RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2017 discussion

Isabella, Star of the Story

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 14 comments Mod
I hope you enjoy this adorable picture book. If you like this one, there are other Isabella books for you to check out!!

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments What a great introduction story to the wonderful world of books, imagination in reading, and the library! I would absolutely read this to preK-3rd to help inspire a longing for imagination, and to familiarize with the library process.

The different character references could be discussed as starting books for some students to choose from. Maybe students could then take on their own book, and become the character as we were discussing earlier in class. However, I would present this more on a fun, exploratory level rather than an older, analysis level.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments I just need to start off by saying that I LOVED this book! It was wonderfully written and adorably illustrated. When I read this book, I was taken back to my childhood, when my grandmother and granddaddy would take me to the local library each week during the summer. We would pick out books and read them, then put them immediately back on the shelves to find more that we could take home. We would have reading camps once a month, where an author would come and read with us and then have activities for us to do that went along with the books!

My days at the library are where I discovered my love of reading biographies, where I became a kindred spirit to Anne Frank, and where I developed a fascination with Harry Potter. Books were always a safe place for me, and are part of the reason I became a reading teacher.

This book is one I'd love to read to my class at the beginning of the school year. It's a perfect story for explaining how the development of a love of reading and the skills that go along with that can take you to places and make you become someone that you never imagined before.

Being a teacher in the inner city, this book would also be a good connection to some of my students, because they have lives that they many times want to escape. Reading this book will show them that maybe, even if just for a few minutes time, they can escape their reality and become the hero or heroine of a grand adventure!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Skiles | 14 comments Super cute book! My daughter and I read this book together, and just adored it. I instantly fell in love with Isabella. She reminds me so much of my sweet daughter with her love of books and the library and her eagerness to use her imagination in enjoying the books she chose. The illustrations are delightful and imaginative. I was glad to see references to classic children's literature, including Peter Pan, Goldilocks, Dorothy, and Alice. It was really neat to be able to read the information about the authors of these classic works that the author included at the back of the book. This is a great book to use in encouraging students to read and imagine their way through some great children's literature.

message 5: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments I enjoyed the pictures in this book. They are very colorful and funny at times. This book sends a message to children that they can imagine to be anyone. Nonetheless, I feel that this book will inspire and motivate students to read and love books. This will be a great book to read aloud to a group of students, especially if the reader uses intonation and character voices to really engage the audience.

message 6: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 14 comments The first thing I noticed when I picked up this book was the colorful cover of the book. This book would definitely grab the attention of any child. I would read this book to my kindergarten students. I thought it was very interesting how Isabella would become different characters from classic books. A fun activity to do with students could be acting out this story and letting the kids become the different characters.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 25 comments I really enjoyed this book. I love Isabella's excitement for books. It is also a great example of how books influence children in their every day lives.

message 8: by Tien (new)

Tien Dinh | 14 comments I would love to read this awesome book to my little cousins. This book was pure charming, entertaining, and funny - a perfect book for little children just starting out to read by themselves. I love how Isabella uses her imagination and make-believe that she is some of the most famous women throughout history. This book is great to introduce young students to important famous female individuals throughout history and can be created into a fun history lesson.

message 9: by Ixtchel (last edited Jun 11, 2017 03:52PM) (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments this book is adorable. I think it really brings a lot of interest to reading but shows how imagination can create a great reading experience. I think this book also lends itself well to showing students how they can create their own characters in their stories but also THEY can be a character of their own story. a lot of times I have have heard students ask, can I put myself in this story, or can I make the character like me or my friends. I think these places end up being great​ places of inspiration for writing and reading.

This book would lead into other great reading, because as I thought about it, some of our kids may not even know the characters she talks about in the book. It could also be used to compare and contrast types of stories or individual fairy tales that kids love to read.

message 10: by Tanner (last edited Jun 08, 2017 12:49PM) (new)

Tanner Pruitt | 11 comments I loved this book! I just like the idea of imagining yourself as a character in a story, it makes everything more personal and makes you think about what you would do if you were a certain character. Maybe you would do things differently, how would you feel, etc. In most of our literature classes we talk about writing something from some one else's perspective or we ask the students to explain what they would do if they were in a certain situation. I also simply loved the illustrations <3

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Tien wrote: "I would love to read this awesome book to my little cousins. This book was pure charming, entertaining, and funny - a perfect book for little children just starting out to read by themselves. I lov..."

