The Blo/No Literary Alliance discussion

Gentleman in Moscow > (3) A novel of purpose

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenichenny) | 61 comments Mod
This book is defined as a novel of purpose. In that is poses the question "how does one build a life when all purpose for living has been stripped away?"

I think it takes a strong person to keep going when purpose is stripped away. I think even in the moments the Count didn't have purpose his purpose became to behave like a Gentleman.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bloch | 26 comments I really liked the Count's whole philosophy that you either make the best of your circumstances or your circumstances make you. I would have crumbled.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenichenny) | 61 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "I really liked the Count's whole philosophy that you either make the best of your circumstances or your circumstances make you. I would have crumbled."

Agreed. I think his attitude is really what makes his situation here. and in return look at the lives he touched because of being able to stay strong and continue to live.

what did you think of the twist that he didn't even write the poem that saved him? It really gave new purpose to why he was there,

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bloch | 26 comments That did surprise me, and it's such a Russian thing too. I remember talking about how Chekov and Doestoevsky (spelling) do that in my Russian Lit class.