Beyond Reality discussion

The Stars My Destination
This topic is about The Stars My Destination
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > The Stars My Destination -- Roll Call and First Impressions **NO SPOILERS!!!**

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Please let us know if you are reading, or plan to read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.

Please, **NO SPOILERS** in this thread.

Rachel | 67 comments A couple chapters in - thinking how much better life could be as a stay at home mom of little twins if I could jaunte to the store - or grandparents house!

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Read this a couple of years ago. I had read The Demolished Man decades before and was looking forward to it. The story was quite different than what I had imagined. Can't say more here.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2174 comments Mod
Hoping to read it but probably not until school gets out in a few weeks!

Nick (doily) | 966 comments I am glad to see that there are some jumping in to review this "Classic" -- though probably not as well known as The Demolished Man. Looking forward to a discussion once a few folks have finished it.

message 6: by Random (last edited Jun 06, 2017 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Random (rand0m1s) | 819 comments I have to admit, The Demolished Man is by far my favorite Bester book. Though this one has have some interesting aspects.

Phil Jensen | 57 comments I'm excited to read this one!

Phil Jensen | 57 comments Oops, I accidentally started Stars before finishing my current book and it's awesome. Now do I dnf and focus on Bester or push through my current read and use Bester as a reward/motivation?

I advise first time readers to skip Neil Gaiman's introduction.

On a thread somewhere, a number of fans told me that Stars is more pulp than hard SF. One chapter in, I'd say there are some fairly hard elements, but I'll wait for the spoilers thread to pursue that idea.

Random (rand0m1s) | 819 comments Lets take the hard science fiction discussion to the spoiler thread when you're ready. I have some comments and I don't think I could go through them without spoilers in one way or another.

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Phil wrote: "Oops, I accidentally started Stars before finishing my current book and it's awesome. Now do I dnf and focus on Bester or push through my current read and use Bester as a reward/motivation?

I advi..."

Why skip Gaiman's intro? Spoilery?

message 11: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 57 comments Silvana wrote: "Why skip Gaiman's intro? Spoilery? "

Yes. I know spoilers are controversial on GR- some people fear that over-sensitivity to them shuts down conversation. Personally, though, I like to go into a famous book with as little prejudice as possible. Constructing it in my own mind is part of the joy of reading.

Rachel | 67 comments Finished last night, I did read intro but didn't think it was all that spoiler-y. Lots of different takes on this book, as is generally true for an old classic