Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 99K YA Urban Fantasy ~ 2nd Round

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Jun 05, 2017 11:19PM) (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Hello, hello, everyone! I'm Alex, and I'm looking for about 10-15 people who are interested in beta-reading my first novel THE ROSE VENDETTA. This is the second round so most grammatical things should be taken care of, and should flow much better. The objective of this round is a final pass with other people to see if there is anything else that needs to be revised or edited before I finally pursue querying an agent (optimistically, later this year). I'm looking for your opinions on the characters, the plot, themes, generally - I'm looking for your input as a reader. If you can offer an "editor's" perspective or any insight to help with the quest for traditional publishing that will be swell.

Excerpt from my Query Letter:
Eighteen-year-old Rose is just trying to adjust to college, decide on a major, and figure out how she can ask her friend of two and half years out on a date; she didn’t ask to be a pawn in a plot set in motion long before she was born. For months, she has dealt with the recurring vision a blonde doppelgänger running to a basement magic room as a castle burns down around her.
This was just the beginning.
After a man attempts to kidnap Rose one night after leaving the gym, she is saved by a mysterious stranger who forces Rose to learn the truth of her existence via a vial of blood. She is the reincarnation of Emelia, a witch, who grants Rose powers infinitely greater than any other witch. With this power, Rose is meant to vanquish the man that made Emelia into the revenge-obsessed monster she was.
But something went wrong.
Emelia’s soul is trapped within Rose with no choice but one if she hopes to succeed – surrendering the memories of her former life to Rose. But death has a way of alternating history and forgetting key details. Emelia’s memories break apart Rose’s identity piece by piece so she can become the successor of one of the most powerful witches to ever exist. There are those who would use Rose for her powers, if not kill her if she won’t unite to their cause. Rose needs to work fast before she loses what’s left of her identity, or perhaps her life.

The novel is under 100K, but I know it will take some people a while. I would like the process to be done by Fall (August, September) but I will not rush you. You can choose to read 1-3 chapters at a time. There are 25 chapters total so if you choose to do 3 chapters per week, it should take about 2 months (give or take, depending on your speed). If you do only 1 chapter per week, again, I will not rush you. Your feedback is valuable to me.
I ask that you let me know if you cannot continue, for whatever reason, rather than ghosting. (This happened too much last beta round.)
PLEASE answer the beta questions at the end of each chapter provided. Yes, there are a lot, and yes, a few will repeat so I can gauge how the story evolves for you as you read it.

I would be OPEN to swapping manuscripts with someone else with a story that is similar to mine in length. I am fine with YA/NA/A and most fiction genres (doesn't need to be UF, can be Contemporary/SF etc). Perhaps 2 or 3 depending on some personal things.

If you are interested, I can send you the first chapter/swap with you to see if you would like to continue. Send me a PM or an email at rockcommandos@gmail.com

Thanks for your time!

message 2: by Dakota (new)

Dakota Rayne | 199 comments Mod
Fyi it is strictly against board policy to solicit on the free board. So in the effort to maintain boundaries for rules that recently got very out of hand, please post on the authors asking for paid services board.

Thanks!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Dakota wrote: "Fyi it is strictly against board policy to solicit on the free board. So in the effort to maintain boundaries for rules that recently got very out of hand, please post on the authors asking for pai..."

I'm not sure I understand? I'm seeking ~free~ betas not paid ones?

message 4: by Dakota (new)

The last line of your post asks paid betas to leave comment for next time. They would violate rules if they did. That's what I was referring to.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments OH, okay, I understand.

The last time I advertised for betas I had a lot offering paid services so I wanted to avoid that. Sorry, I'll take that out right now.

message 6: by Dakota (new)

If you get solicitations from posts on the free boards let me know. That shouldn't happen.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Dawn (heatherfeather2019) | 8 comments I'd like to give this book a go! It's a genre I enjoy. If you'd like me to read, my email is: h.sowalla@gmail.com