SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

Ender's Game Orson Scott

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mauricio (last edited Jun 08, 2017 03:30PM) (new)

Mauricio Ayala | 8 comments Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game takes place in a futuristic world, where Earth is in war with aliens called Buggers. In this world, they have an international military force that trains young kids, like Ender Wiggin, the main character in the book, to command an army to fight off the Buggers. Why children? The theory is that children aren't boxed in with adult ideas. Also, young ones cant think of the consequences after their actions. Ender is the third child in his family. In this society it's not custom to have three children. Peter, his older brother, bullies him and has anger towards him because he is the special third child. Not only is he the third child, but he has been watched by the military force as a possible recruit, whereas Peter was quickly rejected. Ender then get recruited and goes to Battle School. There Ender has to face difficult simulations to prove that he can be a good leader. In Battle School, Ender gets bullied by the other kids. The only thing that’s keeping him together is the love of his sister Valentine, the only one that cares about him and protected him from Peter. Ender later shows that he is a strong leader and is allowed to join and eventually lead groups with brighter student like him. There's a point where Ender is being train by Rackham, the hero who saved Earth in the second invasion by the Buggers, and Ender realizes that he has been lied to the whole time.

This book was interesting. It had a good development of Ender's conflict and how he got through it. I enjoyed how the main characters were kids and how they had the future of the world depending on them. The author did a wonderful job in including the thought process Ender had to go through in making decisions. For example, in the beginning when Ender was on his way to Battle School, he puzzled out how gravity could be manipulated for strategical purposes in battle. I was a big fan of the science aspect; Card used realistic sounding technology to describe the spaceships and weapons to destroy the Buggers. This helped develop the setting and made it more interesting throughout the book. Overall, I liked this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes mental puzzles and war strategy.

message 2: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Garcia | 8 comments Enders Game reminds me of The Hunger Games. It sounds interesting but I don't think its meant to for me . I can check it out and see how it is. What I don't get is how come they use younger kids for the war instead of older people ?