Skip the plastic straw, the oceans thank you

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 1999 comments A letter from:
Nicholas Mallos
Director, Trash Free Seas
Ocean Conservancy

Marine debris is a massive problem in our ocean. So big, it can feel overwhelming (trust me, I know!). But the good news is that you and I can help stem the tide of trash entering our ocean, by making simple changes in our day-to-day lives.

One of the easiest ways to combat plastic pollution? Skip the straw.

At last year’s International Coastal Cleanup, volunteers picked up hundreds of thousands of straws and stirrers, making straws one of the top ten items found—sadly this is true year after year. Straws are eaten by sea turtles and seabirds, and have even been discovered stuck in the nares (nostrils) of turtles.

Take action to help the ocean today. Text “straw” to 91990 and pledge to Skip the Straw next time you go out to eat!

Together 25,000 people can save 5 million plastic straws from entering the ocean and filling the landfills in just one year.

Straws are one of the most easily preventable pieces of marine trash. Next time you’re at a restaurant, just ask the server to “Skip the Straw”, and encourage your friends to do the same! And if you really can’t enjoy your drink without it, try one of the many reusable or biodegradable straws out there.

It couldn’t be easier! Text “straw” to 91990 to take the pledge.

Marine debris may be an overwhelming problem, but together we can make a BIG difference.

Pledge to Skip the Straw today and text “straw” to 91990! The ocean, and the animals who rely on it, will thank you.

https://oceanconservancy.org/

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1577 comments Mod
I will skip the straw. I kind of do it anyway, but it's a great idea.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Lawrence | 15 comments Agreed!
And don't forget about the new CORA Ball that will be available in July and will help remove microfibers from laundry, which are a serious problem like microbeads. See: Cora Ball - Microfiber Catching Laundry Ball by Rozalia Project ...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1577 comments Mod
The link does not work for me.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Lawrence | 15 comments Sorry Jimmy - please try this one. http://coraball.com

The link I sent before was to the Kickstarter fundraiser to raise $10,000 to get the CORA ball into production. The result: over $350,000 raised by over 8500 contributors!

Also - I just Googled CORA ball and found Amazon had co-opted my search with a link to products that are not the CORA ball, and don't seem designed primarily to take microfibers out of laundry, so be careful.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan Greene (jankg) | 187 comments Hi Barbara,
What a great result from the Kickstarter Campaign. I don't know if you are directly involved in Coraball, but if you are - Congrats!
I put my name on their pre-order list.
Jan

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Lawrence | 15 comments No - I'm not connected to Rosalie Project, but I have contacted their director, and hope to meet her this summer when they are doing research in the Gulf of Maine. One of my nieces told me about the Kickstarter fundraising effort, and I was astounded by its success.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Greene (jankg) | 187 comments Barbara, thanks for the reply. That response to the Kickstarter makes me hopeful. I am curious about what the coraball is actually made of and how one disposes of them after they no longer work.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Lawrence | 15 comments Spellcheck morphed Rozalia to Rosalie - sorry. I know the CORA balls are made of recycled plastic, and I'm sure they can be recycled, but don't know anything else. Good question.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Burt | 426 comments Mod
By the way, came across this and felt obliged to share it, especially on this thread - a clever PSA video from Plastic Change International:

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Lawrence | 15 comments I like it!