SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

Xenocide- Orson Scott Card

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damian (new)

Damian | 9 comments Xenocide- Orson Scott Card
Reviewed by Damian Cissell

On the planet Lusitania, a deadly virus that kills anything that is not native to the planet threatens a human colony. If it were to get off the planet, the virus would likely spread wide enough to wipe out the entire human race. Ender Wiggin and his family, the colony’s scientists, work to neutralize it rather than destroy it, because every species native to Lusitania will die without it, including the sentient, pig-like beings known as pequeninos. Meanwhile, the government, Starways Congress, has already sent a fleet to destroy the entire planet; they would rather destroy one of their own colonies and an entire alien race than have any risk of the virus spreading from the planet.

This is the third book in the Ender’s Game series, by Orson Scott Card. I think this is a good continuation of Ender Wiggin’s story. Similar to the first book, Ender’s Game, I think it makes you question whether it’s right to destroy one form of intelligent life to save others. There are potentially five forms of life at risk in this story. Those being the humans, pequeninos, buggers, a computer program named Jane, and the descolada virus itself, though the sentience of the virus is up for debate. The humans and buggers will die if the virus isn’t destroyed or controlled, and the pequeninos will die without it. And Jane, a new form of life that the other characters don’t completely understand, risks her life as she tries to help against the incoming fleet. I think it’s an interesting situation, that doesn’t seem to have a right answer, and it made me want to keep reading in order to understand it better.
The only problem I have with this book, and the others in the series, is that Card tends to include a lot of information that doesn’t appear to be significant to the plot. I don’t think this is a problem, it didn’t stop me from finishing this book or the two that came before it. The story is interesting enough that I was able to get through a few boring paragraphs.
I recommend this book to anyone, but if you haven’t already, you should read Ender’s Game and Speaker for the Dead first. If you like those books, you’ll like this one too.

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith Farmer | 14 comments I read the first book in the series and thought it was awesome. Are the other two books just as good as the first?

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 18 comments Mod
I read Ender's Game and then this book. I skipped Speaker for the Dead, though not intentionally. What surprised me is how very different Xenocide is compared to Ender's Game. Ender's Game feels like a teen book and this one seems directed more to an adult audience, possibly because Ender is a much older man in this one (by thousands of years, depending on how you count it!). I do like the moral themes Card brings in -- big questions about how to accept cultural differences and what constitutes life make it a thoughtful read.

message 4: by Dixon (new)

Dixon Livingston | 9 comments Seems like my kind of book(lots of death). Looks like its time to start reading from the beginning.