Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > Illuminae / Overall Discussion **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) | 191 comments Man, I'm liking this book! I have to agree with what the character who presents all these logs says near the beginning of the book. It's odd to have the curse words redacted, especially considering how horrific some of the parts of the story are. At first I thought maybe the authors were removing the bad words to be able to capture a younger audience. But it didn't take too long to figure out that wasn't the case. Last month I listened to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, and I couldn't play it in the car because of the language and little kids in said car (even though the language totally worked in that book). But the story itself probably wouldn't have phased them at all. So after hearing that the curse words were edited out in the reports which made up this book, I thought maybe I could play this in the car with the kids. NOT A CHANCE! But not because it's a bad book. On the contrary, the book is so well written/read/acted that it makes the terrible things that happen too real. Especially in hangar bay 4. That was just so... heart wrenching and... horrific and... Ugh, I can't even describe it well. It makes me feel things! Even on the IMs - hearing the pain in the voices! Well... the audiobook is just amazing.

The IM speak is kind of grating at times, but not nearly as bad as I feared. It's not even the IM speak itself. It sounds like a bunch of Gen X/Y/Millennial, etc. chatting. 500 years from now. Just like now. But I guess it's better than trying to make up slang. It always comes off sounding so cheesy. I just need to think of it like the book is translating slang-of-the-future into slang-of-today. It is sci-fi after all :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments Yay! I'm so glad you liking it. I loved it so much. I wish I had time for a re-read of the book but I can't at this time.

Enjoy =)

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) I love this book so much. I listened to audiobook and after reading Gemina I may have to go back to see the actual physical book.

Also, I cried at the hangar bay 4 part. It made for a great conversation as I was walking in the office. One of the weird IM things was the "ping". That got annoying, but still, the VA were able to convey the characters personality through it.

There is so much about this book/series that I love. Kady is amazing. OK, I'm done fangirling for a little while. ^_^

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments How is it on audio, Carolyn? I started Audible not long ago and I'm making a list and collecting books I love with great narrators. That way when I re-read them can do a listen instead =)

message 5: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 05, 2017 11:55AM) (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) I loved the audio. It has a full cast, like 20 VAs or something like that. It has sound too. It was very easy to feel in the action. It made me think of old radio shows. It also help to know who was in the conversation.

I do have to say the word "chum" was a bit weird.

Also, I got it on an Audible sale, so that was even better.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments OMG! That sounds so awesome! I wish I could have gotten it on a sale. I never even get emails from them about sales and all of my preferences are set to email me everything. I probably wasn't a member for this one though. I'm putting it on my list to get!

Thank you so much =)

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I really liked this first time round, and I'm enjoying it again on my re-read.

However, I am getting a little annoyed with the 'obvious' teenager-ness of our protags... if that makes sense :P I'd love it if they were a little less star-crossed (literally) lovers.

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) Rinn, I mostly read YA, so the teen stuff wasn't so distracting. :D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments Me too, Carolyn. Although, it most any genre I read there is someone I want to smack. Lol

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) Very true! :)

I have been loving this series so much. So I just finished Gemina yesterday because I couldn't wait. Now I have to wait 10 months for the next one.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments I loved Gemina so much too! I can't wait to see what the next one is going to look like and be about! I love them so much =)

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Rinn, I mostly read YA, so the teen stuff wasn't so distracting. :D"

I read quite a lot of YA too! Although the romance is always my least favourite part ;)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments Shame on you, Rinn :-D

message 14: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 115 comments I'm half way through the book (reading and listening) and i have to say I LOVE IT so far, the audiobook is so well acted and the writting is amazing.

message 15: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1679 comments Enjoying the audio now and watching out for the hangar 4 scene mentioned...

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments Gah! I want the audio =)

message 17: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) | 191 comments Got a hardcopy of the book now. Wow, this is well done, too. Especially once Aidan comes back online. It's just neat to see a book with such production value - more than just putting words on a page.
But it doesn't rely on gimmicks. The story is great, too. I'm a little over halfway. It's like someone thought, let's take some Battlestar Galactica, add in some 28 days later, then put it in the blender with HAL. It's a race to see who kills them all first.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments I put the audio on hold on Overdrive for my re-read =). I love my physical copies but I want to collect the audio's on these from all the praise! I'm so excited. I will get it on audible later

message 19: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1679 comments Mine is due on Overdrive in a week, so i better gwt to listening. :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments You better =)

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) I haven't done audio books on Overdrive, very intriguing. I need to look into this.

message 22: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Jun 06, 2017 07:43AM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments It's awesome =)

message 23: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

How is the audio for this one done? I'm curious...

message 24: by N.E.C.C. (last edited Jun 06, 2017 11:51AM) (new)

N.E.C.C. | 115 comments Rinn wrote: "How is the audio for this one done? I'm curious..."

Really good!! you have a diferent narrator for almost every character (i don't know if there's someone doing more than one character, i guess no)

message 25: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) | 191 comments OK. Done. Good book. But I'm still confused about some parts. Aidan was convinced that he was protecting everyone by wiping out the Copernicus because of Phobos Beta. But he hadn't convinced Torrence? Is that why he wouldn't let Ezra's squad talk to a person for a kill confirmation? So if Torrence didn't authorize the kill, and Aidan thought he wouldn't, then why did Torrence execute the Cyclone squad commanders? Seems like Torrence was half insane along with the AI. I mean, he shut it down, so he recognized the danger, but he still executed people for not obeying crazy orders. It doesn't make sense in my meat brain!

message 26: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) I think Aiden is awesome. Crazy but awesome. It felt he didn't need to explain itself to Torrence. And I agree Torrence was a bit off.

