of my most feared (in the past) words ("we are counted as sheep for the slaughter"..) and some of my favorite; that nothing is able to separate us from the love of Christ. (that I am finally learning). Thanks for sharing!

message 14: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments @Kari~
Thank you for your kind words, Kari! I look forward to seeing you around the group and particularly in this topic. We can never have too many people sharing about that blessed hope! :)

message 15: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments Kari wrote: "I wrote a little poem that will be in my fourth collection and when I saw the first post by Aerykah I thought I would share it here. It is simply called:

Think Upon These Things

Oh honorable, oh ..."

Thank you for sharing this, Kari! It's beautiful!!

message 16: by Kari (new)

Kari L. Greenaway (karilgreenaway) | 13 comments So true, Sharing the message of hope.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Great poem

message 18: by Kari (new)

Kari L. Greenaway (karilgreenaway) | 13 comments Rita Faye wrote: "Great poem"

Hi Rita! Thank you for your comment. I see you also write; how lovely! I would love to hear more about your writing and what inspires you to write. Sometimes with me, a line or phrase will pop into my head and if I pay heed, a poem is soon born. Or if I read a post or article and feel moved to write a poem, I will.

Have a great day!
~Kari

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kari wrote: "Rita Faye wrote: "Great poem"

Hi Rita! Thank you for your comment. I see you also write; how lovely! I would love to hear more about your writing and what inspires you to write. Sometimes with me,..."

Kari
Most of my writing is not very good, I can never remember the rules of poetry or usually what type of poetry I am trying to write. Every now and then God gives me the words and I write something that touches my soul. I have at times been reading and a word will resonate with me so I jot it down and after doing this for several days I will get an idea. My favorite poems have come to me so fast that I just wrote the words out and then spent a couple of days adjusting the poem to make it the way it demanded to be. I wrote a poem about 911 that came to me in my dreams in the nights following that disaster. I got the idea for a couple of poems that I started and put away for awhile from talking to someone on goodreads about a book she was doing and she told me I should write a poem about past experiences that came up while discussing her book.
The following poem came to me while walking on a mountain talking to God

On Top of the Mountain

As I stand on top of the mountain
the modern world fades away
I can sense God's presence in every sight and sound
The mountains reach for heaven
forever straining toward their creator
The trees stand at attention
waving their canopy of leaves
like thousands of banners saluting the returning King
The birds overhead sing and dance in perfect harmony
in praise of the Lord
Butterflies float nearby in radiant colors
transformed by His Holy Power
The sun shines down
wrapping me in the warm embrace of God
as the wind whispers Words of Love
from my Father above

©Rita Faye April 2006

message 20: by Kari (new)

Kari L. Greenaway (karilgreenaway) | 13 comments Rita Faye wrote: "Kari wrote: "Rita Faye wrote: "Great poem"

Hi Rita! Thank you for your comment. I see you also write; how lovely! I would love to hear more about your writing and what inspires you to write. Somet..."

Rita, That was just beautiful.!You gave me a new perspective, Thanks!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, I felt everything in the poem that day during my walk

message 22: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 51 comments @ Kari
Welcome to the group. Those are some wonderful poems, very inspiring, thanks for dropping them in.

@Rita
Wonderful poem

I'm not much into writing poetry anymore, but I once was

message 23: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 51 comments Here's a little something from my devotions the other day, thought others might like it as well

GOING AFTER WHAT GOD HAS FOR US

Joshua 3:3."And they commanded the people, saying, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it."

Forty years had passed since the children of Israel had left Egypt in route to the Promised Land. An entire generation had died. Moses also died, not being permitted to enter Canaan. Joshua was about to lead God's people across the Jordan River to inherit their promised possession. The congregation was to watch for the Ark of the Covenant. This would be their signal. When they saw the ark moving, they were to "remove from your place, and go after it." It was the most sacred piece of furniture in the tabernacle. They had their instructions, now they were to obey and go after it.

In so many words, the life of the Christian could be summarized in a similar way. As Israel, we are to remove from our place and go after the way God would have us go. Often we find that where God wants us to be is different from where we are, and possibly different from where we want to be. Joshua and the officers referred to it as "your place." We must not think only in terms of a physical or geographic location, but also a spiritual place. We are to be willing to leave our place and pursue God's best.

The thing that sometimes keeps us from the spiritual progress we should attain is that we are unwilling to give up our place for God's plan and place for us. Our place may not necessarily be a bad place; it may even be a respectably good place. But, if it is not where God wants us to be, we have to be willing to leave it and "go after" the ark. The Christian life is not a passive life. We are to be going after all that the Bible promises us. By faith and obedience, we are to lay aside our wills and go after what God has for us.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2017 06:55PM) (new)

Thank you Nathan. Giving up our place for God's plan is very hard to do but can be very rewarding when you do.

message 25: by C. (new)

C. Read (truelight) | 301 comments Nathan wrote: " Our place may not necessarily be a bad place; it may even be a respectably good place. But, if it is not where God wants us to be, we have to be willing to leave it and "go after" the ark. The Christian life is not a passive life. We are to be going after all that the Bible promises us. By faith and obedience, we are to lay aside our wills and go after what God has for us..."

Amen! Great devotional Nathan! God bless and keep you my dear brother!

With the love of Christ,
C. Read

message 26: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 51 comments Thanks C, continued prayers for you and yours, and all our brothers and sisters in Christ and those in service

message 27: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 51 comments Rita Faye wrote: "Thank you Nathan. Giving up our place for God's plan is very hard to do but can be very rewarding when you do."

Absolutely!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I am not sure if this is the place to share this but on this day of remembrance I wanted to share a poem I wrote after 911.

Freedom, Spirit and Innocence Remembered

Freedom and Spirit standing tall
side by side, brave and strong
when Evil came hurtling by
hitting Freedom and Spirit too
Freedom stumbled and fell
followed by Spirit sinking fast
Americans rushed to hold Freedom up
while rescuers searched where Spirit fell

The day was dark and smoke filled,
Sadness and Grief were running fast
covering the world in a mad dash
Freedom, battered and bruised,
began to stand once more
Spirit, low and scarred, survived
but Innocence, which stood nearby
was lost forever when Evil hurtled by

Innocence lost, but always remembered,
strengthens Freedom and Spirit
in the war against Evil
Sadness and Grief are with us still
but the day will come
when Freedom has won
and Spirit will soar into the sky
Until then, remember Innocence,
pray for Freedom
and lift Spirit up high

©Rita Faye
September 14, 2001

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 51 comments Masterful and touching

thanks for sharing

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you

message 31: by Aerykah (last edited Sep 29, 2017 06:11PM) (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments This amazing story makes me cry every time I hear it... What a powerful example of forgiveness!! I hope this blesses and inspires y'all as much as it does me.

Part 1-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3tk...
Part 2-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_18Sz...

The song itself-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIbCp...

message 32: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 51 comments That's awesome. I love to hear the real life stories behind the songs.

message 33: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

M.K. Aneal (mkaneal) | 6160 comments Mod
I love this thread, y'all!! Keep it coming!! <3

message 34: by Denali (new)

Denali Christianson ~Semi-Hiatus~ (denalichristianson) | 13 comments Disclaimer: I have no time. (But who does?) 😂
So in light of said disclaimer, would someone please summarize what this thread is all about so I don't have to read through however many comments are on here? Thanks! 😁
In Christ,
~Denali