Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures (Victorian Adventures, #1)
This topic is about Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR: Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Joanna and I will be reading Lillian Marek's Lady Elinor's Wicked Adventures starting Wednesday.

message 2: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 06, 2017 04:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I'm unexpectedly off from work today.

I'm going to start this book, but since I'll probably fall behind, I ask wthat when anyone posts, please say what chapter you stopped at when you comment so I don't read a comment about a point I haven't reached in the book.

The location in Italy is probably why I bought the book in the first place.

Is Anyone else interested in this book?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Amazon or Kindle is full of baloney. In my kindle edition of this book, the page count is 353 pages and the time estimate to read this is 4 hours and 47 minutes? Who is this based on? I couldn't read this in that time frame with a gun to my head unless skimming is considered reading!

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
Sounds good Andrea! I don't know who that timeframe is based on either, but it surely isn't me. I tend to read on the slow side though.

message 5: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Yeah, that's ridiculous! I read a lot because I read for long periods of a time, not super fast. I just cannot skim. I either read or give up (rarely). A 353 page book takes 6-8 hours (depending on font size and ease of vocabulary).

message 6: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments I have not started yet, but I plan to read four chapters after work today. I will post my thoughts afterward.

message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I planned to read this evening too. I'll stick with 4 chapters, also.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Read Chapters 1-4.

So far I am finding this an easy read. I could have kept going. I like the characters so far, and I appreciate the descriptions of places Harry has traveled and the details of what goes into planning for the upcoming trip. Harry is probably the most questionable in the likability factor, but I am glad he went to visit his sisters. I was concerned he would keep putting in off. I don't particularly like the fact that he is leaving them. I suppose bringing them would not be very feasible. Too early to tell how it is all going to work out, but it's a promising start.

message 9: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments I also completed chapters 1-4, and I agree with your comments. It is an easy read. Let's plan to read more than four chapters tomorrow.

I was a little surprised that Harry is traveling with the entire family. When I read the synopsis, I figured Elinor and Harry would separately travel and happen to meet in Italy or travel for some purpose requiring them to go with just a chaperone or something.

message 10: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was surprised how it all came about too. I thought that would meet in Italy, rather than travel together also.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Yeah, I thought they would "run" into each other on separate travel in Italy.

I feel sorry for Harry's sisters. Those poor girls!

Although Harry's home situation was terrible when he was growing up, its great that he was so welcome at the Tremaine's during his growing years to see what a real family is like headed by parent who love each other and their children and willing to love Harry. His sisters were not so lucky...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Joanna wrote: "Read Chapters 1-4.

So far I am finding this an easy read. I could have kept going. I like the characters so far, and I appreciate the descriptions of places Harry has traveled and the details of w..."

Those descriptions that you mentioned are what I really love--gives a view of how travel was carried out in the past. This is what I love if an HR can include this sort of thing/detail in a book.

message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Read Chapters 1-4.

So far I am finding this an easy read. I could have kept going. I like the characters so far, and I appreciate the descriptions of places Harry has traveled and t..."

In general, I am a bit fickle when it comes to descriptions. I can get bored if overdone, but this book is striking a good balance so far.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I love description! In HR or HF!

message 15: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Well, ladies, I got carried away and read chapters 5-16 today.

There are quite a few characters and several side plots. I typically do not like a large cast; but for some reason, I don't mind it. The descriptions of people are as clear as the details of travel. That means I don't have to be confused and ask myself, "Which one is this again?"

Before I make more specific comments, where are each of you in the book?

message 16: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am enjoying the descriptions also. I am just finished with chapter 7 and will try to get through more this morning. Didn't have much time last night to get very far.

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Read chapters 5-10

Just finished chapter 10 and thought it was interesting how the narration follows other characters regularly. (view spoiler)

I agree Mariana, though there are more characters being introduced I don't feel confused. Marek is handling it well. I find myself making sure I read every sentence and not skimming at all because I think I could miss something. Marek clearly has her own style and I find myself liking it quite well.

message 18: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will try to catch up this evening!

message 19: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Joanna wrote: "Read chapters 5-10

Just finished chapter 10 and thought it was interesting how the narration follows other characters regularly. [spoilers removed]

I agree Mariana, though there are more characte..."

