Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > The Worst Agatha Christie Book in your opinion

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think is the worst Agatha Christie out of the ones you have read?
My worst Poirot:Hickory,Dickory,Dock
Worst Marple:A Caribbean Mystery
Standalone:Destination Unknown
I haven't read a Tommy and Tuppence yet.
Worst Overall:Destination Unknown

message 2: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 38 comments Hmm can't quite recall off the top of my head but I remember being distinctly disappointed by The Big Four (Poirot).

Miss Marple stories are usually a hit-and-miss for me, there were some bland ones but I don't remember which.

Tommy and Tuppence were so-so, neither particularly good nor bad in my opinion.

Also Passenger to Frankfurt (standalone) isn't like the typical Christie; I quite liked the beginning but it tapers off considerably towards the end.

message 3: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Carstairs (daechwita) | 270 comments The Big Four for me.

message 4: by Eszter (new)

Eszter (ekovacsek) | 43 comments I'm also voting for The Big Four, no wonder they completely rewrote it for the Poirot TV series. I also disliked the Curtain.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2760 comments I couldn't get into the Tommy and Tuppence series. Miss Marple can also be hit or miss, for me, as well.

message 6: by Aušrinė (new)

Aušrinė (ausrejurke) | 148 comments I have just checked my ratings for Agatha Christie's books I've read and the lowest was 3 stars given only once - for Endless Night. I guess, I had too big expectations for this book and it did not meet it. It was too long until it actually became a mystery I was waiting for.
I haven't read The Big Four, Curtain or any of Tommy and Tuppence, but I have them in my shelf just waiting to be picked up. It looks like these are not going to suffer from big expectations :D
I have read Destination Unknown, but even though I rated it 5 stars I can't remember anything. While A Caribbean Mystery as any other Miss Marple novel is a little bland.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 447 comments I have not read The Big Four, but I haven't heard many good things about it. I already have the book though, so will read it eventually. I think the one that disappointed me the most though was Tommy & Tuppence's last book Postern of Fate. It's the only Christie book I have given only 2 stars to. I love the Tommy & Tuppence books, they're always a lot of fun, and the banter between the two makes the books so much better. This last one though, didn't really have much of a mystery to it. I think I read in the discussion thread that it was the last book Christie wrote though, so that could have something to do with it.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Smuz | 22 comments For me, my least favorite is also The Big Four. I feel Agatha just didn't shine when she tried to write espionage.

message 9: by Nix (new)

Nix | 16 comments Kathy wrote: "For me, my least favorite is also The Big Four. I feel Agatha just didn't shine when she tried to write espionage."

I feel the same way, Kathy. I love her books, but her forays into espionage tend be unintentionally ridiculous.

message 10: by Nix (new)

Nix | 16 comments Looks like The Big Four is a 'promising' candidate for her worst book in this group. I haven't read that one yet, but I'm certainly curious now.

For me, let's see. The ones I've given 1 star ratings to recently are Hickory Dickory Dock and Five Little Pigs. It's been ages since I've read them, but I remember hating The Secret Adversary and N or M? as well.

message 11: by Hasselhh (new)

Hasselhh | 17 comments for me Endless Night was the hardest to get through, and once I was done, I felt like the only way to really get it would be to read it over again, knowing the end, but I've never felt like it.

another let down for me was The A.B.C. Murders. All I remember about it was that the killing seemed random even after the plot was discovered.

message 12: by Mitali (new)

Mitali | 52 comments Postern of Fate is by far my least favourite. IMO, it seemed that Dame Agatha had really gone senile while writing that book - it made so little sense. Passenger to Frankfurt, The Big Four and By the Pricking of My Thumbs were pretty bad too.

message 13: by Helle (new)

Helle (helleb) | 21 comments Haha, there's no accounting for taste: I rather enjoyed The Big Four. So far worst on my list, and the only one scoring less than three stars, is Death Comes as the End.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Smuz | 22 comments Helle wrote: "Haha, there's no accounting for taste: I rather enjoyed The Big Four. So far worst on my list, and the only one scoring less than three stars, is Death Comes as the End."

I rather liked Death Comes as the End when I first read it because the setting of ancient Egypt was a nice change. But on reading it again in later years, I found it unsatisfactory -- I realized that nearly everyone got killed off, and so you didn't really need any deduction to figure out the murderer, because hardly anyone was left standing!

message 15: by Muskaan (new)

Muskaan Gambhir | 12 comments The worst was Postern of Fate, I really like those mysterious where I can ponder over The plot and try to solve them but I couldn't do it with this one, it was a historic mystery and was very dull.

The big four seems to be very disappointing, surely not gonna read it any time soon.

message 16: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments This is definitely my least favorite topic of them all. It's odd thT if you ask "What is your most favorite?" and someone says a title you don't like, you can shrug and say, "Tastes vary!" But this approach feels more negative to me.

