Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Be Patient Or Just Do It?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 24 comments I apologize in advance for rambling…

So, my debut novel came out on April 1st. In the beginning, I loved my cover. But as I started to see it beside the others in Amazon listings, my love began to fade. I don’t feel that it stacks up with others in my genre and people aren’t clicking on it because the cover looks “homemade” compared to the others.

In my mind, this is the reason it’s not selling as well as I think it should. However, I am notoriously impatient and have higher expectations than I rightly should. I am a newbie nobody author, so that is why the book isn’t rising up the ranks.

I’ve created a dilemma for myself: leave the cover alone for at least 6 months, maybe a year, and be patient, or just go with a new, amazing cover. I’m struggling with this for emotional reasons: I know I’m impatient and this could just all be in my head, I think I may hurt my friends’ feelings who’ve already bought the book, and the designer might be hurt, too.

I think I’m writing this mostly to hear how stupid it sounds. (Sometimes, you just gotta talk it through.) I don’t need to worry about people’s feelings. This is a business and my book is a product. My gut says do it (why are you waffling, woman?) especially since the new design is so awesome, IMHO. But I really would love input from you all.

Thanks for listening!

CURRENT COVER

DRAFT COVER

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin | 12 comments I like the first one but I am older and the younger people might like the draft version. I think it might just be a matter of preference . Robin

message 3: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I would go with the new cover you love. It's a beautiful cover. As far as I know, readers who already purchased the ebook can keep the original cover. I'm impatient too :) so I totally understand, but mainly, why agonize for six months or a year? Good luck!

message 4: by Christina (last edited Jun 05, 2017 11:53AM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Hi Carrie,
Like I said in the previous thread about the new cover, the font is standard for fantasy to the point of overuse. While this means it is uniform with other covers for the genre, it doesn't stand out. The top cover stands out. Now, whether or not the new cover will get you more sales or not, there's no way to know. In all honesty, you can switch them in a matter of minutes, so why not experiment?

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 25 comments Definitely like the new draft cover better. It feels more sophisticated and less on the nose.

Also, no matter when you change the cover, you're going to confuse some people who either bought it already or have seen your ads, so my thinking is it's better to do it now and confuse fewer people.

In general, don't feel bad about not selling a lot right away. I find that while traditional publishing is a sprint, indie publishing is more of a marathon. Good luck! :)

message 6: by Carrie (last edited Jun 05, 2017 12:02PM) (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 24 comments Christina wrote: "you can switch them in a matter of minutes, so why not experiment..."

Christina - The only reason I'm hesitant on this is because of the paperback. I think it would look unprofessional to have the ebook one cover and the paperback another.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments I'm feeling your struggle, Carrie. I'm big into worrying about other people's feelings. Honestly, both covers are awesome. Would you be able to apply the fonts from the first cover to the second? That would be interesting. I say if you have a strong desire to change the cover, then change it. You can always change it back if you change your mind. Hugs

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I prefer the second cover. I love the metallic feel of the font in the title. The whole picture is simple yet sticks out.

I love the bird from the first, but it feels more like a couple of images put together so a bit less 'original' than the draft one.

message 9: by Eldon, Lost on the road to Mordor (new)

Eldon Farrell | 273 comments Mod
The second cover is definitely more eye catching for me; I would make the switch :)

message 10: by Angelo (new)

Angelo Marcos (angelomarcos) | 7 comments For what it's worth, I think the new cover looks great.

The older one is nice too, but the newer one looks more polished and - for me anyway - makes me want to read it!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

:-)

message 11: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments One qualification. I thought you meant you would change both covers, ebook and paperback. Since the first and second images are so far apart, then as a reader if I expected the new image and got the first image on a paperback, I probably would not be too happy. So my opinion on changing means both covers since they are very different. But that of course may not be doable. :)

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Carrie wrote: "Christina - The only reason I'm hesitant on this is because of the paperback. I think it would look unprofessional to have the ebook one cover and the paperback another."

Trads were the first to do different covers for ebooks and a lot of us have different covers for a variety of reasons, but you're not locked in with the paperback either. You can change the cover without changing the ISBN.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments I actually like both covers. So I'm not much help. I really just wanted to say follow your own gut. In the end it's the best friend you have

message 14: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4269 comments Mod
Carrie wrote: "Christina - The only reason I'm hesitant on this is because of the paperback. I think it would look unprofessional to have the ebook one cover and the paperback another. "

Then there are a lot of unprofessional authors out there. I've seen it done on many books.

Both covers are about equally nice. I don't really have a favorite between them.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments I like the imagery on the first cover, but I can see how people might get the home-made vibe from it. For me the 2nd image looks more professional and is more likely to encourage me to buy the book.

In my humble opinion there's nothing to keep you from having a different cover on the paperback and the ebook versions, but I'd try to maintain consistency if that is possible.

message 16: by Angelo (new)

Angelo Marcos (angelomarcos) | 7 comments Just to add, I agree that having the same cover for the ebook and paperback versions is probably best. If only from a branding perspective.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments I think I like the second cover more. The font really sticks out to me:) But I'm a believer in listening to your gut. Do what you feels best:)

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 24 comments Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback! I really appreciate it.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 528 comments Wow! Both are stunning but I prefer the second.

message 20: by Ian (new)

Ian (lonelyboy1977) | 1 comments Hi Carrie, my situation is similar to yours. My debut novel was released in April with a cover that I really like, but doesn't necessarily look as polished as other book covers in my genre, designed by professionals. The difference with me is that I knew from the get-go that the current cover will be replaced a year or so down the line, as I plan to release a 2nd edition of the book with the inclusion of bonus material not present in the 1st edition. That could be an option you might want to consider.

With regard to the two covers you've posted, I think the second one looks a lot better. But for what it's worth, I coincidentally just read a review of The White Raven half an hour ago by a blogger I follow, and your current cover didn't prevent her from gushing about your book.

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric Halpenny | 36 comments I like the second cover much better, but I don't know if I'm even your target audience. However, why not keep the original as it is and use the second cover for your next book, or the sequel (if there is one)? Just a thought.

message 22: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Carrie wrote: "I apologize in advance for rambling…

So, my debut novel came out on April 1st. In the beginning, I loved my cover. But as I started to see it beside the others in Amazon listings, my love began to..."

Adding my vote for the second cover. It looks more polished and professional.

message 23: by Hampton (new)

Hampton Lamoureux (midj916) | 8 comments I definitely lean more towards the second cover, although I remember someone mentioning in another thread that they were concerned about the cover fitting your narrative.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 30 comments I'm on board with the second one as well. It appears whimsical, and the font is lovely! That said, the purple cover is smashing as well.

Great job on both!

message 25: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I think the 2d one is more refined, but the 1st purple cover has more energy. It might appear so because of the large size but those purple clouds imply movement, the girl is going in one direction, the raven in another. There is some of that in the 2d one as well. As mentioned in the original thread with just the new cover, it wants to be energetic but doesn't quite. They are still both nice though. :)

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 24 comments Your feedback has been great! I've decided that when I go "wide" with The White Raven, it will be with the new cover.

Thanks! :-D