What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. English Humour: small town, unintended murder, sex toy factory and bizarre characters. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marta (new)

Marta Muñoz-Cobo (martasaurio) | 5 comments I read this novel about five years ago, but lost it afterwards. It was a paperback with a handmade picture of a village and a car in a road, in a not obvious but comic depiction of the plot. It's by an english male writer I think.

I remember the main character to be a very unlucky and livable character that is driving nearby an english country village when he accidentally kills/finds dead a local that is well known in town. There is a police investigation that seems to be very lousy, the wife of the dead man is a woman that likes underwear a lot, the rich woman or woman of society in town has a servant that calls her "mum" and she and her brother have repurposed the family business factories to make sex toys.
It's a very funny story with an equally funny ending, but this is all I remember avoiding spoilers.
Any help to identify this novel would be highly appreciated, thank you!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Did it seem old or new when you read it? Or, about when do you think it was published? Could it be something by David Lodge?

message 3: by Marta (new)

Marta Muñoz-Cobo (martasaurio) | 5 comments It did seem old like 80' 90'! The author rings a bell

message 4: by Marta (new)

Marta Muñoz-Cobo (martasaurio) | 5 comments It seemed something written around the 80s or 90s. Let me check that author it seems like it could be him! Thank you for your reply and sugestions!!

message 5: by Nente (new)

Nente | 69 comments Something reminds me of Tom Sharpe. I've only read a couple of his Wilt books (the two first in the series), and they are not it, but you might want to check out his other works.

message 6: by Marta (new)

Marta Muñoz-Cobo (martasaurio) | 5 comments Oh my god!! It' Ancestral Vices by Tom Sharpe!! Thank you so much for helping me find out this author, the book has been in my mind for weeks!! Also, I highly recommend it, it's hilarious.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34456 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Marta. Here's the link via Nente's suggestion - Ancestral Vices by Tom Sharpe.

message 8: by Nente (new)

Nente | 69 comments Cheers Marta, glad to help even though it was a stab in the dark =)

message 9: by Marta (new)

Marta Muñoz-Cobo (martasaurio) | 5 comments Well, Nente, it was a lucky stab in the dark if you ask me :D And reading reviews it seems the author has better books, so I am glad to have the chance to find out, thank you again!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ancestral Vices (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Lodge (other topics)
Tom Sharpe (other topics)