The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.10 - BellaGBear's Task: Old Love and New Love

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2017 03:03AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5176 comments Mod
25.10 - BellaGBear's Task: OLD LOVE AND NEW LOVE

Every challenge I got the opportunity to do two things I normally would not do: reading books I would never pick for myself and re-reading old favourites. Therefore this is a two-part task. Read two books, one from the A option and another from the B option.

Books whose main page lists any of these genres: Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may be used for this task.

Option A: Unexpected pleasures
Pick one of the three option below and state which one you chose. For this option, read a book you haven’t read before written by an author you haven’t read before either. REQUIRED: Indicate when you post that you haven’t read the book before and that the author was previously unfamiliar to you.

Option 1: to find the good in bad
Every time I participate in the SRC I discover new favourite books I would never have read without the challenge and sometimes even expected to dislike. Therefore read a book on the first three pages of one of these lists:
The Most Begun "Read But Unfinished" (Initiated) Book Ever
Favorite Poorly-Rated Books
REQUIRED: Indicate which list you chose and the page you found the book on.

Option 2: Maybe those aliens aren’t that bad
A lot of people shy away from sci-fi, without a good reason in my opinion. Therefore read a book with a main page genre of ‘science-fiction’ or ‘aliens’. Genre may be embedded

Option 3: Wise women and men say it’s good, but is it?
I am always curious to the books that win big awards, such as the Nobel Prize for literature, but rarely give myself the time to read them. Therefore for this option read a book written by an author from this list:

Nobel Prize in Literature winners
Indicate the author when posting this task.

For option B, a book you have read
Pick one of the three option below and state which one you chose. For this option, read a book that is a re-read for you. REQUIRED: Indicate when you post that this book is a re-read for you.

Option 1: So amazing, I did it all again. Immediately.
Read a book you also finished in the spring challenge of 2017, if you did not participate in that challenge re-read a book you finished in March, April or May 2017.

REQUIRED: If you read a book you read last challenge state for which task you read the book. Spring Challenge 2017 Tasks
REQUIRED: If you did not participate in the Spring 2017 challenge indicate when you finished the book before.

Option 2: revisiting childhood love
Re-read a book you have read before you were 18 and loved, but haven’t read since. Indicate when posting that you haven’t read the book since you were 18.
Optional: tell what you thought of the book upon re-reading and if it was a good idea to re-visit old childhood loves.

Keep in mind the SRC guidelines for childrens books before posting

Option 3: go with the crowd

Read a book from the first 3 pages of this list: Popular to Reread Books. Keep in mind that you must choose a book you’ve read before.
REQUIRED: State the page on which you found the book.

message 2: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments claim

message 3: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments claim

message 4: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Claim

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5176 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4200 comments UGH! The re-readers are ganging up on me! I am a non-re-reader and find tasks such as this one extremely challenging. One of the reasons I do not re-read is that I remember the story too well so it seems dull and boring to me to wade through a story I know. I chose The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, whose story I know well but cannot remember reading...so long ago...more than 60 years.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3648 comments Bea wrote: "UGH! The re-readers are ganging up on me! I am a non-re-reader and find tasks such as this one extremely challenging. One of the reasons I do not re-read is that I remember the story too well so it..."

I agree with you, Bea. I only reread books when forced to I figure the older I get the less time there is to read books I haven't read before and there are so many good books out there that I have not read. I don't object to rereading per se, many things can be noticed the second (or more) times around, it's just not my personal preference. But I'm a rule follower and I reread when I'm told that is the only option.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7852 comments Bea - I'm the same way :) I'm trying to go back AS FAR AS POSSIBLE on a re-read

message 9: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Oooooh, I'm really enjoying Option B1! As soon as I finished The Hate U Give, I instantly wanted to re-read it but I try not to read anything outside of SRC (it's hard enough for me to keep up).

I'm already re-reading something from childhood for another task, and I'm amazed at how much a childhood favorite is really not resonating anymore.

Picking a re-read is probably going to be my favorite part of this task!

message 10: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 999 comments Sally wrote: "Oooooh, I'm really enjoying Option B1! As soon as I finished The Hate U Give, I instantly wanted to re-read it but I try not to read anything outside of SRC (it's hard enough for me to keep up).

..."

I agree Sally! I have been wanting to reread And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie since I read it 30 years ago. But since SRC is already hard to finish, I didn't feel like I could justify rereading it. Now I can!

message 11: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Please verify Natural Selection for science fiction

message 12: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Please verify Natural Selection for science fiction"

noted

message 13: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 329 comments Can you verify Double Down as Science-Fiction, please?

Thank you! :)

message 14: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Siobhan wrote: "Can you verify Double Down as Science-Fiction, please?

Thank you! :)"

noted

message 15: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 25, 2017 04:03AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18116 comments Mod
Please verify that Platypus: The Extraordinary Story of How a Curious Creature Baffled the World appears on page 2 @ 167 of poorly rated books. The list maker removes books from the list if the ratings change.

message 16: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Please verify that Platypus: The Extraordinary Story of How a Curious Creature Baffled the World appears on page 2 @ 167 of poorly rated books. The list maker removes books from the l..."

Confirmed

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18116 comments Mod
BellaGBear wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Please verify that Platypus: The Extraordinary Story of How a Curious Creature Baffled the World appears on page 2 @ 167 of poorly rated books. The list maker removes ..."

Thanks

message 18: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 329 comments BellaGBear wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Can you verify Double Down as Science-Fiction, please?

Thank you! :)"

noted"

Thanks! :D

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7852 comments the re-read is REALLY hard - most of the children's books I can remember from my childhood - don't show up in ARbookfinder (the authors don't even show up in a search)

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3903 comments Dee wrote: "the re-read is REALLY hard - most of the children's books I can remember from my childhood - don't show up in ARbookfinder (the authors don't even show up in a search)"

There are two other options for re-read that don't require that you read it as a child ....

message 21: by Eunice (new)

Eunice | 31 comments Can you verify The Gunslinger as sci-fi? Thanks :)

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3903 comments For A-2 ... Please confirm SCIENCE FICTION
Groot by Jeff Loveness

Thanks in advance ...

message 23: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Eunice wrote: "Can you verify The Gunslinger as sci-fi? Thanks :)"

confirmed

message 24: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Book Concierge wrote: "For A-2 ... Please confirm SCIENCE FICTION
Groot by Jeff Loveness

Thanks in advance ..."

confirmed

message 25: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Rose (biancarose) | 249 comments Please confirm How to Stop Time for Science Fiction.

message 26: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Bianca wrote: "Please confirm How to Stop Time for Science Fiction."

confirmed