Addicted to YA discussion

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
This topic is about Lady Midnight
Heroines > Emma Carstairs (Lady Midnight)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Barns | 21 comments Ive just started on lord of shadows, i like the girl but shes not as badass as tessa, izzy or even clary to a degree. I dont find her as likeable or as easy to love.

Miranda (readiculousreader) | 17 comments I feel like she's the female version of Jace.

Suzi Evelyn (suzievelyn) I definitely don't think she's like any of the other characters from the Shadowhunter novels, but I do have an appreciation for her. Yes, I can see bits of some other Shadowhunters in her, but she's her own character as a whole. I'm finding that I like her a lot more in Lord of Shadows than I did in Lady Midnight.

faiith Emma was really forgettable for me. She is a lot more well rounded than, say, Tessa or Clary, when it comes to ability but she's also ridiculously boring. She has no memorable lines, intriguing relationships or characteristics that make her stand out among the cast of characters she's put in. Actually, most of the characters in Dark Artifices seems that way to me. Don't get me wrong, I love Clare and her books and have been a big fan since I read TMI and TID three years ago, but I really despised all the characters in Lady Midnight since I found them so annoying and one dimensional. Lady Midnight was SOOO underwhelming and I hated reading it the whole time, and the main part of that was because of Emma and the Blackthorns. (Hey that sounds like a band name. Oh god I miss Simon. 😭)

message 5: by Karen (last edited Jul 17, 2017 07:44PM) (new)

Karen I really like her. In my opinion, she seemed skilled, and I liked seeing things in the perspective of someone who had been a shadowhunter all their life. I thought she had a strong character - stronger than Clary maybe? I did like her more than Clary - and that she knew her goal and what she was doing. Her relationship with the Blackthorns were very close and knit together, and their interactions were very cute.

message 6: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl I like her and have mad respect for her, I really feel for Jules cause I agree it's really hard to know what she's thinking most of the time. Even I was surprised sometimes that the feelings were mutual since Jules raises the bar pretty high with 99% of his thoughts indirectly involving Emma.

Lvzer1 | 4 comments love her character!!!

message 8: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallie27) | 19 comments I feel as though she is really shallow and is quite thoughtless. She's quite funny but she just is not the best Clare character.

katherine (anonymous_penguin) | 72 comments Is it weird if I say I don't really like any of the Dark Artifices characters except like Jem, Tessa, and Magnus, who I'm not entirely sure count because this isn't their series? Well, I guess Julian has his moments. Also Mark and Kieran. Anyway, Emma is kind of... annoying? She's basically Jace, it seems. Like, 91% Jace and 9% Emma, but that's mostly because she's in love with her parabatai? I can't really tell if it's that small bit of her being herself that makes me dislike her or how most of her is basically Jace... who I am actually going to say was just okay. Like, he was good, but nowhere as good as Will, I'm just going to say. Anyway, the Dark Artifices just isn't as good an honestly, I'm like grateful for this chat because I thought I was alone in disliking TDA based off all the stuff I've seen. There are so many people who absolutely love Emma and think she is the best Carstairs and I just sit there in shock, like uhh have they forgotten about Jem? Hello? James Carstairs? Remember him? The poor kid who was tortured and watched his parents get tortured to death and was strong and brave afterwards and is one of the kindest people ever?

message 10: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallie27) | 19 comments Okay I love the books. But compared to the other female characters, Emma comes across as whiny and very very rash. I do like her but not as much

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim | 85 comments haha, yes she is like female Jace.

But she has a lot more to her character. I think Emma is like the first female character from all of cassandra clares work, that I really love. She is so smooth and really badass :3

message 12: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia (musical_books) I've literally just started Lady Midnight (about 200 pages in) and so far I love her. She is so sweet but also determined to be one of the best Shadowhunters out there, especially because she is friends with the original gang. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of this series because I can tell Emma is going to be one of my favourite characters in the Shadow world.

message 13: by Simone (last edited Jan 04, 2021 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Simone Lightwood (simonelightwood) | 41 comments I think that Emma is the best main character from the whole shadowhunter chronicles (I haven't read COG yet). She is the first main protagonist that was raised as a shadowhunter and I enjoyed badass female lead. Clary and Tessa were new to the shadowhunter world, but Emma is 'the new Jace Herondale' and that says something about her. Her fighting skills are flawless and she didn't have any superpowers she would use to 'save the world'. Tessa has ability to change into a different person and Clary can create new runes, but Emma doesn't have any superpowers. She basically saved everybody with out being extraordinary. The only extraordinary thing is Cortana.
(view spoiler)
In my opinion Tessa is boring character, not bad, but not good I wasn't fan of her in the infernal devices. But I think her character gets a lot better in TDA and TMI. Maybe I'll like her more thanks to COG which I'm looking forward to.
On the other hand we have Clary... I don't say she is bad character not at all, but sometimes she does very cringe things, but I understand, because she is teenager from 2007 so it's acceptable. And I like her in TDA more than in TMI, because she was more grown up and her decisions made a lot more sense.