The Blo/No Literary Alliance discussion

Gentleman in Moscow > (5) The relation of Food and Drink in the novel.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenichenny) | 61 comments Mod
Food and drink are important to the count. How is this evident in the story, and did his enjoyment of food and wine change or enhance the way you experienced the novel?

message 2: by Jen (new)

The count really believed in the art of being a gentleman. The strongest demonstration of this was through food and drink. ordering the right pairings, serving the proper way, etc. I think it shows how truly humbled he was, and had made peace with his circumstance when he became a waiter. In the beginning he was the customer noticing the errors of improper manners and now here he was serving others and living by those standards.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bloch | 26 comments I don't anything about wines, so I'm sure I missed some things. That's a good point about his becoming a waiter. Remind me - why did he become a waiter. Was it just for something to do or did he need to make a living? I thought his being a waiter was a way for him to preserve the old way of doing things, even though the world had changed.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Sharon wrote: "I don't anything about wines, so I'm sure I missed some things. That's a good point about his becoming a waiter. Remind me - why did he become a waiter. Was it just for something to do or did he ne..."

They never flat out said why, but since he had all that gold in the desk I don't think he needed to. I think just to fill time and since he was known for knowing the right things to do at the proper times. His business was how to be a gentleman and as a waiter in a posh hotel he could demonstrate that.

What did you think of the scene where the bishop removes all the wine labels? I get his point of wanting to make everything equal but it comes across as so ridiculous it just served to show how fragile the revolution was to care about something like that.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bloch | 26 comments From what little I know of that period, it does like something the communists of that time would do. Got to make everyone equal. But of course, the count was able to beat them. And that was the problem with the whole system. In theory everyone was supposed to be equal, but there was always someone circumventing the system. That was a very clever scene.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Sharon wrote: "From what little I know of that period, it does like something the communists of that time would do. Got to make everyone equal. But of course, the count was able to beat them. And that was the pro..."

yeah. It was a cool way to show the reader the authors opinion of the party without saying it.