What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Young adult ghost romance read in 1997 or 1998; teenage girl moved into a house in the summer and falls in love with a ghost who haunts there. I think he can show her his life, before he died, which I think was a long time ago

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isolde (new)

Isolde | 3 comments I spent middle school in Florida, eighth grade to be specific. Although before and after was in central ny. Only mention this because I don't know if the book is central to that area.

I have recreated a library of books that stuck with me over the years, authors who inspired me over the years. There is only one book that I only read once and have not found for my library, I cannot even truly remember if it was a good book or good just for that age.

I remember a teenage girl moved into a house in the summer and falls in love with a ghost who haunts there. I think he can show her his life, before he died, which I think was a long time ago. Granted I know this is all vague but I got the book for the library in Tampa Florida in 1997 or 1998 and still think about it 20 years later - so the story had to be intriguing - but more and more the details escape me every year.

Can anyone help me? I remember the kisses of a ghost, they are teenagers, I don't remember if he can leave the house but I think not, which makes her spend her days there in hopes of being with him - I think there is a great sadness in the book or a growing experience in parting ways - something of the effect or why would the story stay with me all these years?

Basics - girl in house/mansion as teenager - meets boy ghost her age - falls in love - problem with being in love with someone from another time period who is no longer alive - beyond that could be my own imagination messing with the storyline - don't believe there is more than kisses and emotions

message 2: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (rivertam) | 91 comments Maybe the mediator series by Meg Cabot?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34351 comments Mod
The Mediator series by Meg Cabot - Shelley's suggestion - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4166...

message 4: by Isolde (new)

Isolde | 3 comments Thanks for responding - I'll read the first book in the series tonight, but I don't think this is the book. I don't believe it was a series. And I moved back to NY in 1999 - and I know I read this book when in FL. This book was published in 2000 - so I don't see how it could be that series.

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph | 27 comments Hmm...I can think of a few that might fit the description, but I think we need more details. Do you perhaps remember a key scene or plot point in the story that might help jog a memory here...maybe where the story takes place or how the ghost originally died? If giving away any spoilers is an issue just remember to tag the spoiler bits so Goodreads can hide them...

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34351 comments Mod
Isolde, what's the location - U.S./England/country, region, big city/small town?

When do you think the ghost boy lived - 1960s, turn of the century, American Civil War, etc.?

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) This is a long shot but could it be Another Time, Another Love
It was published in 1995 so it would be around your time period your looking for. The story takes place over Christmas or winter vacation, she goes to a graveyard and meets a British soldier, he is a ghost, he transports her back to his time where they walk create memories.

Again it's a long shot but I have reread this books many times since I bought it at a scholastic book fair.

message 8: by Isolde (new)

Isolde | 3 comments She is a teenager in the 90s I believe - as I said I lost the details of the book a long time ago - I feel there were kisses in the library - I think he didn't come into her room - she sought him out - He was definitely a ghost - I feel she had to sneak out one night and I don't remember if it had any thing to do with him - I think she crawled out the window - her room second floor - don't know if there was a mystery in the book - might just be a coming of age - or maybe the mystery was setting him free? I can't remember - I really can't and that's what makes me have to find it. I read stories I love over and over - maybe it's cause I only read it once and thought I should reread that but then I moved. That's why I say honestly I don't know if it was a good book or good for that age. Sorry I know it's not much to go on - I can tell you it was near L J Smith's Secret Vampire in the library - that's was another book that I read at the time - probably even checked out at the same time - but it was easier to find that story because I remembered her name was Poppy. I know I'm off no help now but that's why I put it out there.

message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 206 comments Could it be Elswyth Thane's Tryst? (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35...) It would have been an older book when you read it in the 90s, but has plot elements like those you mentioned.

message 10: by Steph (new)

Steph | 27 comments Ghost Behind Me by Eve Bunting sounds similar in plot, and would've been on the shelves at a local library at about the time you're describing: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

If all else fails, someone has a pretty good Listopia going on here that has a bunch of books published around the time you're looking for too. All YA paranormal if I'm not mistaken, which would be the proper tag for the book you're describing: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

Hey, if you can remember what the cover looked like for that book it might even be easier to find...

message 11: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Paugh (kpaugh) | 1 comments was it The Changeover? This is the book I was looking for when I found your post. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 13: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5094 comments Tryst, Ghost Behind Me, and The Changeover are books that have been mentioned, for future reference.

message 15: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (gizmo_lilo) | 138 comments Tab wrote: "Maybe, Appointment with a StrangerAppointment with a Stranger by Jean Thesman ?"

I was thinking this one too!

message 16: by Linda (last edited Oct 17, 2019 04:03PM) (new)

Linda | 25 comments It doesn't quite sound the same -- it's set in New Zealand and it's about a Christmas, not a summer vacation -- but The Tricksters The Tricksters by Margaret Mahy by Margaret Mahy includes a girl falling in love with a ghost and the unravelling of a family mystery.

message 18: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16888 comments Still looking, Isolde?