Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Crosstalk - Connie Willis - 3*

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments This book is set in a near future where communication has taken over the world–a bit more than it already has, that is. There exists something called an EED, where couples get brain surgery to be “emotionally connected.” Briddey Flannigan and her boyfriend get one, but it doesn’t work as advertised; instead of feeling her boyfriend’s emotions, Briddey starts hearing somebody else’s voice–and then eventually everybody’s voice.

I’ve read Connie Willis’s Oxford Time-Traveller’s series and loved it, but I have to say this one didn’t do it as much for me. If we compare it to To Say Nothing of the Dog, which also has romance as a big plot point (but not the only one), the humour was definitely not as present. Since laugh-out-loud comedy is one of the things I love about Willis, this seemed a bit lacking.

Also, Willis has a tendency to go into too much detail, go round in circles, and constantly have characters on the verge of saying something important and having them faint/get interrupted/stop mid sentence and change the subject. While in her other novels, I got irritated by that when I read them for the second time - and knowing what secret a character was hiding, the mystery alone wasn’t enough to keep me focused during every stall -, here I noticed it at once. I mean, the story is over a span of four or five days and the book is 500 pages long! The problem was probably that the “mysteries” weren’t all that difficult to guess, so quite often I wanted them to quit stalling because I’d guessed what they were hiding three chapters before.

So yeah, I didn’t dislike it totally, it was still an amusing read, but I think it would have benefited from being shorter and more to the point. Although I love Connie Willis, I don’t think I’ll be suggesting this one.

message 2: by Karin (last edited Jun 04, 2017 05:43PM) (new)

Karin | 6920 comments Every author has their weakest work, and it sounds like this is hers!