Yeah, she definitely has her own style; and it is refreshing.

message 20: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments I read chapters 17-20 today.

message 21: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Read to Chapter 16

I can see why, Mariana, you stopped after Chapter 15. Wow, the relationship sure did change quickly! I am currently in a place where I can read a lot but don't have very good access to the internet.

message 22: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Joanna wrote: "Read to Chapter 16

I can see why, Mariana, you stopped after Chapter 15. Wow, the relationship sure did change quickly! I am currently in a place where I can read a lot but don't have very good ac..."

Yes, the relationship certainly did change quickly!

I hope that being in a place without good access to internet means your taking a fun and relaxing weekend trip somewhere. I love those.

Let's finish reading tomorrow and discuss on Monday.

message 23: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Picking back up at chapter 21 was a bit disorienting, like a jump cut in a movie. I think Marek writes like a movie with a bunch of characters, side stories, and mini-scenes that allow more story in a smaller time.

message 24: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, that's a good analogy. I have been trying to figure it out what her writing reminds me of. On one hand the there are a lot of details to paint a picture, but then the writing is also very efficient. I thought it was working for me well for the most part but then Chapter 21 had too many moving parts. I got disoriented with it too, and I didn't really set it down in between.

message 25: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh and I am having fun on a weekend trip camping not far from home, just to get away for a little bit.

message 26: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished! I'm still trying to process this to a certain degree, but I would said this is a like, not love for me.

message 27: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 11, 2017 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "Well, ladies, I got carried away and read chapters 5-16 today.

There are quite a few characters and several side plots. I typically do not like a large cast; but for some reason, I don't mind it. ..."

I just finished ch 10.

Large casts of characters can indeed be problematic and cause confusion, but in this book I'm not struggling to keep everyone straight.

I am also enjoying what I expect is a secondary romance between Lissandra.

And also enjoy other side plots. This author has made me sit up and take notice with her deft handling of a cast of characters and several side plots.

Although I'm behind the rest of you in my reading of this book it is NOT for lack of enjoyment!

Also the author's correct handling of titles, surnames and given names of male characters in the hands of a certain big, commercial publisher would be changed/simplified. The author handles use of these titles and names in a more authentic way rather than "dumbing it down" for people from the US.

message 28: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Well, ladies, I got carried away and read chapters 5-16 today.

There are quite a few characters and several side plots. I typically do not like a large cast; but for some reason, I..."

Andrea, I am glad you are enjoying it! You can tell much research went into the writing of this book, and I like the way she provides the details. "Deft handling" is very apt.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I just looked into the author's book page. This book is a first book she published and a first book of a series.

If this book continues to be good for me, I'd like to read the others of hers of this series. Oh no! I'm going to have add another series I need to follow!

message 30: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Good book for her first!

I finished reading today, and I definitely enjoyed it enough to continue on to the second book in the series.

message 31: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree - it's a strong debut novel. I will definitely be continuing the series. Her writing style and the locations these novels take place are what draws me in.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Joanna wrote: "I agree - it's a strong debut novel. I will definitely be continuing the series. Her writing style and the locations these novels take place are what draws me in."

Same here Joanna!

Location! Location! Location!

message 33: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

*Spoiler territory*

There were many moving parts toward the end of the book, and while I was following all of it, the time spent on some scenes were a little too brief. Some times Marek was too efficient in the parts focused on the romance, also. My complaints with the book are minor, but here they are:

The patriarch's decision to not tell Harry and Elinor about Landi's escape was foolish from otherwise rational characters. Yes, they were just married, but they would be the focus of Landi's vengeance.

The love scenes were very brief. Some authors can devote an entire chapter to one love scene, and here we get a few paragraphs. I get the impression that the author wasn't entirely comfortable writing them. A little disappointing, especially when the passion and tension outside the bedroom was pretty well done. Also, Elinor's first time being just wonderful and completely pain free with no discomfort was a cliche romance novel experience not rooted in reality - a little annoying.

Finally, the reckoning with Harry's awful mother seemed too neatly done. I found it difficult to believe that the woman who was clearly very manipulative and had managed to live as she wanted for years was brought in check in one conversation with her son and daughter-in-law. Maybe we will see more of her in later novels? Also why was there no attempt to redeem the mother, even just a little bit?

message 34: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Joanna wrote: "*Spoiler territory*

There were many moving parts toward the end of the book, and while I was following all of it, the time spent on some scenes were a little too brief. Some times Marek was too ef..."

