The Blo/No Literary Alliance discussion

Gentleman in Moscow > (8) Nicknames

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenichenny) | 61 comments Mod
I found it interesting the Count reflects on how Russian writers always confuse readers by calling one character by multiple names. Alexander, Sasha, the Count. Then Towles goes on to do it himself with characters.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bloch | 26 comments Yes - the joy of Russian novels. I have to make a chart with every character's name, nickname, descriptor, etc.

message 3: by Jen (new)

I know you don't read much fiction but this method reminded me of the novel Gold Fame Citrus. They book describes every person, place and thing in 15 different ways and then references them later based on a nickname or characteristic and you have to remember who or what they mean.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bloch | 26 comments Wow. That would definitely be a "make a chart" book. I tried reading Game of Thrones but there were too many characters to keep track of and I hated reading 3 pages of backstory on a character who got killed on the the next page.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Sharon wrote: "Wow. That would definitely be a "make a chart" book. I tried reading Game of Thrones but there were too many characters to keep track of and I hated reading 3 pages of backstory on a character who ..."

Yeah those books are a bit daunting.