So, with a deep breath, I say that The Big Four is great fun: more a series of short stories connected by a ridiculous thriller plot, but it makes me smile. (The TV adaptation was god awful!) After that, Christie wrote The Mystery of the Blue Train, which has a great heroine and a boring plot.

Postern of Fate was written by a woman in the throes of dementia. That might explain Passenger to Frankfurt as well. In a career as long as Christie's, it makes sense that she might have gone on writing for too long. But I love Death Comes as the End and A Caribbean Mystery, so go figure.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Smuz | 22 comments Brad wrote: "This is definitely my least favorite topic of them all. It's odd thT if you ask "What is your most favorite?" and someone says a title you don't like, you can shrug and say, "Tastes vary!" But this..."

I liked Caribbean Mystery as well! As you say, we all have different tastes. Some people adore Tommy & Tuppence, I find them rather bland. Poirot rules!! :)

message 18: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 2201 comments I also didn't much like The Big Four, but the first one I thought of was Third Girl. I thought the dialogue was pretty bad. This is a Poirot mystery.

message 19: by Jean (new)

Jean Black Coffee and Passenger to Frankfurt.

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 129 comments Worst poirot elephants do remember
worst Marple Nemesis
worst tommy and Tuppence postern of Fate
worst standalone Murder is easy
worst overall Postern of fate

LovesMysteries  | 52 comments Louise wrote: "Worst poirot elephants do remember
worst Marple Nemesis
worst overall Postern of fate"

Nemesis is one of my favorite Miss Marple mysteries and is one of Christie's later books that are often not as talked about as much as say, The Pale Horse or Endless Night. As for the mystery itself, it is superb and I love some of the characters as the Bradbury-Scott sisters but the narrative itself rambles on and on at times and isn't tightly written as Christie's earlier work. If this book was written earlier in her career, it probably would have been one of her most talked about ones, but I think due to the writing and the plot hole, it isn't seen as one of her best ones. But I think Elephants Can Remember has more inconsistencies then Nemesis but either way, Agatha Christie's power at creating an intriguing plot didn't go completely away, though at times it faltered here and there.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you on Nemesis LovesMysteries

message 23: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 129 comments LovesMysteries wrote: "Louise wrote: "Worst poirot elephants do remember
worst Marple Nemesis

Nemesis is one of my ..."

i found it too slow and rambling, it was a struggle to get through. Also wasn't entirely impressed with the solution, it was something she'd done before, and i didn't find it very probable on the earlier occasion either.

message 24: by Carlo (new)

Carlo | 10 comments Of those which I've read I'd have to concur with The Big Four. Seemed like an experiment that went wrong. Didn't feel like Christie at all.

message 25: by Navya (new)

Navya | 4 comments Nemesis was the worst Agatha Christie I read. I couldn't even go beyond the first few pages.Felt very boring. The character introductions were the only thing I read in it and that in itself was chaotic.

message 26: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 548 comments The Sittaford Mystery hands down. I sussed out the solution in the first few pages, the rest was a tedious bore to get through. In addition, it is one of those rare Christie efforts with utterly bland characters. The mystery itself is wholly uninteresting.
Another book I didn't enjoy at all was At Bertram's Hotel though surprisingly I love the ITV adaptation.

message 27: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4562 comments Mod
Jeanine wrote: "The Big Four for me."

Another one for The Big Four.

message 28: by Αγγελίνα (new)

Αγγελίνα Εγγλέζου | 2 comments Curtain. For the obvious reason. Ain 't no doubt about it.

message 29: by Dave (new)

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 1 comments Elephants can remember. The mystery is weak, people's ages just don't add up and everything is a bit fuzzy.

message 30: by Bernard (last edited Jul 19, 2021 02:25PM) (new)

Bernard Kelly | 1 comments Louise wrote: "Worst poirot elephants do remember
worst Marple Nemesis

Agree on most of these: Elephants do Remember, Postern of Fate, and Passenger to Frankfurt were all awful in the same way -- characters talking round and round in circles about indefinite threats. It really felt like paranoia and dementia had set in.

Nemesis may have had some of the same issues, but really I was taken aback by the slut-shaming by several of the older generation, as well as what I thought of as plot holes. The Joan Hickson TV adaptation, however, I loved.

The Big Four was just a bad idea. It might have been OK as a standalone book, but made no sense as an Hercule Poirot mystery.

message 31: by Klowey (new)

Klowey | 83 comments Louise wrote: "Worst poirot elephants do remember
worst Marple Nemesis

Pretty much agree. And I thought I might be the only person who didn't like Nemesis.

These are my bottom of the barrel:
The Big Four
The Seven Dials Mystery
Elephants Can Remember
Third Girl
Nemesis

message 32: by Carla (new)

Carla (pikinina) | 65 comments I can't say that I have one. I have liked all the books I read, but sometimes there are one that I think it's just... normal. Unfortunately I can't remember the name.