Yes, as soon as I read Elinor's father decided not to tell of Landi's escape, I knew what was coming. This was out of character for an otherwise wise patriarch.

I also agree that the love scenes were too short. This book is definitely more about the full picture of the adventure than the primary love story. The lack of pain for Elinor's first time didn't bother me though. I do believe different women have different experiences, and most romance novels write some level of discomfort. I thought it was more unusual than anything.

I also wanted to find out more about Harry's family and how it all played out at the end. In fact, I was hoping book two would be about his sister's debut; but it seems to be about Elinor's sister instead.

One thing I enjoyed about the book was Elinor's parents active involvement in the plot. It was unusual but refreshing to have Elinor and Harry to honestly share with them about all that was going on--theft, Lissandra's brother, etc.

message 35: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana wrote: "Joanna wrote: "*Spoiler territory*

There were many moving parts toward the end of the book, and while I was following all of it, the time spent on some scenes were a little too brief. Some times M..."

I did not mean to imply that she had to feel pain, nor did I express my thoughts well on this point (which was really a very minor grievance). I think it's more the lack of pain was the only acknowledgment that it was her first time. Anyways, I agree that the focus was more full picture. I think if she could get the intimacies right it could be a truly sensational story.

I really enjoyed Elinor's parents as well. There was much to recommend this book, and I plan to expand on that more later when I get a chance.

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

*Spoiler territory again*

This time I am just going to focus on parts l really enjoyed. As already mentioned, the details were great. Some of the scenes that I found fun were the Etruscan dig, and I really relished the scene where Tremaine approaches the marchese to suggest the union between Rycote and Lissandra. I am not entirely certain why, but I think it was because it felt very authentic.

I liked how into each other Elinor and Harry were when they finally got together. It was very sweet and had a young love feel to it. I also liked how they worked together as a team to solve problems, each brought their strengths and weaknesses, and it made me believe in their HEA.

I do hope we see more of Harry's sisters in the series. I was intrigued by them and would like to see them get their own stories.

message 37: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Yeah, I see what you mean about that lack of pain comment being the only identifier that she was a virgin. Similarly, there was no mention of Harry's sexual history, which was really odd for a HR. The hero is almost always described as very experienced sexually, whether it be with whores, widows, or married women. Most authors feel the need to explain all the bedroom tricks learned. Alternatively, there is the rare virgin hero; but it is called out to explain some aspect of his character or his nervousness or something. In this case, we don't really know if Harry was a virgin or experienced; and if so, how much.

I also liked what a great team they made. There was the beginning when Harry didn't feel worthy of Elinor and ended up acting like a jerk (plausible), but Marek didn't drag it out too long. I hate it when some character's mindset or self-esteem is the ONLY roadblock to happily ever after, and the author and characters revisit it over and over again. Once Harrry kissed Elinor, it was all over. He told her he loved her, asked her to marry him, and was honest about his family and doubts with both her father and her. I appreciated that. No yo-yoing back and forth after his declaration.

message 38: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana wrote: "Yeah, I see what you mean about that lack of pain comment being the only identifier that she was a virgin. Similarly, there was no mention of Harry's sexual history, which was really odd for a HR. ..."

I thought it was odd there was no mention of Harry's prior experience, if he had any, either.

I also liked there was no yo-yoing -which drives me nuts. There was a hint of it, but Elinor nipped it in the bud.

message 39: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments I put the second book in the series on hold at the library, so I'll be starting it within the next couple weeks.

message 40: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok. Do you want to BR again for it? It wasn't available at my library, so I bought it digitally.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "I put the second book in the series on hold at the library, so I'll be starting it within the next couple weeks."

I'm so envious that you can get this at your library!

message 42: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I put the second book in the series on hold at the library, so I'll be starting it within the next couple weeks."

I'm so envious that you can get this at your library!"

Me too!

message 43: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 15, 2017 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I completed ch 13 this am as I was not due at work until 12:30. For you who have finished the book, just finished at the point where Prince S has found wall paintings/frescoes in a cave, er was it a tomb?

I am enjoying this book. My lagging behind everyone is NOT because I don't like the book. It's a very impressive debut.

I'm loving all of the different things that are going on.

