Beyond Reality discussion

The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
This topic is about The Waking Fire
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > The Waking Fire -- Finished Reading **SPOILERS!!**

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments If you've finished reading The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan, this is the place to share your thoughts with the group.

Caution: There will likely be **SPOILERS** in this thread.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Am I the only one reading this book?

It has lots of good stuff I like such as naval battles, magical abilities defined by something you ingest (which reminded me of Mistborn trilogy) and a kickass female spy.

However it feels like it has too many elements. The pirates to me are not too important (altho they could be later) and there are lots and lots of walking.

message 3: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 499 comments Mod
At first, the magical system reminded me of Mistborn. From an ecological standpoint, however, society's dependence on dragon blood is headed for a crash, clearly not sustainable. I found myself rooting for the dragons.

And so much carnage! Go somewhere new, fight hordes of faceless things, win against impossible odds. I thought we had too much of it. Still, I found the last quarter of the book the most engaging.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Oh I also like the environment/animal welfare angle. It is like people are depending on fossil fuel nowadays.

What do you think about the POV characters? I wish we have more of the naval officer, his story was diluted by the pirates stuff and their family issues.

I like Lizanne, she is great. Not sure about Clay, felt too juvenile for me. How old is he exactly? Must have not really too far from Lizanne, right?

message 5: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 499 comments Mod
Hmmm, I didn't care as much for Lizanne. I think she was too single minded, too focused, so she felt a bit one sided to me. I did like Clay more and more as we went along, probably because we could see him grow.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Interesting you said that. It got me thinking. I might have preferred characters who are quite stable and mature enough and see how they deal with the ever-changing situation (which actually also implies a different kind of growth) - maybe that is why I don't like YA - instead of characters who still need to grow emotionally especially if they are still young and/or from devil-may-care to hero/anti-hero. I read too many of those already.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Silvana wrote: "Interesting you said that. It got me thinking. I might have preferred characters who are quite stable and mature enough and see how they deal with the ever-changing situation (which actually also i..."

That's an interesting point on YA. I, too, find the characters in YA literature somewhat lacking because, even though they need to grow, they sometimes do not end up doing so. Is this situation akin to real teenagers? After all, if we remember our teenage years, we knew everything back then. Only as we grow older do we realize more and more how much we do not know.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Yeah as a former teenager I felt fine in my own little world (and did not even think there's a bigger world out there) with friends, malls and stuff. With that being said, I feel character development could be subtle with less drama or trauma or wounds or loved ones getting killed or sob backstory. It is indeed could be through what you experienced as an adult or more mature character like what both Hilemore and Lizanne experienced. Hilemore had to deal with new command, Lizanne with her superior, both had to cope with the political upheaval and escalating war. I feel that's enough drama to make me enjoy a character. Obviously you saw how Lizanne had to face the truth and forced to step up. So does Hilemore.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Waking Fire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anthony Ryan (other topics)