I really enjoyed Aiden developing a sense of emotions.

message 27: by Dawn (last edited Jun 07, 2017 11:47AM) (new)

Dawn | 1122 comments I loved the Aiden character. When first introduced in the story he is so creepy. The typical softly spoken, psychopath persona that sends chills down your back. But then the story incudes transcripts from Aiden's logs and you discover he's been badly damaged in the previous battle and is still trying to protect his 'fleet' in his own twisted way. There seems to be a disconnect between the AI and the crew (he calls them meat!) that contributes to Aiden's decisions until the constant interaction with Kady seems to change his perspective of people. So this also seems to be a story about an AI becoming sentient.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments Now I can't remember who said they got this on sale on Audible. Can anyone tell me where you find any sales they are running. They just started sending me emails about a daily deal. I'm new on there and I definitely want this title =). Thank you!

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) I got it on a sale, but it was a couple of months ago. They had book 1 sale on series.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments How do you find the sales?

message 31: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) I think it was emailed to me or through Goodreads. :)

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1122 comments Go to the Audible website and sign up to their Daily Deals email or just view the current deal direct on the website. They have a different audio book on offer every day. I've gotten loads of good books including Illuminae.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments I get that one. I just saw some YouTube people talking about Audible from time to time talking about Audible having a huge sale and they bought a bunch of books. Is that only a few times a year?

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1122 comments Audible has sales constantly but I'm a member so I get more sale and offers than non-members. They also give huge discounts on audio books if you already own the kindle book.

message 35: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1122 comments I got Illuminae when it was first published as an Audible Daily Deal. They often put new books on offer to promote sales and get reviews. You just need to keep watching the emails for good books.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 227 comments I'm a new member and just waiting on some good sales =) Haven't been interested in the daily deal yet. Fingers crossed =)

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1174 comments The thing about AIDAN is the really creepy effect produced by giving its actions, and then giving the motives that make you wonder whether it wasn't just trying to do its best in a situation with real few options.

message 38: by Sean (new)

Sean (redbeard007) | 95 comments Halfway through myself. Ignoring the rest of the comments for now so I don't see a spoiler. So far I'm finding it good, but not great. I'm thinking a 3 maybe 4 star rating at this point. See how the second half goes.

message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 40 comments I was impressed with Aidan. You'll never believe this, but about 2/3 through, I was saying to myself "What I really don't like is Ezra. At first he is caring but a little rude, then all of a sudden he is super-sweet. I know the author wants me to think he changed, but I don't buy it - nothing I can really point to - it just feels like there are 2 Ezras. This is gonna be 2 Stars at best, I can already tell." THEN... I find out that there are 2 Ezras - really did not see that coming! His characters make complete sense, and actually really does a great job of simulating Aidan trying to be Ezra - a little different, but I can believe that Kady did not pick up on it. I still was not crazy thrilled with the pacing, but Aidan was superbly done. And, I guess I gotta give it an extra star for getting me that good.

message 40: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) Aiden is my favorite character. Last night I went to see Alien Covenant and the first scene with David, I felt I was listening to Aiden.

The pacing was interesting, it kept me wanting to know more.

message 41: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 112 comments I'm surprised to see so many people doing the audiobook. I haven't started it yet, but just a quick glance shows that it has a lot of creative visual effects. It must be a very different experience to listen to it rather than read it.

message 42: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 40 comments I listened to it too. I do all my books from Audible - with my kids, job, etc, I never have time to just read. But, what I do have is a 45 min commute and an iPod. They did a great job with the audio, so it worked - I have listened to a couple other books with similar format that did not transition to audio well.

message 43: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 90 comments This was a horror/zomby book. Alot of clishe, like the crazy AI and Romeo and Juliate loving till the end, and killer zombies. I didnt understand how Aiden thought that releasing the zombies will end well for him or the fleet. That was highly untational.
How is the next book?

message 44: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) The next book is at Heimdall and what is happening there while the events of Illuminae are happening and as the Hypetia arrives.

New characters. I really enjoyed it.

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1174 comments Carolyn wrote: "The next book is at Heimdall and what is happening there while the events of Illuminae are happening and as the Hypetia arrives.

New characters. I really enjoyed it."

That would be Obsidio. The actual next book, after this one, is Gemina

message 46: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn  (ckarasch) Obsidio is not out yet. Gemina is at Heimdall.

message 47: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2812 comments Mod
I gotta say, I really enjoyed the hell out of this. Nicely written book, some great plot twists, and really interesting interior design. The page where the flight squadron gets spaced was haunting. This is another one I really thank whoever nominated it for. Nicely done.

message 48: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1679 comments I liked the ending! I had forgotten about that plot thread with the wicked mother and didn't tie it together.

message 49: by Sean (new)

Sean (redbeard007) | 95 comments Am I the only one not liking the MC's too terribly much? I get that Kady and Ezra are young but man....they get on my nerves at times. I also think I'm starting to side with AIDEN more. Have to finish it to see how the ending goes.

message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1183 comments You are not alone...granted I'm a teacher and at this time of year I am just so over teenagers in general.

« previous 1