World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Trump Promised to Give Russian "Spy Compounds" Back

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) In the latest in this ongoing debacle, we have learned that Trump promised to hand two compounds that had been seized by the Obama administration - also in retaliation for the DNC hack - back to the Russians. These compounds have been used by the Russian to spy on the US since the time of the Reagan administration. And Trump appeared to have been promised nothing in return for them.

It has been asked before what Putin would have wanted from Trump's team to justify the accusations of "collusion". Aside from the promise of lifting the sanctions imposed by the Obama administration, this would seem like one of those things.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

message 2: by Nik (last edited Jun 06, 2017 11:23AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13770 comments I think it was a rather weak, maybe Obama-style reprisal, if he believed Russian interference was grave and not a very successful one in a country promoting sanctity of property rights. Not a seizure of US embassy in Iran of course, but not a wise move either in my opinion... Gave Trump an excellent opportunity to praise Putin for restraint at the time

message 3: by Matthew (last edited Jun 06, 2017 11:59AM) (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "I think it was a rather weak, maybe Obama-style reprisal, if he believed Russian interference was grave and not a very successful one in a country promoting sanctity of property rights. Not a seizu..."

Seizing spy compounds that had been used during four previous administrations was weak, as far as your concerned? Seems to me the weak thing was promising to return them for nothing and praising Putin. You're also forgetting the additional sanctions Obama imposed as a result. The only reason Putin was restrained in his actions was because Flynn promised to lift these. Trump praising Putin for restraint was therefore a bald-faced lie that concealed active collusion.

And before you repeat yourself yet again and try to claim this was normal diplomacy, promising a foreign (and hostile) government anything when you're not the president is ILLEGAL and technically treason. And as usual, Trump undermined his own people (who denied Flynn was ordered to do this by Trump) by claiming that if Flynn wasn't going to do it, he would have ordered him to.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wor...

Nice attempt at spinning this and blaming Obama, but again, you don't seem to know the basic facts here. Again, it seems like your just trying to excuse an act of treason because of a personal bias you have for Putin and/or Trump.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13770 comments Matthew wrote: "Nice attempt at spinning this and blaming Obama, but again, you don't seem to know the basic facts here. Again, it seems like your just trying to excuse an act of treason because of a personal bias you have for Putin and/or Trump. ...."

I like neither and frequently criticize both especially the former. At that I'm willing to give credit each, where they deserve it, sometimes I understand (not necessarily agree with) the logic behind their act and generally believe in a possibility of warm relations between Russia and US.
Chronologically, DNC hack was known well before the expiry of Obama's term. If he believed, like you do, that Putin was behind it, but was confident that Hillary would win with one arm tied behind her back anyway, that's kinda reckless and not very smart, and then was at loss what to do when she came out defeated.. Add to this apparent records of Kisliak and other officials having contacts with a presidential candidate's crew, that Obama could've been briefed on. What did the then acting, plenipotentiary, almighty President of the USA do about all that? Right, he sent away 35 diplomats and seized two buildings. Convincing and frightening.

If he was informed and believed that there wasn't anything major, then his act was perfectly adequate, in my opinion...

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13770 comments ... And btw, I like Obama! Not very impressed with his imprint as a president though...

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9748 comments I am unsure about the law here, but I thought property owned by an embassy was actually foreign territory. I am unaware whether the property has to be limited to one compound, but I believe not, since I know in Wellington here the German ambassador lives quite separately from the German embassy, and both would be considered diplomatically protected. I guess to get to the bottom of this, we have to start digging really deeply into relevant law and treaties.