Play Book Tag discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
June 2017: Coming of Age > The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2215 comments Fifteen-year-old Charlie is about to start his first year of high school. He is a brilliant, sensitive, caring boy with no friends; everyone sees a certain strangeness in Charlie. Step-siblings Patrick and Sam are seniors at the same high school and they take Charlie under their wings and into their circle of friends. Charlie is immediately smitten with the beautiful Sam but she feels nothing but friendship for the younger boy. Through a series of letters to an anonymous "Dear Reader", Charlie tells the story of his freshman year, the deep friendships and secrets he shares with Patrick and Sam, and how he learns to participate in life instead of always being the observant wallflower.

I really enjoyed this short novel and liked the characters very much. Charlie is the sweetest young man who is hiding a deep pain that has caused him to spend many hours on a psychiatrists couch. His family is supportive but his two older siblings are typical teenagers more adept at squabbling than showing affection. However, when the chips are down, Charlie and his family love one another deeply and are unfailingly comforting. It is a great read and I recommend it.

Rachel N. | 1529 comments I'm glad you liked it. I read it earlier this year and really liked it too.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I think I'll try to get to this this month.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6000 comments I'm about half-way through the audio on this right now. The narrator is EXCELLENT!

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1365 comments I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I've thought about reading it, but I wasn't sure. I'm kind of more interested in the movie at this point. But, maybe the movie will tip the scale for me and I'll want to read it more.

message 6: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "But, maybe the movie will tip the scale for me and I'll want to read it more. "

Least of all the movie is entertaining to see Emma Watson doing an American accent!

Kelly | 817 comments I liked this book also!