Have you ever read Chelsea Clinton's book, She Persisted??? Looks super cute!!!

message 12: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments It is great to see a child headed on a long journey to pretend that they are characters of a story just to get them to read book and enjoy doing so. I did not get to read it to my children but this is a great book that I will love to read to them.

message 13: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Tien wrote: "I would love to read this awesome book to my little cousins. This book was pure charming, entertaining, and funny - a perfect book for little children just starting out to read by themselves. I lov..."

I have a niece that would love this book only because she is always imagining herself as a character.

message 14: by Marcus (new)

Marcus VanBuren | 21 comments Ariel wrote: "The first thing I noticed when I picked up this book was the colorful cover of the book. This book would definitely grab the attention of any child. I would read this book to my kindergarten studen..."

Not only did she become a different character she would also change her name until it was time to use her Library card to check out the books.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ram Gosnell | 42 comments Tanner wrote: "I loved this book! I just like the idea of imagining yourself as a character in a story, it makes everything more personal and makes you think about what you would do if you were a certain characte..."

It is great that you bring up the fact that when you are engrossed in reading something you love, you probably imagine yourself as a character. Reflecting on my current personal book (which is told from multiple povs), I like to "become" a few of the characters.

message 16: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Tien wrote: "I would love to read this awesome book to my little cousins. This book was pure charming, entertaining, and funny - a perfect book for little children just starting out to read by themselves. I lov..."

Agreed! I am so passionate about seeing literature come to life for ALL students, and just like our racially diverse students, I think it is important for both boys and girls to see that they can be heroes, too!

message 17: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Marcus wrote: "It is great to see a child headed on a long journey to pretend that they are characters of a story just to get them to read book and enjoy doing so. I did not get to read it to my children but this..."

Marcus, I think that reading to your kiddos is so important! We have to model the things that we want them to do, and I bet they would love their daddy to read with them. :)

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Wolf (mrskewolf) | 51 comments Ashley wrote: "Tien wrote: "I would love to read this awesome book to my little cousins. This book was pure charming, entertaining, and funny - a perfect book for little children just starting out to read by them..."

I've heard about "She Persisted"! I want to put it on my Summer (i.e. When I get around to it) Reading List. :D

message 19: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments I love your idea! I also enjoyed the pictures.

message 20: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Lerma | 41 comments Ashley wrote: "What a great introduction story to the wonderful world of books, imagination in reading, and the library! I would absolutely read this to preK-3rd to help inspire a longing for imagination, and to ..."

I would love to use this book during the first days of school to get students interested in reading. Also, I think that it would be a great idea to read the books mentioned in the story beforehand. That way, the students will connect with the story better.

message 21: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments Ashley wrote: "What a great introduction story to the wonderful world of books, imagination in reading, and the library! I would absolutely read this to preK-3rd to help inspire a longing for imagination, and to ..."

I think that letting the kids be an author, especially a character of their own story is very inspiring. I have seen many classrooms where teachers go all out and create a grand author's chair for the kids to sit in to share their readings. That attention is scary for some kids though and sometimes just having a published version in the classroom of their story and having another student read it would be nice so that they see that their work is appreciated.

message 22: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments Ariel wrote: "The first thing I noticed when I picked up this book was the colorful cover of the book. This book would definitely grab the attention of any child. I would read this book to my kindergarten studen..."

I definitely agree about how the book grabs your attention simply from the colors and illustrations. Perhaps doing a picture walk and letting the kids think about what is going on in the story before it is read. I think it would be nice to extend the activity and perhaps create "classroom" library cards with their picture on it as they practice how to check books out.

message 23: by Ixtchel (new)

Ixtchel Olalde | 24 comments Marcus wrote: "It is great to see a child headed on a long journey to pretend that they are characters of a story just to get them to read book and enjoy doing so. I did not get to read it to my children but this..."

It is nice when you can get children excited about reading, but what I really like about this book is that it shows reading and the interaction of the library to be a family thing. As her parents are both taking her to the library, it is a focal point to share and emphasize with our parents about the importance of sharing reading time with their children whenever possible.