Nature Literature discussion

Book of the Month > July 2017 suggestions

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Norman | 685 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

I am taking suggestions for the July Book of the Month until next Sunday when the poll will go up. Please make your nomination here and try to include a link if you can.

Thanks,
Becky

message 2: by Sher (new)

Sher (sheranne) | 988 comments Mod
Has this group already read The Hidden Life Of Trees?

message 3: by Becky (new)

Yes, just read in March this year, Sher. Here is the list of all the books that have been BOTMs: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 4: by Sher (new)

Thank you -- I have been away for 6 months, so I wasn't sure.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Hauswirth | 44 comments Hi all. Speaking of The Hidden Life of Trees, I keep hearing rave reviews! Must add it to my list.
I would also like to share that I have just published a book of nature writing! It's called The Book of Noticing: Collections and Connections on the Trail: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
I would love to share it with the group, and welcome the group's feedback/questions.

message 6: by Andree (new)

Andree Sanborn (meeyauw) | 126 comments Katherine wrote: "Hi all. Speaking of The Hidden Life of Trees, I keep hearing rave reviews! Must add it to my list.
I would also like to share that I have just published a book of nature writing! It's called The B..."

I would but there's no Kindle edition. :-(

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Hauswirth | 44 comments Thanks, Andree. Good point!! The good news is that my publisher anticipates a Kindle edition in July. I'd be happy to post to the group again when a Kindle edition is available, just to share the info with any who may be interested.

message 8: by Andree (new)

Andree Sanborn (meeyauw) | 126 comments Katherine wrote: "Thanks, Andree. Good point!! The good news is that my publisher anticipates a Kindle edition in July. I'd be happy to post to the group again when a Kindle edition is available, just to share the i..."
thank you! I look forward to that. Especially for summer vacation.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Hauswirth | 44 comments Great--thanks for your interest!

message 10: by Margi (last edited Jun 05, 2017 06:25PM) (new)

Margi Prideaux | 7 comments I am new into this group, so the group may have read this already, but what about 'Wild Roots – Coming Alive in the French Amazon', by Donna Mulvenna ?
https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Roots-Com...

message 12: by Ray (new)

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments The Rediscovery of North America
Barry Lopez

“How, then, do we come to know the land, to discover what more may be there, more than merchantable timber, grazeable prairies, recoverable ores, damable water, netable fish?”

Lopez poses this question well into his short book which tells the story of colonialism in the Americas beginning with the first landfall in 1492. He draws on historical records, including the writings of Bartolome de las Casas, a man who accompanied the conquistadores and later became a priest. He describes some of the atrocities committed in those early days and claims that they set a precedent of wealth at all costs which reverberates through Manifest Destiny and contemporary politics. He names many of the tribes evicted from their lands and mourns the languages and cultures lost. He proposes a new relationship with the land and the native peoples which resonates in the debates about landscape and native peoples underway right now in 2017.

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Hauswirth | 44 comments Ray the Barry Lopez group sounds interesting!

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Hauswirth | 44 comments Sorry--Barry Lopez book, not group

message 15: by Sher (new)

Margi wrote: "I am new into this group, so the group may have read this already, but what about 'Wild Roots – Coming Alive in the French Amazon', by Donna Mulvenna ?
https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Roots-Com......"

Hi Margi--this one looks really interesting to me. Fresh.

Sher

message 16: by Sher (new)

I nominate Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

Considering Space falls into the category of Nature, and we did read a book about light and darkness. This topic sounds fascinating, and I think we'd learn a lot! Plus strong reviews for enjoyable too.

What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There’s no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson.

But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day.

While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe.

message 17: by Sher (new)

Andree wrote: "or

Oranges
by John MacPhee"

Oh my- this one looks really interesting too!

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) I remember hearing such good reviews about this book when it first came out, but never got around to reading it.

The Tiger A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

Another book I've never read, but have always wanted to:

Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell

message 19: by Letícia (last edited Jun 09, 2017 07:40AM) (new)

Letícia | 2 comments Judy wrote: "I remember hearing such good reviews about this book when it first came out, but never got around to reading it.

The Tiger A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John VaillantThe Tig..."</i>

Hi everyone! I'm new into this group too.

[book:Ring of Bright Water
seems a good book to me!

message 20: by Letícia (new)

Letícia | 2 comments Margi wrote: "I am new into this group, so the group may have read this already, but what about 'Wild Roots – Coming Alive in the French Amazon', by Donna Mulvenna ?
https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Roots-Com......"

This one seems realy nice too, Margi.

message 21: by Becky (new)

Thanks, everyone. This thread is now closed and the poll is going up.