Grimdark Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads Nominations & Polls > July/August '17 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 573 comments Mod
The nomination thread for our next group read is up!

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) The Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1) by Sebastien de Castell

message 4: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 9 comments Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark"

This seems like a fantastic one! :)

message 5: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Petrik wrote: "Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark"

This seems like a fantastic one! :)"

I'm really excited for this one!

message 6: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I 2nd Traitors Blade and would like to nominate The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1) by Luke Scull by Luke Scull

message 7: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Collins (grimdarkmagazine) | 6 comments Evil is a Matter of Perspective: An Anthology of Antagonists from Grimdark Magazine.

I'd also be willing to put up some free e-versions to make sure as many people as possible in the group read had a copy to read.Evil is a Matter of Perspective: An Anthology of Antagonists

message 8: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 9 comments Adrian wrote: "Evil is a Matter of Perspective: An Anthology of Antagonists from Grimdark Magazine.

I'd also be willing to put up some free e-versions to make sure as many people as possible in the group read ha..."

that cover is sick!!!

message 9: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

For Rick Newland

The Mountains Rise by Michael G. Manning

message 10: by S. (new)

S. D. Howarth (sdhowarth) | 4 comments I've got Traitors Blade recently too. That makes it easy.

message 11: by Davy (new)

Davy | 5 comments I second both Traitor's Blade and Grim Company (got both on my TBR list). And I'll nominate Age of Iron.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 22 comments Adrian wrote: "Evil is a Matter of Perspective: An Anthology of Antagonists from Grimdark Magazine.

I'd also be willing to put up some free e-versions to make sure as many people as possible in the group read ha..."

Sweet. I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Have the ebook, but waiting for the paperback to arrive before starting. I want the full experience :)

message 13: by Andy (new)

Andy | 34 comments I'll second Evil Is A Matter of Perspective. I'm reading it now and mostly loving it! I think anthologies make for good book club discussions because you can discuss all the different authors and stories, compare favorites, etc.

Having said that, I'd also be really psyched for Court of Broken Knives, Grim Company, or Traitor's Blade.

message 14: by Kieron (new)

Kieron I will 2nd Age Of Iron. Nice selection of books so far.

message 15: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Spencer | 14 comments Hmm...Kings of the Wyld has me intrigued.

message 16: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

M.L. wrote: "Hmm...Kings of the Wyld has me intrigued."

Nice. I genuinely have no idea who to vote for now! So many excellent choices.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 89 comments Great list.

I'm reading Kings of the Wyld right now. I wouldn't really think of this as GD. It's one of the most humorous fantasy books I've read. Very entertaining. As things stand it's a 4* at 55% read.

Age of Iron, I've read the first two books in this trilogy and will be doing book three later this month. It's definitely dark and a historical fiction piece centered around Britain and Rome early AD. I've rated the first two books 3.5*'s.

Grim Company has been on my TBR for a long time.

Traitor's Blade, I've read the first three in this series and will do book 4, the finale, later this month. Book 1 a struggle but books 2 + 3 are great. Each book gets a little darker. Book 1 a round up to 3*'s with books 2 and 3 both being 4.5*'s.

Evil is a Matter of Perspective I hadn't considered before.

The Mountains Rise has been on my TBR for a while.

The Court of Broken Knives I hadn't heard of before but not I'm quite intrigued to read this and will no matter if it wins the vote or not.

message 19: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Read a quote somewhere this week that said Kings of the Wyld is like Terry Pratchett meets Joe Abercrombie which sounds good to me.

message 20: by Davy (new)

Davy | 5 comments Kieron wrote: "Read a quote somewhere this week that said Kings of the Wyld is like Terry Pratchett meets Joe Abercrombie which sounds good to me."

Ok I'm sold! :)

message 21: by Scott (last edited Jun 07, 2017 06:51AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 89 comments Kieron wrote: "Read a quote somewhere this week that said Kings of the Wyld is like Terry Pratchett meets Joe Abercrombie which sounds good to me."

That might actually be pretty accurate but because of the humor and a few other factors I won't discuss as to not spoil it the edges aren't as blount. I remember reading a review Mark Lawrence, sorry I'm 99% sure it was you Mark if it wasn't, did of Lies of Locke Lamora where he thought a torture scene was much worse than anything he had put into the Broken Empire series. In a vacuum that was probably true but because Locke and the boys have a capricious swashbuckling nature to their tales somehow it wasn't as bad, as an example.

message 22: by Joe (new)

Joe Lindley | 3 comments Kings of the Wyld gets my vote

message 23: by Zaphod (last edited Jun 11, 2017 04:50AM) (new)

Zaphod | 2 comments I would like to nominate The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French

message 24: by Kieron (new)

Kieron The Grey Bastards in not available for purchase until 2018 according to the authors website.

message 25: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Zaphod wrote: "I would like to nominate The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French"

Kieron is correct, The Grey Bastards is not available. I believe the author is in the process of getting a publishing deal, so the self-pub version is no longer available.

Would you like to nominate something else?

message 26: by Zaphod (new)

Zaphod | 2 comments Apologies everyone, i didn't know, i got the recommendation some time ago from Mark Lawrence site.

And to be honest i havent been paying attention to the group as much as i should so if the group hasnt red the The Builders by Daniel Polansky thats what i would recommend.

And if you had read that one why not try the Red Sister by Mark Lawrence.

And if you are done with that one i promise next time i will step up my book game. :-)

message 27: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Zaphod wrote: "Apologies everyone, i didn't know, i got the recommendation some time ago from Mark Lawrence site.

And to be honest i havent been paying attention to the group as much as i should so if the group ..."

That's quite alright! We've read The Builders, but Red Sister is an excellent choice!

I'll set up the poll now.

message 28: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.