Here's what's on my mind about this book (I did not read those spoilers above!):

1) Lady Penworth is an awful chaperone of her own daughter! At the beginning of the book, Elinor is dancing at a ball with a known fortune-hunting cad. Harry intervenes to get her away from that creep. Where was Lady Penworth?

Also while at the prince's castle Elinor is out on the terrace enjoying the lemon trees by herself when she has to deal with nephew being impertinent and dealing with his importuning her. Why is she wandering in the prince's house alone? Her mother is a terrible chaperone.

2) Later in the book, they keep painting h bro Rycote(?) as this stuffy starchy stickler. Elinor was with her bro when this fortune hunter introduced himself and proceeded to dance with her. Why wasn't she with her mother in the first place?

3) Elinor hads complained that Harry treats her like a child. She certainly enjoys saying silly things to Harry to get him worked up like telling him she wanted to go off with fortune-hunting cad to kiss him. She keeps trying to deliberately make Harry jealous with the princes aggressive fortune-hunting nephew.

4) why is the prince telling Elinor that his nephew is poor, and wants a rich wife since nephew doesn't want to work for a living? If the nephew can hook himself an heiress, prince won't have to put up with paracite sponging nephew and the contessa living in his house for financial support?

5) how does the prince benefit by ruining nephew's effort to try to ingratiate himself (nephew) with Elinor? How are the Prince's finances? Keeping up a palace in town, a castle and other property plus his "hobby" of hiring workers to dig up tombs and paying guards to keep tomb robber out. The prince described in great detail how money is made by selling antiquities found in these tombs at very large profit. Does the prince need money? Does he have designs on Elinor?

6) Also, Harry is kind of portrayed as a possessive, jealous, cranky fellow. But I'm wondering if Harry's perceptions of the prince patting Elinor's hand while prince walks in garden with Elinor (where he outs his nephew's need/plans to secure a fortune through marriage), and nephews behavior are what is real? Is he really seeing real danger for Elinor where no one else is seeing it?

Both Elinor and Lissandra have this "I can take care of myself vibe" --though neither have said these words, but neither seem to recognize dangerous situations or dangerous people.

message 44: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Jun 15, 2017 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

1) agree, not a good chaperone. They do act a bit as though nothing bad will befall them. At least she teaches Elinor to defend herself in a way.

2) I got the impression Rycote wasn't so stuffy before Harry went away. His way of coping with the loss. This is addressed to some extent later.

3) I thought it as interesting how freely Elinor admits to putting on a facade in certain company. I think she baits Harry because she is not quite sure how to act normal around him anymore, definitely trying to provoke him.

4) Wait and see, and you don't have to wait long.

5) I get the impression the Prince is rich, and he is just always interested in making money, maybe? I imagine he sees some of his peers not doing well and is hedging. Not sure this made an impression on me.

6) Yea, I think I wondered that too. True motive of both are not far ahead for you

Yea, I think both Elinor and Lissandra are similar in spirit.

message 45: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Joanna wrote: "Ok. Do you want to BR again for it? It wasn't available at my library, so I bought it digitally."

Yes, I do!

message 46: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments I can agree that her mother is a poor chaperone, but I got the impression that it was because she trusted her daughter and did not feel she had to always look over her.

I am spoiled. I have a wonderful public library with about 75% of the books I want to read, certainly more than many libraries.

Andrea, I am interested to find out what you think by the end. A lot is yet to happen.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "I can agree that her mother is a poor chaperone, but I got the impression that it was because she trusted her daughter and did not feel she had to always look over her.

I am spoiled. I have a wond..."

Mariana,

It's one thing for Lady Penworth to trust Elinor, what I'm getting at is I feel Elinor has been vulnerable to wrong doing by others, left with her bro who let her go off to dance with a cad and wandering around the Prince's house alone!

message 48: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2261 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I can agree that her mother is a poor chaperone, but I got the impression that it was because she trusted her daughter and did not feel she had to always look over her.

I am spoile..."

True. I cannot disagree with you. This definitely sets the stage for all kinds of potential situations. You definitely picked this out better and faster than I did.

message 49: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 15, 2017 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Holy smokes!

Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

One of the Overdrive collections I use has book 2 of this series!

Edit

Hoopla has the first 3 books of this series! I'm so used to having to buy HR books too! I'm shocked!

message 50: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hehehe.....oh so funny

« previous 1